Best Buy Charging $30 Extra for "Updated" Xbox 360 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-03-2009, 02:29 AM

Default Best Buy Charging $30 Extra for "Updated" Xbox 360

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...dated-Xbox-360

Quote:

Best Buy has apparently come up with an imaginative way to increase its profits on Xbox 360 sales: Busting the systems open, installing the latest system update and then charging 30 bucks extra for the "service."

A Consumerist reader named Bryan sent in a photo of the "updated" Xbox 360 for sale at his local Best Buy, where an employee named Kim had cracked open the unit, put it online and downloaded the latest system update - a process that involves little more than plugging it in, turning it on and pushing a button.

"They are taking brand new Xbox 360 Elites and opening them and updating the system software, and as you can see in the photo, charging people $29.99 for a service that is available for free!" he wrote. "Do they discount these units after they have opened them? Nope, full price for all. I don't know if Microsoft is aware that Best Buy is tampering with the seal and replacing [it] with a Best Buy branded 'Inspected By'."

As you can see from the photo, the "Best Buy Inspection Sticker" isn't exactly top-notch professionalism at work. In fact, if the situation was reversed and the customer had taken home a new 360 and then tried to return it in this condition, he'd probably be refused because he wrote all over the freakin' box.

No word on whether this is a nation-wide Best Buy thing or just something put together by one enterprising store, but I can say for certain that this is far from the only over-priced "service" Best Buy offers to customers who don't know any better. It's far from the worst place in the world to shop, sure, but take the lesson: If you are a buyer, you'd best beware.
Not only do they open your brand new console, they update the dashboard and charge you $30 for the pleasure of it?

Please tell me that no one falls for this shit?

There is no "smack" against MS as they have nothing to do with this hence the Game Room thread
Old 10-03-2009, 02:42 AM

Well shit, sign me up. i hate updating my consoles online. too much work. while im at it, i think ill give best buy another 130 to install my PS3.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:52 AM

Great. They ruined the console before it could even reach the customer.

While not throw in some smelly socks too? Or how about putting some pizza cheese stains on top of the casing?

I am pretty sure that guy didn't even wash his hands before he un-boxed the console.

That's all special, super, uber Best Buy premium service "Pay $30US more and you get an all smelly, used XBOX360 with all bags thrown away and a worn out manual that looks like someone was having a bath with it"
Old 10-03-2009, 03:22 AM

I'd pay $25 for Best Buy to sync my controller to my console for me. What's that SKU?
Old 10-03-2009, 04:42 AM

obviously a hoax.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben7ben3 View Post
obviously a hoax.
You would certainly hope so. Providing someone with an unwanted "service" and charging them for it is not cool at all. I would also be pissed off if I went into Best Buy to buy an Xbox 360 and came out to find that they had washed my car for $30. I didn't fucking ask for it, so I'm not paying for it.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz_uk View Post
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...dated-Xbox-360

Not only do they open your brand new console, they update the dashboard and charge you $30 for the pleasure of it?

Please tell me that no one falls for this shit?

There is no "smack" against MS as they have nothing to do with this hence the Game Room thread
nothing new theyve been doing this stuff since before last black friday. Anyway to increase profits and its little to no work. And yes people will buy them.

The average customer to buy that at best buy is a the dumb parent who doesnt know much but that they are to buying the system for there kid. And the one i worked at was right near the wealthy part of town so there were alot of them.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceNine View Post
You would certainly hope so. Providing someone with an unwanted "service" and charging them for it is not cool at all. I would also be pissed off if I went into Best Buy to buy an Xbox 360 and came out to find that they had washed my car for $30. I didn't fucking ask for it, so I'm not paying for it.
No they arent supposed to force sell that, just ask and try to sell it like a salesman, if that was forced upon the customer, that was bullshit and a store breaking the rules.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:54 AM

The sad thing is is considering just how few people really have to buy into it for Best Buy to rake in cash. Since it doesn't even involve them coming over, they take every penny of that extra $30 and if so many as ten people do it, well, that's the price of an Xbox 360 and they're already offsetting unsold stock.

If a thousand people did it, that's $3 million profit, raw profit at no cost to them whatsoever. Those GeekSquad guys are already on the payroll and they aren't hiring people to do it, obviously. It's ridiculous, just as insane (on principal) as charging to "install" your PlayStation 3. (Though in practice it might be considered moreso because it is $130 to basically plug in two or three cords, hit the power button, and follow step by step instructions)
Old 10-04-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeofTheImmortal View Post
Well shit, sign me up. i hate updating my consoles online. too much work. while im at it, i think ill give best buy another 130 to install my PS3.
Do they also have a deal where when you buy a game, they'll send someone over to play it for you while you watch? I'm, guessing this would be charged "by the hour".

Or how about a service that takes the game disc out of the box and puts it in the system for you? I wouldn't be surprised if an install to the hard drive service for 50 bucks is in the near future.

I can see the wording of the ads now.

DO YOU WANT TO GET TO THE END OF THOSE REALLY HARD TO BEAT GAMES, YET YOU JUST SUCK SO MUCH YOU CAN'T EVEN DO IT ON EASY? LET US SEND A GEEK SQUAD MEMBER TO YOUR HOME TO DO IT FOR YOU.

For an extra $20.00, we'll even feed you and wipe your ass too.

--or--

LET ONE OF OUR EXPERTS INSTALL THAT GAME ON YOUR CONSOLE FOR YOU, SO THAT YOU NEVER HAVE TO WASTE TIME PLACING THE DISC IN THE DVD DRIVE.

Last edited by craigolopolis; 10-04-2009 at 05:45 PM.