universal video capture for 360 games ??? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-02-2009, 07:08 PM

Default universal video capture for 360 games ???

http://kotaku.com/5372976/is-microso...xbox-360-games

Is Microsoft Working on Universal Vid Cap for Xbox 360 Games?
By Brian Crecente, 10:00 AM on Fri Oct 2 2009, 11,589 views (Edit, to draft, Slurp)

In a meeting last week with a game developer at the Tokyo Game Show, I asked them if they were planning on trying to incorporate in-game video capture into their title. The type you see in Halo 3.

The answer was interesting and, I believe, accidental.

"We'd love to have video capture in our game, but why work on something that the platform holder is already developing," said the developer, who I'm keeping anonymous to cover for his accidental slip-up.

The idea of a universal, platform-level video capture system for games seems like a good idea, and one that fits in nicely with the plans that Microsoft has for the Xbox 360.

When I had a chance to sit down with Microsoft's Scott Austin, director of digital games at Live, I asked him about the concept.

Microsoft, I noted, has made it a point to try and drive innovation on their consoles with software. They were the first gaming console to fully, successfully embrace online play when they introduced the Live service on their original Xbox. When the Xbox 360 hit, the software company unveiled Achievements, something that has approached becoming almost a norm among online gaming now.

Could the ability to capture and share videos from games be the next big software development for the Xbox 360?

"We are always thinking about ways that Live at the platform level can make games better," Austin said. "I'm not going to comment on video capture, but you can assume we are thinking about ways to make things more interactive.

"Interactivity used to mean things like multiplayer, now you see more cooperative things in games."

Austin points to the in-game leaderboards of Xbox Live title Shadow Complex and the meta game incorporated in Battlefield 1943 that had all players working to unlock a new map. (The same communal unlock was in the PS3 version of the game as well.)

Communal videos then, I pointed out, seem to be a step in the right direction. And I've heard rumblings of it coming to other top games, like Dead Rising 2.

Austin was coy in his reply.

"We want to have better quality and more immersive experiences," he said. "We are always looking to innovate.

"When innovation becomes table stakes we want to move forward. We want to make all entertainment services more rich with our live services."

So is that a yes or a no?
Old 10-02-2009, 07:10 PM
Watcher of stances

perhaps i'm not seeing the smackdown. comtemplating before moving.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:11 PM

Interesting....this belongs in the Game Room.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:21 PM

It's weak smackdown, but given all the threads about the PS3 using 3D we've had in this forum, I can see why this was posted here.

I think universal video capture would be a great feature. The key would be getting that content into a common file format and putting it on the web without major hassle. Maybe MS is thinking of offering a bit of web space as part of Gold membership so you can post your videos?
Old 10-02-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm082e View Post
It's weak smackdown, but given all the threads about the PS3 using 3D we've had in this forum, I can see why this was posted here.

I think universal video capture would be a great feature. The key would be getting that content into a common file format and putting it on the web without major hassle. Maybe MS is thinking of offering a bit of web space as part of Gold membership so you can post your videos?
Meh, really? I don't consider this smackdown anything. It's not really a function people are going to get much use out of and then I don't wanna filter youtube for the practically guaranteed Uno hour-long play sessions, or the fantastically awesome Scene-It wins.

It's a nice feature but it's not smackdown material.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:56 PM

if you perused youtube you'll find that this feature will in fact be used a lot
Old 10-03-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrbass2000 View Post
if you perused youtube you'll find that this feature will in fact be used a lot
I have and no it wont. I'm sorry but this feature will either be wasted by the masses on crap NO ONE really cares about (and that's what most of youtube is) or it will be used by the hardcore fanatics on things like Halo and the like which will be relegated to cult followings.

I've seen hundreds of videos of dudes trying to play Wiley's Castle from MM2 on their guitar, does that suddenly make MM2 a big deal? Fuck no.

Likewise how many speed-run or GH3 expert-play videos are there on youtube? A LOT. Does that mean it's going to be relevant? Yeah they aren't relevant now, and they sure as hell are won't be if that feature is ever open on ANY console.

Like I said, it's nice to have but it's pointless to the masses.