SEGA leaks Sony's plan for PS2 & DC games on PSN - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-22-2009, 06:19 AM

Default SEGA leaks Sony's plan for PS2 & DC games on PSN

http://www.gamezine.co.uk/news/forma...3-$1328865.htm

That's some pretty big news if confirmed. I'm pasting the whole thing for those blocked at work:

Quote:
SEGA has let a pretty fat cat out of the bag by releasing confidential notes from a meeting with Sony Computer Entertainment America.

Sony wants to release all PS2 games on the PlayStation 3, according to a meeting between SEGA America and SCEA.

The meeting was held on August 5th, with comments regarding SEGA's PS3 and PSP releases, as well as Sony's plans for the console in the near future.

There's mention of a big announcement at the back half of this year, which we now know is the PS3 Slim and price cut. However, there's finally confirmation that Sony is interested in emulating all PlayStation 2 games.

The notes reveal that "SCEA wants to sell all PS2 titles on PSN." Whether this will come as a case by case basis, like the God of War remastering, or that Sony is creating a universal emulator for all PS3 models is unknown. Grand Theft Auto Vice City is one of the titles mentioned.

Since this meeting was held in August of this year, the PS3 Slim and its hardware would have been in the company's mind - so there must be plans to overcome the difficulties of the missing PS2 GPU.

There's also mention of how these games would be marketed, with PS3 controllers shown in PS2 TV ads.

The link to this confidential information is now broken, but can be found via NeoGAF.

[UPDATE] - Another exciting titbit is that SEGA could provide Sony with Dreamcast titles for the PS3.

The publisher has been tasked with providing SCEA a list of titles so that they can choose which games they're interested in having exclusively. It is further added that "if we give them a long period of exclusivity they’ll give us more marketing support."
Old 09-22-2009, 06:22 AM

Would be nice. Dreamcast games would also be nice.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:55 AM

I would love to see some Dreamcast games with online multiplayer thrown in. I will keep my fingers crossed.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:10 AM
Watcher of stances

promising, but it's likely too good of any idea for sony to make it happen.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:16 AM

The whole memo was uploaded on NeoGAF.

There's some additional interesting info like talk of a Japanese import section on the PSstore where Japanese games could be released with minimal localization. There's also a mistake with the SEGA rep confusing Fable & Rare as Sony properties.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:45 AM

Here's why it sucks: the games will have to be purchased again online. The article doesn't say that they are adding backward compatibility to the PS3, so the titles will need to be paid for again.

Lame.

I haven't bought any of the games like that for the Xbox 360 and I won't for the PS3 either.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
DC Digital Titles
If we provide a list of DC titles SCEA will let us know which ones they’re interested in having exclusively.
If we give them a long period of exclusivity they’ll give us more marketing support.
That could be a big deal for Sony.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceNine View Post
Here's why it sucks: the games will have to be purchased again online. The article doesn't say that they are adding backward compatibility to the PS3, so the titles will need to be paid for again.

Lame.

I haven't bought any of the games like that for the Xbox 360 and I won't for the PS3 either.
How about games you missed? Sure, universal b/c would be great but this is a good thing too.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:26 AM

If Sony plans on selling PS2 titles on PSN, then they better allow BC for those titles as well for people who already own those titles
Old 09-22-2009, 09:31 AM

This seems like a much more realistic solution than a universal emulator on PS3. Though it does suck we'd have to pay for them again.