360 Live Setup:HELP! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-11-2009, 11:03 PM

Default 360 Live Setup:HELP!

I have all linksys router and time warner modem set up in our computer room/office. The theater room is where the xbox is. My laptop gets great wireless reception. I had an linksys access point in my room that allowed you to run at cat 5 cable to the back of the xbox. I used to run this set up through a ps3 and it worked great. Bad news is, my access point died tonight and i've looked at newegg, bestbuy,amazon, walmart and none of the new aps have a spot to plug cat 5 in. How do I go about setting up my xbox live account, when I go to set up it says FAILED!
Old 10-11-2009, 11:06 PM

Well, you could get the (admittedly pricey) Xbox 360 wi-fi adapter.

Or, you could set up a router in bridged mode, though I recommend a computer-savvy friend set that up for you.

I have the same setup as you, and I ran a CAT5 cable under the floor to a switch in the theater room (once I moved to a place this was possible).

Of course, you won't be able to setup your Xbox Live without a network connection!
Old 10-11-2009, 11:09 PM

On the phone w/ xbox right now, I was considering the first option, just trying to see if there is another way, my ap is now lighting up, but very dim.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:59 AM

I bridged the connection between my LAN and wireless. Restarted the router, modem, pc and fired up the xbox. I tried this each time once with a crossover cable, once with a cat 5 cable. Neither time has it worked. If you call 1800-4MY XBOX, all they can say is go buy our wireless adapter. Looking for some help here fellas?
Old 10-17-2009, 09:47 PM

I've got one other option i'm going to try and that is to use my Linksys USB network adapter and see if it works that way. If not, who has their router in one room with their xbox 360 in another room and has the XBOX wireless adapter and it works really well?
Old 10-17-2009, 10:12 PM
Banned

Just call BB Geek Squad they will setup it for a cheap price.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:52 PM

I'd rather die, but thank you for the advice. I used to be a Firedog lol. I ended up going to buy the wireless device to try it and see if it worked. That didn't work either, so I went to Walmart and bought another 360 Elite, this one game with Batman Legos and Pure and hooked it up and it worked instantly. So I took my xbox in my dads office, hooked it all up and ran it directly to the router and it still didn't work. I took it back to BB today and got a refund. I'm pretty sure the unit was simply defective.