I wish there was a legal way of punching Bobby Kotick in the face for this... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-06-2009, 06:48 PM

Default I wish there was a legal way of punching Bobby Kotick in the face for this...

http://kotaku.com/5375706/activision...v-with-layoffs

Highlights:

Quote:
In April, publisher Activision purchased 7 Studios, then the developer of DJ Hero competitor Scratch the Ultimate DJ. Today, Kotaku has been told by sources close to the studio, it laid off an estimated 30 people from 7 Studios.
Quote:
Activision denied any wrongdoing in its purchase of 7 Studios, saying the buy out was made to "bolster its development capabilities," that it "provided the fledgling developer with much needed financing during these difficult economic times."
Quote:
The 30 or so employees let go today represented approximately half of the entirety of 7 Studios, according to our source. We're attempting to get confirmation from Activision on the accuracy of that figure.
Activision is buying studios JUST to undercut its competition... I can legally punch Bobby Kotick in the face for this bullshit, right?
Old 10-06-2009, 07:00 PM

[stereo typical Italian mobster voice] Eeeeeyyy, forget about it! Capisci? It's business. You know how it is. [/stereo typical Italian mobster voice]
Old 10-07-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy_aka_Rex View Post
Activision is buying studios JUST to undercut its competition... I can legally punch Bobby Kotick in the face for this bullshit, right?
I vote for two kicks to the nuts. Unfortunately the best we can do is boycott the game.. Although that won't be hard in my case since I wasn't interested to begin with.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:44 AM

don't be a sissy Indy, just go punch his ass in real life... you might get kicked off your college football team, after an apology though they'll take you back i'm sure.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy_aka_Rex View Post
http://kotaku.com/5375706/activision...v-with-layoffs

Highlights:

Wow, that's a page out of Microsofts business model of buying out competitors and closing them down.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:05 PM

Kotick has made it clear that his first obligation is to shareholders, second to gamers. And this is what businesses do everywhere. The reasons to buy a competitor are:

- get their revenue (there was none here);
- get their expertise (they already have a similar team in DJ Hero);
- get rid of the competition.

Well, there you go. Dick move? Yes... and business is all about dick moves.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:18 PM

Not much different from when EA attempted to buy Take Two. Only they didn't succeed. You know EA would of gutted everything but Rockstar.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:51 PM

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...-not-heart.ars

Quote:
"We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games."
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...emoves-fun.ars
Old 10-07-2009, 02:42 PM

I mostly agree with the author.

Activision has become a company of dickheads while slowly EA ripened into something rather beautiful.

Just look at what Activision has done and what EA did, thereafter. EA sheltered Tim Schafer's company and supported the development of Brutal Legend, after Activion put the project down. They are the publisher of the longest lasting MMORPG (Ultima Online) and really start to support the community more and more (I never thought I would ever say that about EA).
Old 10-07-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
Kotick has made it clear that his first obligation is to shareholders, second to gamers. And this is what businesses do everywhere. The reasons to buy a competitor are:

- get their revenue (there was none here);
- get their expertise (they already have a similar team in DJ Hero);
- get rid of the competition.

Well, there you go. Dick move? Yes... and business is all about dick moves.
Pretty much - well said.

What the shareholders should be worried about is a CEO that brings this much "heat" though. Because that isn't good for business either.