Is this the end for Ratchet & Clank? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-19-2009, 11:27 AM

Default Is this the end for Ratchet & Clank?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/10/19/g...ank/index.html

Ratchet and Clank on CNN....odd.

Anyway - appears to be the end of the line?

Anyone big fans of this series? You know...I never played any of them. Was thinking about picking this one up...but it sounds like I'd be lost in regards to the story/world.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:29 AM

I played the first two, and didn't get to the third one in order to get ready for Tools of Destruction. I may make another effort to do so when I have time. I fear the Ratchet series could end, possibly due to low sales (let's face it, this game has large potential to be lost in the dust), and due to the fact that Insomniac may possibly be setting it up for a close.

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 10-19-2009, 11:30 AM

Never thought it was interesting myself, I'd be glad if Insomniac worked on something else instead.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnalogKid View Post
You know...I never played any of them. Was thinking about picking this one up...but it sounds like I'd be lost in regards to the story/world.
You wouldn't be lost at all, there's hardly a story. Something about saving the galaxy and a few funny one-liners.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis M. View Post
You wouldn't be lost at all, there's hardly a story. Something about saving the galaxy and a few funny one-liners.
I agree, it would be more like starting at Lethal Weapon 3 instead of 1. You might not get some of the backstory, but is backstory really that important with those?

So yeah, longtime fans will get more out of it, but the game should stand on it's own just fine.

Heck, AMA is selling the download code for Quest for Booty for $10 if you just wanna see if you think you'd like the gameplay.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:20 PM

I want more Jak and Daxter but for some very odd reason Naughty Dog thought we needed a sequel to some game called Uncharted instead.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:40 PM

It won't be the last R&C game. Just like MGS4 is not the last game MGS game... If gamers still want to buy up games for the franchise, who are the devs to say "no" to money while maintaining fan service?

At any rate ND/Insom have proven themselves quite proficient in just about anything they do nowadays. so I'm sure they can go and dabble in whatever the hell they want without too much complaints from fans.

Last edited by Televator; 10-19-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:43 PM

Great series, but ignore the ones that weren't developed by Insomniac (namely Size Matters and Secret Agent Clank) and Deadlocked. In fact, the last game was a download only and is $10 currently. Check it out if you like action platformers.

It's really more about using the right weapons for encounters than actual platforming. There are two demos coming out before the release of the new game.. possibly this Thu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslaught X View Post
I fear the Ratchet series could end, possibly due to low sales (let's face it, this game has large potential to be lost in the dust), and due to the fact that Insomniac may possibly be setting it up for a close.
Sales obviously were never an issue, otherwise we wouldn't be seeing yet another game in the series. They've always achieved their projections, but the latter may be the case. They can't keep doing the same series over and over, so they need to end it at some point (before it get really old.. it's already an 8 years old series). I'm pretty sure that they're itching to do a new game that's not Resistance or R&C.

I'd rather have an end than outsourcing the series. The offshoots were mediocre at best.

On that note, why on earth would YOU fear the series could end? You haven't played the PS3 games yet.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSX2 View Post
Great series, but ignore the ones that weren't developed by Insomniac (namely Size Matters and Secret Agent Clank) and Deadlocked. In fact, the last game was a download only and is $10 currently. Check it out if you like action platformers.

It's really more about using the right weapons for encounters than actual platforming. There are two demos coming out before the release of the new game.. possibly this Thu.

Sales obviously were never an issue, otherwise we wouldn't be seeing yet another game in the series. They've always achieved their projections, but the latter may be the case. They can't keep doing the same series over and over, so they need to end it at some point (before it get really old.. it's already an 8 years old series). I'm pretty sure that they're itching to do a new game that's not Resistance or R&C.

On that note, why on earth would YOU fear the series could end? You haven't played the PS3 games yet.
I wouldn't say by itself, that it's an issue, but when you combine it with the latter, then at what point is it going to be worth it for Insomniac to continue to developing for?

Anyways, I was fearing for fans of the series if that makes any sense. I mean, it would suck for them. Not to mention, it's not like I dislike the franchise. I realize I'm not caught up with the series, but I'll get around to them some day.

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 10-19-2009, 12:55 PM

As I said, as long as they hit projections, and they have, it's profitable. Some deemed the first PS3 game as a dud but it was a commercial success even if didn't sell as well as the PS2 games.

However, the creative issue is the best guess. Insomniac never half assed their projects, and they'd likely want to to put their efforts into a new franchise than an 8 year old series.

Even longtime series like SF or RE etc. all changed developers within 3-5 years and kept on getting new blood. It's rather commendable for Insomniac to have continued this long.