The Multiplayer Numbers - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-04-2009, 06:10 PM

Default The Multiplayer Numbers

With multiplayer-centric games like MAG having a total of up to 256 players able to square off against each other, I got to thinking, what will be the highest numbers of players for competitive multiplayer and co-op modes on the FPS and 3PS games that are released a few years from now? Next gen?

By next gen, will we hit crazy numbers, something like 500 vs. 500 for a total of 1,000 people in a single multiplayer map? Or will there be a leveling off at some point due to hardware and more importantly, bandwidth limitations?

I suppose it will all depend on whether MAG delivers a smooth experience devoid of disconnections, lagging, and frame stutters -- as well as whether or not it is a financially and culturally successful game. If MAG is a massive hit, will the studios that specialize in shooters step up their game and try to equal or beat 256?
Old 10-04-2009, 06:17 PM

the # is a gimmick, my understanding is MAG is just a segregated round robin of 8 vs 8 or something along those lines.

the # will stay where the fun is at, which likely isn't much higher than the current norm.

nothing like getting killed from 50 different directions and not knowing what hit you.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingtotalass View Post
the # is a gimmick, my understanding is MAG is just a segregated round robin of 8 vs 8 or something along those lines.
Well, that is also the danger, that developers just keep inflating the # to have another bullet point to entice more buyers.

As for MAG, are you talking about the 8 vs 8, as in squads. I remember reading that they will have squads of smaller numbers that add up towards the larger numbers of soldiers on the battlefield. So 32 squads of 8 equal 256, for example.

Quote:
the # will stay where the fun is at, which likely isn't much higher than the current norm.
I agree, large numbers in and of themselves are not the answer. How fun a games multiplayer is depends on other factors than just cramming it full of as many layers that they can fit with the current hardware limitations.

Quote:
nothing like getting killed from 50 different directions and not knowing what hit you.
Yeah, but are 50 people gonna all gang up on one guy? Maybe in a capture the flag scenario where one guy has the flag and the enemy side gangs up on him, but even then, the same person won't always have it every round.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigolopolis View Post
As for MAG, are you talking about the 8 vs 8, as in squads. I remember reading that they will have squads of smaller numbers that add up towards the larger numbers of soldiers on the battlefield. So 32 squads of 8 equal 256, for example.
right, but how does that change the experience from 8 vs 8 is my point. if it's just a round robin it's not really as big as they're making it out to be.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
right, but how does that change the experience from 8 vs 8 is my point. if it's just a round robin it's not really as big as they're making it out to be.
That could be the case. I guess the difference would be in how the battle evolves.

The question is, will one squad of 8 players have the chance to move to new areas and engage any enemy squad they deem fit to attack?

If that is the case then I'd say great, but if they limit you too much to certain areas and the number of opposing player that you can interact with on the map then yeah, what you are saying about it just being 8 vs 8 might be the case.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
No, it's pretty much as promised. Gamepro did a play through way back in June
Quote:
We saw it being played, in real time. A full server with 256 players marching through a collective mission that, for the first time ever in gaming, feels like it could be a real simulation of an actual, massive-scale military assault.

The commander started off the gameplay demo by leading his small party of players against an enemy bunker. His team was one of a dozen scattered around a massive installation, together comprising an allied force 128 players strong. But, the installation they assaulted was itself defended by another 128 players, and the result was pure, unadulterated combat.

He tried calling in an air strike, but it was knocked out by an anti-air battery. The new goal became the battery itself, and so he moved his team forward on foot against an unknown enemy entrenched in bunkers and dilapidated ruins. Climbing up onto the roof of one of the buildings and looking out on the battlefield below, he showed the audience exactly what we wanted to see: hundreds of soldiers spraying bullets across the 40-foot screen
Also, they aren't working on a completely new type of server system for just the same ol shit.

Yes, it's broken down in squads, but thats because...well....thats how war operates.

I posted this in the MAG thread back when this came out during E3. Here is a link to IGN's E3 hands-on with MAG

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/992/992051p1.html

Last edited by TheAnalogKid; 10-04-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnalogKid View Post
No, it's pretty much as promised. Gamepro did a play through way back in June

Also, they aren't working on a completely new type of server system for just the same ol shit.

Yes, it's broken down in squads, but thats because...well....thats how war operates.

I posted this in the MAG thread back when this came out during E3. Here is a link to IGN's E3 hands-on with MAG

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/992/992051p1.html
That sounds like preview talk for 100's of soldiers spraying bullets at each other in sets of 8.

Honestly, that's probably for the better if it's only in 8's. I fail to see how having 40 ppl shoot at you at once could possibly be fun.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:09 PM

In sets of 8's, yes..But I think you are under the impression of it always being a squad of 8 going against another squad of 8. When it's entirely possible for your squad of 8 to run into 3 squads of 8 from the opposing side.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnalogKid View Post
In sets of 8's, yes..But I think you are under the impression of it always being a squad of 8 going against another squad of 8. When it's entirely possible for your squad of 8 to run into 3 squads of 8 from the opposing side.
There would need to be a bottle neck limit at some point.

If you play online enough you learn no matter what the game people are dicks, they find exploits, cheap tactics and use them.

When you have 256 at once you're going to maximize that by a lot. I'm not trying to stir the fanboy feuding pot but I don't think MAG is generally a good idea.

But hey if you guys dig it more power to ya.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
There would need to be a bottle neck limit at some point.

If you play online enough you learn no matter what the game people are dicks, they find exploits, cheap tactics and use them.

When you have 256 at once you're going to maximize that by a lot. I'm not trying to stir the fanboy feuding pot but I don't think MAG is generally a good idea.

But hey if you guys dig it more power to ya.
Have there been any pc games that offered a similiar experience? Eve online sounded sort of similiar. I think the hardest part of the 256 player component is making sure its not a complete clusterfuck. It sounds/seems like that is something they are tackling....

We'll see. I'm all for something that can simulate full-scale battles a little better than whats been done so far.