no sympathy for Grin?? :( and the game that was to be... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-20-2009, 03:26 AM

Default no sympathy for Grin?? :( and the game that was to be...

As some of you might know, the company that made Bionic Commando and the remake of the original closed down due to publishers delaying their payments.
It's kind of sad that this company had to close down. i didnt like all their games like Wanted or some other ones but i did like BC:Rearmed.
But some of the members from Grin are making a little company of there own.....well, read up on it here: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/101/1013374p1.html

That's not all. Before they closed down, they were working on a game (said to be of great importance or something along that line.)
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/15298/...enburg-Sweden/
And finally...
turns out it was a Final Fantasy game.
...don't think this game will see the light, well, unless it's given to another company.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:32 AM

I enjoyed listening to Ulf and Gunnar on the Giant Bomb Podcast (here and here), but I didn't care for their games. The Giant Bomb guys discussed their closing on the newest episode (08-18-09) and talk about how they went to far to fast, which ultimately lead to their closing.

They seemed like cool guys, but let's be honest: their games were not great and this is a tough business. With the economy having gone to shit, you have to make it big to stay alive these days. Anyway, I hope they all find good jobs and keep making games. It sucks to hear about folks losing out.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:50 AM

Well, the only one that was great was the remake of Bionic Commando. However, that was again a remake...not original idea. It's hard to fuck up something that already has the plans laid out for you.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:55 AM
Formerly weaponX6282

Wasn't Grin responsible for the craptastic Terminator Salvation game? If so, them closing comes as no real surprise. If all their games were that poorly made it would have been only a matter of time.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:00 AM

Yes, yes they were.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponX View Post
Wasn't Grin responsible for the craptastic Terminator Salvation game? If so, them closing comes as no real surprise. If all their games were that poorly made it would have been only a matter of time.
Yep. They also did Wanted: Weapons of Fate which was very similar.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EonNomad View Post
As some of you might know, the company that made Bionic Commando and the remake of the original closed down due to publishers delaying their payments.
It's kind of sad that this company had to close down. i didnt like all their games like Wanted or some other ones but i did like BC:Rearmed.
But some of the members from Grin are making a little company of there own.....well, read up on it here: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/101/1013374p1.html

That's not all. Before they closed down, they were working on a game (said to be of great importance or something along that line.)
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/15298/...enburg-Sweden/
And finally...
turns out it was a Final Fantasy game.
...don't think this game will see the light, well, unless it's given to another company.
It was inevitable that they close down. They made very very bad games. Terminator and Wanted were fucking atrocious and Bionic Commando was very average.

Rearmed, may have been good, but the groundwork was all there for them.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:54 AM

How are these guys out of business but South Peak is still around?
Old 08-20-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm082e View Post
How are these guys out of business but South Peak is still around?
Southpeak is likely nowhere near as ambitious. They keep to smaller games and expect them to be niche I guess.

Grin was going for some huge franchises without the talent to back it up IMO.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:16 AM

It kinda scares me that Squenos was willing to trust FF to a studio with such a spotty record.