Something interesting: Batman AA vs Heavenly Sword... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-17-2009, 04:55 AM

Default Something interesting: Batman AA vs Heavenly Sword...

I started playing Batman AA on the PS3 last night and after 3 hours of playing I noticed that the graphics for Batman, Joker and the Commissioner look good but the rest of the characters are low res. It got to me because whenever I had a conversation with another character they would be talking to me while looking into a space that I was not standing in! I then noticed they were much less detailed. It was very disappointing.

The game doesn't immerse me into it as much as I had hoped. I think it's a about a 7.5 out of 10. So with boredom came other thoughts like why don't I put in Heavenly Sword and compare. (I had already played Uncharted 1 a month ago so I was looking at what else I had in my library) Wow! what a difference. The characters are much better realized in H.S. from the details on the face to the levels of emotion given off . I can't believe that this PS3 launch-ish game had the kind of graphics that beat a new game like Batman AA. The story and acting got me quickly immersed into it that I might actually finish it again before finishing Batman AA.

I believe the critics were overly hard on Heavenly Sword. Aside from the fighting that is pretty much the same button mashing, the story, graphics, in-fight cut scenes are excellent. I would rate it higher than Batman AA.

All this made me realize that we are suffering greatly on multi-platform games as obviously the PS3 has a lot more to give us than the Xbox 360 can let us have. Unless a developer says "screw it" and makes the best game they can for both consoles independently, the PS3 shall for ever be held back and we as gamers lose. I look forward to the day the first 3rd party developer trys this. I beleive they would have nothing to lose as the 360 owners will by what they have available and the PS3 owners would do the same. However, MS would then have a lot of explaining to do.

I am extremely happy that Sony foresaw this and is making a lot more games from its 1st party studios. The quality is evident to a level headed person.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:14 AM

Should have posted in smackdown... or not at all...
Old 10-17-2009, 12:04 PM

Batman has much more varied game play then HS. As well its a much longer game with extra stuff to do once you finish the game. As for graphics HS is an arena based fighting game, while batman has much larger environments. So that allowed for better character models in HS.

For story and the way its presentation I still think HS blows almost any other game out of the market. (although uncharted 2 may top that)

But if I could only play batman or HS I would be playing HS.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphjp View Post
Batman has much more varied game play then HS. As well its a much longer game with extra stuff to do once you finish the game. As for graphics HS is an arena based fighting game, while batman has much larger environments. So that allowed for better character models in HS.

For story and the way its presentation I still think HS blows almost any other game out of the market. (although uncharted 2 may top that)

Well..Batman AA runs on the Unreal Engine, which has always performed better on the Xbox, so that could be a reason.

Heavenly Sword was actually a pretty damn good game. I would easily rate it 8.5/10....
Old 10-17-2009, 08:47 PM
Banned

Heavenly Sword is a very good game. Sold my copy, but I played through it about four times. Excellent graphics for its time. The gameplay was simple, and only deep if you wanted it to be. Could have had MUCH better design, and more length. Open world exploration with those graphics would have made it a killer app.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphjp View Post

As far as "cinematic action" games are concerned MGS4 and both Uncharted's easily top out HS.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastGenius View Post
As far as "cinematic action" games are concerned MGS4 and both Uncharted's easily top out HS.
I said story. I prefer the simple story of HS to the overly complicated story of MGS4. Uncharted I thought that story was almost as good as HS, but I preferred HS. Uncharted was a better game though.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:14 PM

I thought Heavenly Sword was a very well done game. It suffered because it was launched at a time when Sony was the official whipping boy of everyone. It is very under appreciated game. Its visuals are still some of the best out there in my opinion, and the animation and facial animation is still better than a majority of games out there including some of the top titles.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgosu View Post
Well..Batman AA runs on the Unreal Engine, which has always performed better on the Xbox, so that could be a reason.
Actually, the performance gap between the two console versions is VERY minimal with that game.

HS is definitely not an "arena based fighting game" as Murphjp said. It just uses a different engine and one of the few games on console that uses 4X MSAA.

The one bad choice IMO, like the PS3's Genji, was opting for better visuals over a smoother overall experience by going for 30Hz. HS often dipped below that too, but it wasn't boring like Genji 2. In action and fighting games, 60Hz makes quite a bit of a difference with the controls and flow of action.

Having said that, the cutscenes are still the best I've seen in a game as far as facial animations are concerned.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:47 PM

With the early success of Uncharted 2, it might be a good time for Heavenly Sword 2. I'm rediscovering the excellence of Heavenly sword 1 all over again and the graphics still look amazing and better than new games like Batman AA!