NFS shift.. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-19-2009, 04:03 PM

Default NFS shift..

not seen a thread for this..

i picked it up the other day im in 2 minds at the moment as to weather its great or not.. graphics wise its alright some times it looks excelent.. others it just doesnt come up to par some pop in especially on replays..

physics wise its not very good with a wheel it would be great but with a controller its terrible.. you carnt customise the pad save for 3 standard configs.. so you must use analouge for steering.. but its so sensetive that all you get is understeer understeer understeer.. it took me an hour yesturday messing about with setting to get it to a point i was happy with.. but because its so skitish it makes the tunning options usless at the moment i carnt get a decent consistent lap in to start work.. so i guess with more time ill get to explore those options..

also the game is exreamly "busy".. GT4 for example was easy.. you started a race you aimed for 1st palce win some cash simple

here though.. each race gets so many stars.. stars open more races so to collect stars you have to reach a certain amount of points / objectives for example sticking to the racing line, overtaking cleanly ect give you points.. so you colelct so many points it will give you a star there are 2 stars per race with points attached.. you are also juged on the corners so on the map there is a symble next to each corner. if you take a corner well it gets ticked and masterd and you get some more points, more points equal a higher driver level so like an RPG you level up this opens more options ect..

you also get badges.. these arn't trophies there in game badges which you earn for exaple winning 10 races in a row get you an epic badge, overtaking cleanly 250 times get you an epic badge theres 24 badges to earn aswell as an extra 2 for your driving style.

there are also trohpies and achievments to earn on top of all this!! so thats points, stars, badges and trophies! 4 ways to feel ever so special!

if all this sounds confussing it is.. you spend more time thinking what the hell am i trying to do rather than just racing!

also its incredibly wasy to earn money! 2 hours playing last night i had $200K..

if the controlls were better and the game was less fussy id be giving it a racve review but at the moment its only a 7 at best..

anyone else got it??
Old 09-19-2009, 10:33 PM

I bought it on tues and loving it. Very surprised, was so tossed up prior to Tues if I should buy or rent and after hearing from friends I bought it.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:22 AM

played this for a bit last night, pretty fun

ps3 version has a damn ridiculous install though, it took at least 20 minutes to finish
Old 09-20-2009, 12:23 PM

I bought it. Its going to take me some time to get used to the controls. It is fun and I'm glad that EA finally made a game worthy of the Need for Speed name, its been too long.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:00 PM

i duno.. i prefer NFS with police and free roam most wanted was perfect in my eyes..
Old 09-20-2009, 04:10 PM

some people are calling this need for speed shit, yet it's getting good review scores

I'm on the fence, I'll probably wait until the holidays to pick this up -- and if GT5 is out, then I likely wont get it at all
Old 09-20-2009, 06:52 PM

I was gonna get this too because reviews started out in the 9s but went down to 7s. Its still getting ok reviews il check it out.

From all the reviews I noticed the biggest complaint is the handling of the cars sucks but maybe it just takes time to get used to it.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger3920 View Post
some people are calling this need for speed shit, yet it's getting good review scores

I'm on the fence, I'll probably wait until the holidays to pick this up -- and if GT5 is out, then I likely wont get it at all
The people talking trash are probably the same people that watch Pimp My Ride!
Old 09-20-2009, 09:21 PM

I picked it up. Lots of fun. Definitely putting Need for Speed in the right direction.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:11 AM

I picked it up this weekend.

Things I like:
-Graphics are amazing
-Sounds are very realistic
-The best feeling cockpit view game I have played, if not the most realistic feeling racing game I've played.
-Upgrades are easy, and tuning can be done on an easy, or detailed plane.
-Controls are very easy to pick up, but responsive enough that you can't just floor it all the time and slam on the brakes every corner.
-Feels arcrade enough not to be a sim, but has enough tuning and racing options to feel like a sim.

Thing I don't like:
-Virtually no story (Not sure if this is a pro or a con. I liked some of the stories)
-It's NFS on track only (I like the off track street racing feel of underground)
-No cops (I know it wasn't mean to be a Hot pursuit, but I would love this engine on the next hot pursuit type game)
-Very linear (while underground/most wanted/ect were semi open world)
-Car selection (It doesn't have enough cars to push into that "sim" label)
-Multiplayer (very few race modes on XBL/PSN)

Overall the game is very realistic feeling, and really gets the heart pumping when you get into it. I recommend for any one who likes: Previous NFS games, PGR series, Sim and arcade racer fans.