Is the "King" of arcade racers making a return? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-25-2009, 08:15 PM

Default Is the "King" of arcade racers making a return?

"Start your Engines"

"Roooooollllllllllllliiiinnnnnnnnnnggggggggg SSSSSSSSSttttttttttaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrttttttttttttt"

Quote:
Remember when we reported that SEGA Europe had licensed “SEGA Racing Classic” for Arcade machines and coin-operated machines? No? Well I forgive you, because I completely forgot about it too. Anyway here’s a reminder of that trademark.

All up to speed? Good. Well one of our main forum goers, STORM!, has spotted the some artwork related to SEGA Racing Classic.

The image has the same logo that the trademark showed, so there’s a good chance this is legit (not to doubt our members - just nice to be sure). [Click image for larger picture, or visit the forums for full sized image]

SEGA isn’t wrong to call it ‘classic’ either. As the image shows all the signs of being classic SEGA:

•Blue Skies - check.
•Developed by AM2 - check.
•Bright, colourful artwork - check
•The Hornet from Daytona USA - check.
In fact the only thing to suggest that this isn’t just the old Daytona USA poster (with a new title) is the inclusion of the RingWide symbol. RingWide being one of SEGA’s newest Arcade machines, running the likes of Border Break.

But it’s going to be interesting to see just what the game has to offer. Will it be a new Arcade machine featuring several classic SEGA racers? Or is it a new/ revamped version of Daytona USA?

The image certainly points more to a Daytona oriented game. I can remember someone telling us that since EA owns the Nascar license, they also own the rights to the Daytona name. I can’t remember if that is true or not, but if it is, then perhaps SEGA Racing Classic is SEGA’s way to get round awkward licensing issues and make a new Daytona game?

Stay tuned for more information as soon as we find it.

http://www.seganerds.com/2009/09/25/...tted/#comments

If you don't know those two lines, shut up and listen to the ones that do!

Could the King make his return? I bought every version of Daytona USA made for the consoles (Saturn and DC) except for the Saturn import link release. My wife even imported the DC Japan release because it was coming out 6 months before the US version. Has Sega finally figured out how to release the King again without the trademarks EA owns? Stay tuned....

Sega Racing Classic doesn't roll off your tongue like (clears throat) Daaaaayyyyyyyytttttttttaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa but, "it'll do pig it'll do".

Last edited by Wulf; 09-25-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:16 PM

This would make a very nice game room topic.

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 09-25-2009, 08:18 PM

I don't care what platform it's own if it's released as a platform exclusive and I don't have that platform I will buy it if it's classic arcade Daytona....
Old 09-26-2009, 12:22 AM

I bought both versions of Daytona on my Saturn. I remember walking into Toys R Us months before it was "scheduled" to launch only to see that Sega had done a sneak attack launch for $399. I bought the console, Daytona and Panzer Dragoon and never regretted it. Later I bought Daytona Championship edition and loved it. Also Sega Rally. I love AM2 racing games!
Old 09-27-2009, 11:26 PM

At first I thought you were talking about Pole Position or Turbo .