Sony working on UMD to Download transfer service for PSP owners upgrading to PSP Go - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-05-2009, 03:26 PM

Default Sony working on UMD to Download transfer service for PSP owners upgrading to PSP Go

I thought they would do something like this. They are working on a way to activate a digital download with your UMD copy of a game so you can still use it on the UMD free PSP Go. It sounds like not all games will be available but I would guess if you have a UMD they cant exchange they might give you 'credit' for a different title.

Quote:
So what will happen to all of your old UMD games if you buy a PSP Go? You'll be able to procure digital copies of those discs, maybe even for free.

I asked Sony's John Koller, Director of Hardware Marketing for Sony, what the company planned to do for their most loyal fanbase—those who'd amassed a large collection of UMDs but who'd also like to play these games on the Go. His response:

We're in the midst of putting together a good will program. We'll be unveiling that soon [because] we actually think there's a significant group that will be upgrading from the 1000...In the past, we've seen a 20-25% trade-up factor, and I assume that's going to be the case here. We've modeled that. So we're looking at a good-will program—a short term good-will program that would continue for years afterward."
Short-term for years afterward? In other words, the program itself will last for years, but these digital game copies will be tied to either when you bought the UMD or the PSP Go—such specifics were not made clear.

Speaking more regarding the technical aspects of the good will program, Koller explained while the distribution model was still in the planning stages, the user's experience would be similar to Portable Copy—a way in which Blu-ray movies can be ripped and converted from the PS3 to the PSP. However, Koller assured me that users would not be ripping their UMDs. Instead, it sounds like Sony will use a PSN-based digital distribution model will "encourage" users to sign up for the service.

But the neatest thing about Koller's Portable Copy comparison? Portable Copy is free. So we're doubting that Sony will charge for the service—though we have no confirmation. Unfortunately, Koller also slipped in that Sony's "looking at what kind of games will be offered." In other words, Sony's good-will program will probably not apply to every title in the PSP's library, but given that there are only a few that matter anyway, maybe this limitation isn't such a big deal.

http://gizmodo.com/5278909/sony-to-o...-old-umd-games
Old 06-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Banned

Cool. Torrents will love this.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:47 PM

Seems odd that there is even the possibility of having to pay for this.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:53 PM

I just don't see people moving to the new system unless they make all games 100% transferable. Just selecting a handfull of titles and trying to use that to leverage a move to a new system is just naive. As it is, alot of the people that do hack the system already have 100% access to playing from their memory cards so I'm not sure why they think a partial solution is adequate.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:54 PM

Because they're not targeting current PSP owners with the Go?
Old 06-05-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godstar View Post
I just don't see people moving to the new system unless they make all games 100% transferable. Just selecting a handfull of titles and trying to use that to leverage a move to a new system is just naive. As it is, alot of the people that do hack the system already have 100% access to playing from their memory cards so I'm not sure why they think a partial solution is adequate.
'Partial solution' is obviously a damn sight better than the 'no solution' and I very much doubt it will involve a 'handful' of titles.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewsonic View Post
'Partial solution' is obviously a damn sight better than the 'no solution' and I very much doubt it will involve a 'handful' of titles.
Well not if you're looking to get people away from a solution that already offers them 100% playback from a memorycard. Partial is better than full in what universe?

And no this doesn't sound like a handfull, but it doesn't sound like a full solution either....

Quote:
In other words, Sony's good-will program will probably not apply to every title in the PSP's library, but given that there are only a few that matter anyway, maybe this limitation isn't such a big deal.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebonz View Post
Because they're not targeting current PSP owners with the Go?
Not by this quote...

Quote:
We're in the midst of putting together a good will program. We'll be unveiling that soon [because] we actually think there's a significant group that will be upgrading from the 1000...
Old 06-06-2009, 12:37 AM

Why do I feel like I would get majorly fucked in this deal? I don't see "DJ Max Portable", "Pump It Up Exceed" or other games in the like being included. Heck who knows if "Princess Crown" or "Devil Summoner" will be included? What about "Tales Of Eternia", "Generation Of Chaos"? All of these games BETTER be included. That's just a short list. I'm getting "DJ Max Portable 2", "Salamander Portable", "Twinbee Portable", etc.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:50 AM

I'm not that interested in the Go, but I'd be glad to be able to transfer my UMDs to memory stick without having to bother with custom firmware. I bet there are many others with older PSPs that feel the same.