no sympathy for Grin?? :( and the game that was to be... - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-20-2009, 03:26 AM
EonNomad's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 240
Default no sympathy for Grin?? :( and the game that was to be...

As some of you might know, the company that made Bionic Commando and the remake of the original closed down due to publishers delaying their payments.
It's kind of sad that this company had to close down. i didnt like all their games like Wanted or some other ones but i did like BC:Rearmed.
But some of the members from Grin are making a little company of there own.....well, read up on it here: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/101/1013374p1.html

That's not all. Before they closed down, they were working on a game (said to be of great importance or something along that line.)
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/15298/...enburg-Sweden/
And finally...
turns out it was a Final Fantasy game.
...don't think this game will see the light, well, unless it's given to another company.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-20-2009, 08:32 AM
RM's Avatar
RM RM is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,402
Default

I enjoyed listening to Ulf and Gunnar on the Giant Bomb Podcast (here and here), but I didn't care for their games. The Giant Bomb guys discussed their closing on the newest episode (08-18-09) and talk about how they went to far to fast, which ultimately lead to their closing.

They seemed like cool guys, but let's be honest: their games were not great and this is a tough business. With the economy having gone to shit, you have to make it big to stay alive these days. Anyway, I hope they all find good jobs and keep making games. It sucks to hear about folks losing out.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-20-2009, 08:50 AM
twonunpackmule's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 32,843
Default

Well, the only one that was great was the remake of Bionic Commando. However, that was again a remake...not original idea. It's hard to fuck up something that already has the plans laid out for you.
__________________
PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-20-2009, 08:55 AM
weaponX's Avatar
Formerly weaponX6282
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,353
Default

Wasn't Grin responsible for the craptastic Terminator Salvation game? If so, them closing comes as no real surprise. If all their games were that poorly made it would have been only a matter of time.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-20-2009, 09:00 AM
twonunpackmule's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 32,843
Default

Yes, yes they were.
__________________
PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-20-2009, 09:42 AM
RM's Avatar
RM RM is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,402
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponX View Post
Wasn't Grin responsible for the craptastic Terminator Salvation game? If so, them closing comes as no real surprise. If all their games were that poorly made it would have been only a matter of time.
Yep. They also did Wanted: Weapons of Fate which was very similar.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-20-2009, 09:44 AM
Snadinator's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 19,563
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EonNomad View Post
As some of you might know, the company that made Bionic Commando and the remake of the original closed down due to publishers delaying their payments.
It's kind of sad that this company had to close down. i didnt like all their games like Wanted or some other ones but i did like BC:Rearmed.
But some of the members from Grin are making a little company of there own.....well, read up on it here: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/101/1013374p1.html

That's not all. Before they closed down, they were working on a game (said to be of great importance or something along that line.)
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/15298/...enburg-Sweden/
And finally...
turns out it was a Final Fantasy game.
...don't think this game will see the light, well, unless it's given to another company.
It was inevitable that they close down. They made very very bad games. Terminator and Wanted were fucking atrocious and Bionic Commando was very average.

Rearmed, may have been good, but the groundwork was all there for them.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-20-2009, 09:54 AM
RM's Avatar
RM RM is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,402
Default

How are these guys out of business but South Peak is still around?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-20-2009, 09:55 AM
Snadinator's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 19,563
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm082e View Post
How are these guys out of business but South Peak is still around?
Southpeak is likely nowhere near as ambitious. They keep to smaller games and expect them to be niche I guess.

Grin was going for some huge franchises without the talent to back it up IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-20-2009, 10:16 AM
Bane's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 17,895
Default

It kinda scares me that Squenos was willing to trust FF to a studio with such a spotty record.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GRIN: "Square Enix Betray Me" KTA Game Room 6 05-28-2011 10:48 PM
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance [UK] Clueless_Monkey Blu-ray Imports Subforum 17 11-28-2009 05:50 PM
Sympathy For Lady Vengeance (HK) Review! Arkadin Blu-ray Imports Subforum 15 10-20-2009 11:16 PM
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance [HK] Clueless_Monkey Blu-ray Imports Subforum 6 08-15-2009 04:45 PM
Carlotta Films:Godard's "Sympathy For The Devil": France Arkadin Blu-ray Imports Subforum 2 11-09-2008 04:14 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off