Brutal Legend: 5 Days to Release/0 Reviews - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-07-2009, 07:28 AM

Default Brutal Legend: 5 Days to Release/0 Reviews

Although the "world of Heavy Metal" meets Jack Black doesn't exactly sound like an inviting combination to myself, Tim Schafer I do like and he managed to sell me on his enthusiasm about the game on his Jimmy Fallon spot (caught it online via Joystiq...don't like the late night talk show scene much but damned if it isn't cool to see a video game release treated like a hollywood premiere and game developers being seriously interviewed instead of treated like grungy basement dwellers).

In any event, was willing to give this game a look when it comes out but 5 days from release there still isn't a single review that I can find from any of the major reputable sources. What gives? Is there a media blackout, and if so, is there something wrong with the game? Anyone know what the deal is (I'd like to know what people think before the TrU buy 2 get 1 goes into effect). I mean, Uncharted 2 had reviews a month before release (but of course, who would want to block that stream of OMGz and otherwise salivating)

Thanks
Old 10-07-2009, 07:33 AM

Well, it's not entirely uncommon. I'm assuming there probably is a review embargo, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will be a disappointing release.

There is a demo out for it on both PSN and Live...If you didn't know - that may be a good way to at least get a basic idea of what you might be in for up until the reviews drop.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnalogKid View Post
There is a demo out for it on both PSN and Live...If you didn't know - that may be a good way to at least get a basic idea of what you might be in for up until the reviews drop.
Thanks, much appreciated

I've only partially understood embargos. Here is why...I understand they are a tool for controlling the media/PR image of your game to effectively build hype. But, again, 5 days before the game comes out if you have a quality product (ie Uncharted 2) you want everyone to know so they'll go out and get their pre-orders in, etc. 5 days before release if you still haven't allowed reviews to be published you are crushing hype, or maybe even building trepedation.

Maybe that is just me.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:57 AM

I played the demo last night and while it was fun, I don't think the game will get amazing reviews. And the graphics are bland, I don't get why devs don't put more time in their games and take advantage of the PS3.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:23 AM
Watcher of stances

review embargoes are generally a bad omen
Old 10-07-2009, 10:06 AM

Fallout 3, Halo 3/Halo 3: ODST, and GTA IV were all games I believe that had an embargo till at least 5 days to release.

(Fallout 3 had an embargo till the game was released, how lame)

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 10-07-2009, 10:12 AM

I don't see the reason behind the hype. I don't get why the game looks so appealing to everyone and although I typically do not judge games based solely on their demo, this game felt like it was going to suck. I think I will venture into buying inFamous rather than this.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslaught X View Post
Fallout 3, Halo 3/Halo 3: ODST, and GTA IV were all games I believe that had an embargo till at least 5 days to release.

(Fallout 3 had an embargo till the game was released, how lame)
But these are all critic-proof games, except maybe Fallout 3. They would have sold amazingly well in the first couple of days no matter what which is not something you could say about Brutal Legend.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis M. View Post
But these are all critic-proof games, except maybe Fallout 3. They would have sold amazingly well in the first couple of days no matter what which is not something you could say about Brutal Legend.
True, but I figured the issue here was that people were concerned about the quality of the game, not whether it would the lack of reviews would deter sales.

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 10-07-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslaught X View Post
True, but I figured the issue here was that people were concerned about the quality of the game, not whether it would the lack of reviews would deter sales.
Correct and I feel stupid now. Head-banging has a terrible effect on my IQ apparently.