3D coming to All PS3 games in 2010 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-04-2009, 04:21 PM

Default 3D coming to All PS3 games in 2010

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/04/p...-to-all-exist/

Quote:
You know what's absolutely useless? A video of Wipeout HD being played in 3D, with some schmuck wearing 3D glasses and babbling on about how much fun he's having. Well, that schmuck is this Engadget editor, the video can be found after the break, and we've gotta say: we loved it. Especially for something like Wipeout HD, whose neon-infused tracks make for an almost too convenient example of rapidly approaching vanishing points, we'd say 3D could really be a quasi-"killer app" for consoles going forward -- especially if those fancy new motion controllers don't catch on for Microsoft and Sony. In many ways, 3D just seems to make more sense in a video game than for a movie, and the whole problem of finding content to deliver in the format has already been solved: a software update for the PS3 sometime in 2010 will enable it to provide a 3D viewing experience to "all" existing games on the system. We're sure there will be some exceptions, but it sounds very promising. The console itself pumps out a quite regular signal over HDMI, which the TV syncs up with your 3D glasses. A 200Hz TV, for instance, alternates 1080p frames, with 100Hz for each eye. Of course, you'll need a brand new TV, but at least it won't be restricted to just Sony televisions. Start saving those pennies!
I think games like wipeout it will be kind of cool. The 3D gimic works on me more then the motion control gimic. (I saw the final destination due to 3d awsomness )
Old 09-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Watcher of stances

can't say this interests me at all.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:28 PM

They need to start selling prescription 3D glasses. I can't imagine it will work out very well to wear them and my normal glasses at the same time. Not about to switch to contacts over this either.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStroms View Post
They need to start selling prescription 3D glasses. I can't imagine it will work out very well to wear them and my normal glasses at the same time. Not about to switch to contacts over this either.
Oh ye of little faith.

Time to move to Boca Raton!
Old 09-04-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStroms View Post
Its called laser eye surgery, its the best monies I have ever spent.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphjp View Post
Its called laser eye surgery, its the best monies I have ever spent.
I've looked into it before, but I'm not convinced. Glasses are at worst a minor nuisance. While the vast majority of surgeries are now successful there are risks associated with it. Some minor such seeing halos with night vision. Others are more serious such as double vision or constantly dry itchy eyes. Sometimes it'll leave the sensation of a foreign object in the eye or even cause long lasting pain.

I'm not much of a gambler, and even with the odds strongly favoring no complications, the chances of coming out with a worse problem than I went in with are high enough to keep me away. As I already said, glasses aren't that bad.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:52 PM

This seems like a chest pounding effort and frankly to me is a waste of time for Sony to prioritize with the ps3. I'd want a lot other stuff out of there firmware.

I hope this wasn't a major strain on the entertainment division anyway... the % of folk even among us nerds will be so minute it's not worth mentioning.

I think it's too early to be looking at this, hell over half the Gears of War 2 players don't even have HD tv's yet according to kotaku I believe.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingtotalass View Post
This seems like a chest pounding effort and frankly to me is a waste of time for Sony to prioritize with the ps3. I'd want a lot other stuff out of there firmware.

I hope this wasn't a major strain on the entertainment division anyway... the % of folk even among us nerds will be so minute it's not worth mentioning.

I think it's too early to be looking at this, hell over half the Gears of War 2 players don't even have HD tv's yet according to kotaku I believe.
I doubt it was any sort of major strain. This is something they are doing throughout their whole home entertainment division. Check out the hi-def equipment or film areas or whatever of this forum, and you will see multiple threads on the industrys adoption of 3d. sony is but one player, and frankly, they need to keep their feet in the water on this one because they may lose traction if they don't stay in the forfront of the technology.

I think its pretty neat. Then again, I'm a child of the 70's/80's and remember very well the excitement of picking up 3d glasses at the convenience or grocery store for whatever cheesy 3d movie was being shown on network television that month. They would do something like that a few times a year.

The topic has come up before, and I'll say it again..I don't see full length, disc-based games being centered around this...But for short, cheap psn games that one would play for an hour or so before fatigue starts to set in and you move on to something else, I think it would be awesome. Especially on something like Wipeout.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:25 PM

Default Sony: No plan to launch 3-D support for all PS3 games

Sony: No plan to launch 3-D support for all PS3 games
Quote:
Hold on before you run out to buy a new TV! You may have seen the report on Engadget stating that, according to a Sony rep, all PS3 games will run in 3-D with a software update next year. We contacted Sony ourselves to learn more about what sounded like a major megaton to let slip at a trade show. Sony told us that the company is "conducting a technological investigation" of whether it's even possible to do that. As for specifics: "there is no plan for the market launch of this at this time."
http://www.joystiq.com/
Old 09-04-2009, 09:16 PM

I have a very hard time believe anyone is not interested. Unless you have motion sickness of course. To me 3D has always been the holy grail over video entertainment... done right.