What the heck happened to MistWalker? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-14-2009, 01:36 PM

Default What the heck happened to MistWalker?

I was just thinking, the last game they released was Lost Odyssey back in February 2008. We're nearing 2 years since that game came out, without even a new game announced. Are they still even around/active? I mean TGS would have been a good time for them to announce something....ANYTHING, but we still have zilch. I'm starting to doubt they'll be doing anymore games anytime soon.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:42 PM

Who know's... Cry-on was canceled. They did a Blue Dragon game for the DS.

I'd love to see Blue Dragon 2 or Lost Odyssey 2. Or even a new IP from them for that matter.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerfaith1982 View Post
I was just thinking, the last game they released was Lost Odyssey back in February 2008. We're nearing 2 years since that game came out, without even a new game announced. Are they still even around/active? I mean TGS would have been a good time for them to announce something....ANYTHING, but we still have zilch. I'm starting to doubt they'll be doing anymore games anytime soon.
Probably still making games, they put out a couple of DS games in 2008. Next gen games take from 2-4 years to develop so them going under the radar for a year isn't too suprising.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:48 PM

Well I just find it odd that they've now gone like 3-4 years without announcing anything next-gen related besides the cancellation of Cry On. Cuz they announced Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon way back like in 2006 or something.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:59 PM

I've heard mad speculation on this subject. The most popular guess I've heard is MGS cut their funding because their previous games did not do enough to establish the 360 as a serious contender in Japan. The other is they made enough profit to go on making games and they're planning a big reveal for their next title.

No one seems to have any real news on what they are doing right now.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:51 PM

I don't expect to hear any announcements till E3 more than likely. Cry-on was their primary focus and that was cut. None of AQ's subsidiaries are working on anything currently for Mistwalker. If anything is being worked on then its only in the design stages by Sakaguchi-san's team. Sakaguchi has mentioned Blue Dragon 2 being in a design phase so I guess its a wait and say for those hoping on a sequel.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm082e View Post
I've heard mad speculation on this subject. The most popular guess I've heard is MGS cut their funding because their previous games did not do enough to establish the 360 as a serious contender in Japan. The other is they made enough profit to go on making games and they're planning a big reveal for their next title.

No one seems to have any real news on what they are doing right now.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was the former considering how MS has been so fucking stupid to cancel funding of titles(Psychonauts) and localization(Phantom Dust, Magatama) in the past. Even SONY realizes sometimes you have to take a hit on a game's profit for prestige for your console's image in the market for all sorts of gamers. Case in point, "Ico". Wasn't that a commercial failure or a modest success and "Shadow Of the Colossus" was still made which I don't recall being a terrible success. However Team Ico is making another game.
MS seems to not have learned this lesson. I would argue taking the hit on sales of Mistwalker games is even more important this gen. for two reasons: 1.Exclusivity costs. It's just not affordable for 3rd party companies or Microsoft to pay these costs for the full gen. It ends up timed but not when it's under MS. Sony realizes this, what will all the titles under them and the variety. 2.This is the ONLY Japanese studio under them. Sure Mistwalker has hired others under them to help development or to mainly develop but it's still not as widespread I suppose if they had another company under them. I mean in number of Japanese game offerings.
I also didn't add the fact of besides Mistwalker adding variety not many others, under the Microsoft Game Studios label, tend to offer any other genre's except for FPS or mainly some shooting element. The only other one I can think of is Rare. Rare has offered an FPS, a sim., a platformer, and a party game. Past that we have "Mass Effect" and that's now multi-platform. Then we have Epic, which is "Gears Of War", "Gears Of War 2". After this we have "Halo 3" and "Halo 3 ODST". Sure you can argue "Halo Wars" but let's compare to Sony. Is "Infinite Undiscovery" under the Microsoft Game Studio label? If it is I'll give them that. Forgot the Human game.
When Sony launched here they had "Genji" and "Resistance". Then we got "Folklore", "Ratchet and Clank: Tools Of Destruction", "Heavenly Sword", "Lair", "Killzone 2", "Resistance 2", "Siren", "Little Big Planet", "Uncharted", "Uncharted 2: Among Thieves", "Infamous", etc. You got Horror, a 2D platformer, 2 tomb raiderlike games with shooting elements and a bit of a puzzler, an exclusive sandbox GTAlike game, an Onimusha Clone, an action RPG, a traditional 3D platformer with some shooting elements, 3 FPS's, (whatever "Lair" is insert here), a button mash hack'n'slash in a 3D context that I've told resembles "God Of War". If you wish to combine "Heavenly Sword" and "Genji" in hack'n'slash then fine but they definitely control different.
Anyway I hope most see my point and I forgot "Warhawk" in that list even.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:00 PM

Maybe MS just became disillusioned with the Japanese market after nabbing jrpgs exclusively (which may not have gone multiplat if japan supported the games on 360). I just think MS can't crack japan cuz japan just hated 360 from the get-go, kinda like it was tainted because the original xbox, even though 360 collectively has had a much more diverse and MANY more japanese titles on the console including multiplats and exclusives
Old 10-14-2009, 04:35 PM

Yeah, Microsoft started off surprisingly strong with the JRPG genre, but seems to have lost most of their steam. Sure they're still making sure they get the more mainstream titles where possible such as Final Fantasy XIII. I think this will probably be the case for a while.

But just looking into the future, the only two unreleased JRPGs that have been announced for the 360 I can find are End of Eternity and Final Fantasy XIII. Neither of them are exclusive.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it looks like the PS3 currently has a monopoly on upcoming JRPG exclusives, timed or otherwise.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:48 PM

As long as I have the system to play them... Demon's Souls!! Damn work!!! Must get my fix!