FF14 Demo for Windows Only (For Now) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-01-2009, 01:24 PM

Default FF14 Demo for Windows Only (For Now)

Quote:
PS3 fans who want to beta test the newest online Final Fantasy epic may want to think about upgrading their PCs as Final Fantasy XIV director Hiromichi Tanaka told Japanese publication GameWatch that FF14 XIV beta testing will initially only be carried out on the Windows platform.

In the same article information was revealed about how the beta testing will be conducted. To begin with, the beta will not be continuous, only lasting for a couple of hours at a time so the development team can directly monitor the goings on. They'll also be conducted with a relatively small group of people from all over the world.

As the game is tightened up and nears release a full 24-hour beta will begin on the PC, finally ending with a full, free open beta.

It was also revealed that this game is being designed for PCs and ported to consoles - the opposite of PS2-developed FF11. The game is being built with Direct X 9 in mind. You can get more from the Final Fantasy experts at UFFSite.
I'd put that in smackdown, but since it's only a demo the "exclusivity" is hardly worth mentioning except for the two or three diehard PS3 owners who will be bummed.

All in all it makes a lot of sense. FF11 was hardly an important or valuable MMO on the PC simply because it was made for consoles. Incidentally, I feel like that's the only reason it was popular enough to last like it did at all...it was the only MMO available to PS2 and X360 users (also, presumably it did well solely based on the Final Fantasy branding).

IMO it's a smart move to make this a PC MMO with as many bells and whistles as possible and then figure out what they can and can't port over to consoles. Otherwise they'd end up just getting their asses beat by World of Warcraft and the other popular PC MMOs all over again.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:34 PM

FF11 was far more popular on PC than it was on PS2 or Xbox 360.

EDIT: Also, FF XI *is* an important PC MMO. It's dwarfed 10-fold by WoW, of course, as are all other MMOs. But it has a higher subscriber base than EQ, EQ II, DAoC, SWG, LOTR. It is outdone by Runescape and the Lineages.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:06 PM
HDD Contributor

Isn't Runescape free, though?
Old 10-01-2009, 02:46 PM

FF11 has a pretty rabid following (is rabid and follows FF11). It's slowly spiraling down right now but in the pre WoW landscape it did very well. The biggest issue with FF11 is simply it's too damn challening and hardcore for today's market. It was built off the Everquest/Ultima Online mold and wasn't casual play friendly.

The thing that keeps people playing it (and thankfully they are keeping it) is the simple fact that you have more attachment to your character based on the fact that you can use them through multiple jobs. It's not like most games where trying out a new class means starting a new character, all your work is put to one source building you up stronger.. Honestly it's the one thing that makes me lose intrest in WoW and i'm already feeling it on Aion, I want to try out the other classes but I don't want to do it from scratch like i'll have to.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
I could just never get into it on the PC but once the PS2 version came out I was hooked and loved it even more after being able to switch over to the 360...nice getting a bit of gamerscore off that too.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasl View Post
The thing that keeps people playing it (and thankfully they are keeping it) is the simple fact that you have more attachment to your character based on the fact that you can use them through multiple jobs. It's not like most games where trying out a new class means starting a new character, all your work is put to one source building you up stronger.. Honestly it's the one thing that makes me lose intrest in WoW and i'm already feeling it on Aion, I want to try out the other classes but I don't want to do it from scratch like i'll have to.
I never played FF XI, but I know exactly what you mean and I agree. I hated having to create a new char in EQ2 to have a fighter and a ranger. The only other game I have played similar to FF XI was SWG (PRE-NGE bomb). Was AWESOME to be able to change classes with same char. Means more replay, ability to change with the server populations main classes played, as well to counter the nerfs to classes that was done monthly. Which created the FOTM (Flavor of the month) for players. That was what kept peeps playing SWg initially.
Hope The next FF online is similar to the FF Jobs/SWG 250 pt char build.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptKain View Post
I never played FF XI, but I know exactly what you mean and I agree. I hated having to create a new char in EQ2 to have a fighter and a ranger. The only other game I have played similar to FF XI was SWG (PRE-NGE bomb). Was AWESOME to be able to change classes with same char. Means more replay, ability to change with the server populations main classes played, as well to counter the nerfs to classes that was done monthly. Which created the FOTM (Flavor of the month) for players. That was what kept peeps playing SWg initially.
Hope The next FF online is similar to the FF Jobs/SWG 250 pt char build.
New FF11 is supposed to be similar. But it sounds like there's no "job" system and your skills are dependant on the weapon you're using.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:

EDIT: Also, FF XI *is* an important PC MMO. It's dwarfed 10-fold by WoW, of course, as are all other MMOs. But it has a higher subscriber base than EQ, EQ II, DAoC, SWG, LOTR. It is outdone by Runescape and the Lineages.
In America.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maley View Post
In America.
And in Europe, and thus overall.

Basically, PS2 hard drive sales were poor, and the game only took off once it was released for Windows. The 360 version's barely worth mentioning.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:

How large is the estimated subscriber base?