Xbox 360 won't connect to local network - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-30-2009, 07:09 AM

Default Xbox 360 won't connect to local network

I seem to be having a problem connecting my 360 to my home network since the day before yesterday. My 360 is connected to my router via wi-fi using the official 360 wireless dongle and a wireless repeater (router is in the basement).
So on Monday I couldn't sign in to XBL and the OS directed me to a network settings page. I did a new scan for wi-fi networks and it found my network alright but it keeps failing the internet connection test. In fact the internet connection test fails instantly, indicating that it can't connect to the router at all, even though it can find it when scanning. I assigned everything manually (local IP, DNS servers etc.) but it makes no difference.
I should note that this is not a WEP/WPA problem because I have encryption turned off. And I'm not sure when this problem started because I hadn't used my X360 in a while. My laptop, iPod Touch and PS3 connect just fine. Any ideas?
Old 09-30-2009, 10:48 AM

It might be a security setting on your router. Even if you had a WEP enabled, you can still see it connecting to the router on the connection test before getting any internet.

What type of router is it?
Old 09-30-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrochaos View Post
It might be a security setting on your router. Even if you had a WEP enabled, you can still see it connecting to the router on the connection test before getting any internet.

What type of router is it?
It's a US Robotics 9108 and it worked fine before. I suspect it's the repeater's fault (forgot to say, the old one died not too long ago and I had it replaced by a different model) but I'm not sure what to do about it.

I'll see if I can change anything in the router's security settings, thanks.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:03 AM

A friend of mine had the same problem and it turned out that his ethernet connection on the Xbox died. Do you have a friend who has a network you can try to connect to with your xbox to see if the xbox is the problem?
Old 09-30-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceNine View Post
A friend of mine had the same problem and it turned out that his ethernet connection on the Xbox died. Do you have a friend who has a network you can try to connect to with your xbox to see if the xbox is the problem?
Yes, but I should probably try a wired connection on my own network first. There's another TV close to the router I can use but I'd rather not leave it there permanently. Thanks for your suggestion.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis M. View Post
Yes, but I should probably try a wired connection on my own network first. There's another TV close to the router I can use but I'd rather not leave it there permanently. Thanks for your suggestion.
Good plan.

I have never seen the xbox wireless adapter, so I could be way off if it doesn't use the ethernet port and uses a USB port instead.

At any rate, I hope it isn't the port.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:59 AM

The wireless adapter does use a USB port, but as he says it does connect to the router, it just doesn't connect to internet correct?
Old 09-30-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrochaos View Post
The wireless adapter does use a USB port, but as he says it does connect to the router, it just doesn't connect to internet correct?
Not exactly, it seems to find the network when scanning as but it doesn't connect to the router for whatever reason - at least according to the console's own diagnostics.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:12 PM

I had a similar problem but reseting my router and modem always seemed to fix the problem. It wouldnt happen to me very often but once in a while my xbox would not connect to the router because it wasnt getting an IP
Old 10-01-2009, 10:24 AM

Well try this, just to see if it's a faulty adapter:

While in a USB port, the wireless adaptor will either be off, red, or green (when system is powered on)

Off means either faulty USB port or wireless adapter. Red means powered, but can't find network/router or can't connect to internet. Green means connected to the internet and XBL