Red Dead Redemption Discussion Thread - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-26-2009, 02:59 PM
HDD Contributor

Default Red Dead Redemption Discussion Thread

I've been keeping my eye on and off on this one. I actually enjoyed Gun on the Xbox a lot more than I thought I was going to, so I'm open to more games set in the old west. This latest article piqued my interest with claims that Rockstar San Diego was creating a game larger than San Andreas with the promise of more seamless gameplay even when going into buildings.

SOURCE
Quote:
The RAGE engine was built for Red Dead Redemption: true story. When RockStar San Diego wrapped up work on Red Dead Revolver in early 2004, they immediately begun work on a sequel, but in order to match their vision for a dynamic, open-world western they needed middleware far more powerful than RenderWare, the company’s engine of choice at the time. So they built the RAGE engine; first shown off at E3 2005 via a cowboy riding off into the sunset - the first footage, it turned out, of Red Dead Redemption.

It says a lot about just how massive and ambitious Red Dead Redemption is that the game will have remained in development for six years before it is released. And it says even more that RAGE was considered refined and advanced enough to be put to use in no less than Grand Theft Auto IV (not to mention Table Tennis, Midnight Club: Los Angeles and The Lost and Damned) yet still hadn’t come far enough to deliver on Red Dead Redemption. Think about that for a second... now get a load of this.

As Rockstar take us through Red Dead Redemption in their Sydney office, they reveal how it is like their San Andreas 2... except a shit tonne bigger. Like San Andreas it features three major centres of activity: there is Mexico in the far south, all yellow sands and stunning plateaus. There is the American southwest all dust, violence and dangerous one-horse towns. And then there is the northeast, all pine forests, snow and urban industrialization. And in-between... well, there is just about anything and everything you would expect. It is the first time Rockstar has ventured out of an urban centre since San Andreas, and they have all sorts of wonderful random goodies cooked up for your game playing pleasure.

Most impressive of all, you can go from one side to the other with no loading screens, including inside almost all of the buildings, and in the process literally moving from one age to another.

Indeed, you can even follow the train tracks from the shittiest little one-whore town at the dusty arse-end of the frontier right back to the snowed-in urban centres at the coast. The era – which has no exact date, but is described as being during the first decade of the 1900s – is so important to Red Dead Redemption. While the west is still very much The West, in the urban peripherals you can expect to see the technological boundaries of the era in their element. The automobile is in full production, Picasso and Einstein are making headlines in the newspapers as is the potential for war in Europe, and the Wright Brothers have taken flight.

If you really want to pre-empt what the game is like read-up on the American landscape at that time as you can bet your arse Rockstar are researching it to death. The key take home, however, is that the Wild West is slowly being swallowed by the industrialization at the coast which is spreading inland. It’s a dark time. The last days of the outlaw. And you are riding into a world teetering right on the precipice of change and populated by a people scared and frightened. Of people backed into a corner fighting to survive.

Worse still it is a world you left behind. As John Marston you had left the West and reformed your ways in the northeast urban centre which, for want of a better term, we’ll call Old Liberty City. Blackmailed by local politicians to go back out to the frontier and to end the Wild West once and for all your reborn moral conscious is left out to dry as you enter a landscape where you can do just about anything, and there is no-one around to see.

So in these early days, our overriding joy from seeing the game in action (which was mostly in the southwest region of the epic game map, and a bit in Mexico) was the atmosphere it creates. Like most of Rockstar’s products, there is so much attention to detail and effort gone into building a believable and self-contained world (complete with over 40 animals with their own dynamic ecology A.I, and intense weather conditions) that you just melt into the world.

While we rode casually across what is left of the Wild West we came across trains being robbed, stranded cowboys looking for a lift into town, coyotes chasing, felling and then eating a wild dear and so much more. We even had a half-naked woman flag us down for help, only to discover she was the bait in a trap from a bunch of outlaws. Hell at one point, we actually got horse-jacked. Seriously, some punk ripped us off our horse and then tried to take off with it. But he found it tough when he got shot in the back. Speaking of horses, powered by Euphoria they each have unique character traits and strengths and weaknesses. You could even go out and find yourself a fast, butch, wild horse and tame it, just so you can feel like a meaner bastard when you head into town.

And just a quick couple of additional points: members of Rockstar North and Rockstar Leeds have been working on Red Dead Redemption alongside the team at Rockstar San Diego. There is going to be big multiplayer action, building on not just GTA IV, but also Lost and Damned and Gay Tony. The shooting mechanics borrow heavily from GTA IV (think cover, slide ins, etc.) but obviously enhanced by Dead Eye and altered by the limitations of the older weaponry. Plus, listen closely to the voices in the trailer... can you guess the A-List cast?

Yep, pretty impressive stuff. And this following our insights into the RAGE driven Max Payne 3 yesterday as well... good times.
Hopefully they won't delay it and it really will come out in Fall.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:06 PM

I wonder who is the A-List cast....now it's gonna bother me.

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 06-26-2009, 03:07 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslaught X View Post
I wonder who is the A-List cast....now it's gonna bother me.
Yeah, I was wondering about that was well. But it's obvious from the trailer that the voice actors are really delivering. I thought the dialog sounded great.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:07 PM

Totally looking forward to a good western sandbox. I've had a serious gap since Gun.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Yeah, I was wondering about that was well. But it's obvious from the trailer that the voice actors are really delivering. I thought the dialog sounded great.
I keep thinking that one of the guys near the end is voiced by either A) Cheech Marin or B) Danny Trejo.

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 06-26-2009, 03:10 PM

Screens
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/game...t-screens.html
Old 06-26-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslaught X View Post
B) Danny Trejo.
Correct answer whatever the question

(oh, and I wouldn't ever choose "mexican't" - just another protip
Old 06-27-2009, 05:26 AM

Bigger than San Andreas and you move around by horse or train? I don't know about this, sounds painful.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
I've been keeping my eye on and off on this one. I actually enjoyed Gun on the Xbox a lot more than I thought I was going to, so I'm open to more games set in the old west. This latest article piqued my interest with claims that Rockstar San Diego was creating a game larger than San Andreas with the promise of more seamless gameplay even when going into buildings.

SOURCE

Hopefully they won't delay it and it really will come out in Fall.
Did you play Red Dead Revolver? I played it back on the original Xbox and it was good. They seemed to get the wild west atmosphere right. I think Redemption will be a hit.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:19 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow1019 View Post
Did you play Red Dead Revolver? I played it back on the original Xbox and it was good. They seemed to get the wild west atmosphere right. I think Redemption will be a hit.
I actually missed out on Revolver. Gun was the only western I've played in the last few years. Before that, it was Outlaw on the 2600.

Actually on thinking about it, I wonder if it will be a hit or not. Gun did reasonably well, but didn't sell at AAA levels, and not for lack of quality. Will the kids still dig a game that doesn't have a bald swearing space marine in it?

Last edited by Shoeless; 06-27-2009 at 02:39 PM.