Kurt, Courtney & Guitar Hero 5: Discuss - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-11-2009, 09:10 PM
HDD Contributor

Default Kurt, Courtney & Guitar Hero 5: Discuss

I'm sure nearly all of you are aware of the situation with Courtney Love taking legal action against Activision for the alleged misuse of Kurt Cobain's likeness in Guitar Hero 5, but so far I haven't heard any of your opinions on it.

And for those of you that DON'T know what's going on, here it is:

SOURCE

Quote:
Earlier this week the appearance of a digital Kurt Cobain in Guitar Hero 5 irrupted into controversy with Courtney Love and former Nirvana band members calling for Activision to patch the title. Now Love's attorney is involved.

"Ms. Cobain is extremely upset about Activision's use of Mr. Cobain's likeness to sing the songs of others in its Guitar Hero game," Keith A. Fink, Love's attorney, told Kotaku. "Activision was granted permission by Kurt's trust solely to use his name and likeness. Activision was not given an unbridled right to use Mr. Cobain's name and likeness. Kurt's songs have a special and unique meaning to his fans and his image and legacy are very important to Ms. Cobain. The agreement Activision has with the trust doesn't allow them to use his likeness in ways that denigrate his image. We would hope Activision would do the right thing on its own and prohibit game users from using Kurt's image to sing others songs and if they don't we expect the trust to take appropriate action to protect Mr. Cobain's image."

Activision told Kotaku earlier this week that Love signed the agreement allowing the use of Cobain in the game. But what appears to be driving most of the controversy is the ability for gamers to use Cobain's likeness to perform in and sing other songs.

Love posted on her Twitter account that she was going to sue Activision and that the way Cobain appears in the game is a breach of contract. She also said she was sickened by how he is used in the game.

Krist Novoselic and Dave Grohl, the two surviving members of Nirvana, released a joint statement saying they too are upset over the way Cobain can be used to pantomime other artists' music "alongside cartoon characters."

"Kurt Cobain wrote songs that hold a lot of meaning to people all over the world. We feel he deserves better."

The are asking Activision to "re-lock" Cobain's character so he can only perform his own songs in the game.
I can only assume that Courtney wasn't really paying attention to what was going on and for the most part, actually didn't care. That is, until this week. It probably doesn't help that the Beatles dropped and critics are going on and on about how respectful it is to the band. And then on top of that, on YouTube, THIS showed up:

SOURCE

And I'm sure someone showed it to her. Which probably pissed her off.

Though to be honest, I don't think she has a case. It's not Activision's fault if this was repeatedly explained to her and she didn't care and just signed away the license, only to realize later after watching YouTube what the full impact of the transaction was now that she could see and hear it.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:15 PM

It's all about money. Courtney Love did the same shit when Novoselic & Grohl wanted to release a Nirvana Box set. I truly hate that no-talent heroin whore.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Banned

she was high when she signed... plain and simple. she's an idiot who signed a contract.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:35 PM

It blows my mind that she's sueing after signing the contract.

Now I can completely understand Grohl and the other dude's position; wanting to do right to his memory but not being asses about it.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Watcher of stances

i think it's a travesty on both parts.

Courtney never should have signed consent and Activision shouldn't have let Kurt be a playable character.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:40 PM

If she really cared about Kurt's image, she would not have allowed him to be in the game in the first place. period. Now that the checks cashed and she's had her fix(or sobered up just long enough to figure out wtf she's done) she wants to take it back.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:42 PM

Hard to decide with my distaste in both parties involved.

Gonna depend on lawyers, the contract and the judge (if it gets that far).
Old 09-11-2009, 09:45 PM

I was unaware she signed a contract. That makes it a bit different than just getting mad all of the sudden.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:09 PM

Courtney is an idiot. Plain and simple.

I don't really get the whole problem over having him as a playable character. They've been doing this since what, GH2? No one seems to be raising a stink over Johnny Cash being a playable character.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:16 PM

people. this is f*cking ridiculous.

IT'S A GAME. get over it. plain and simple.

courtney love is a crack whore who needs more $ for crack.