Seriously? Activision sueing Double Fine over "Brutal Legend" - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-04-2009, 02:40 PM

Default Seriously? Activision sueing Double Fine over "Brutal Legend"

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/04/ac...brutal-legend/

Okay so Double Fine is Tim Schaefer's company that makes awesome games like Psychonauts. They made Brutal Legend. Activision was originally publishing, but then dropped the game with many assuming it'd die in limbo (which it very nearly did.) Activision completely dropped it.

Luckily for all gamers though EA picked up the game and chose to publish it. NOW Activision, seeing that the game is getting good hype and may actually sell decently, is SUEING EA to stop release of the game. They're argument is "we put money into it before EA did!" so they want credit.

How wretched can you be Activision? After shafting Double Fine and Tim Scheafer, you turn around and sue them too? I hope all the people at Activision die of a very slow and very painful illness as I dance a jig of glee!
Old 06-04-2009, 03:02 PM
HDD Contributor

Activision lost my respect my earlier after the whole Guitar Hero/Rock Band fiasco. Especially when they blocked the instrument patch Harmonix made to allow cross compatibility between PS3 instruments. Harmonix didn't have to do that, they put effort into it because they cared about their fans. Activision (as they are doing now) simply reacted to a threat in the bluntest way possible.

I hate the 21st century. Only in the new millennium would I actually find myself siding with EA against the guys that gave me Kaboom and Pitfall on the Atari 2600. It's the end of days, I tell you.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:08 PM

Activision is the new EA of our times.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Activision lost my respect my earlier after the whole Guitar Hero/Rock Band fiasco. Especially when they blocked the instrument patch Harmonix made to allow cross compatibility between PS3 instruments. Harmonix didn't have to do that, they put effort into it because they cared about their fans. Activision (as they are doing now) simply reacted to a threat in the bluntest way possible.

I hate the 21st century. Only in the new millennium would I actually find myself siding with EA against the guys that gave me Kaboom and Pitfall on the Atari 2600. It's the end of days, I tell you.
When you're the biggest fish in the sea, you start to act differently. But while I feel the premise for Brutal Legends is utterly lame, they dropped the game, EA picked it up, this kind of thing happens all the time. Developers change publishers. If they're happy with their current situation, the sign back with them for more games. If not, they allow their deal to expire and go elsewhere. The old publisher doesn't usually sue because their old partner went elsewhere.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:19 PM
Formerly happyendingHDDVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasl View Post
Damn you you beat me to the punch.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:31 PM

It''s just such a snotty childish and vindictive thing to do ya know? It's like they canned the game originally, and now are taking the stance of "If we can't have it, NO ONE CAN!"

But that's the thing, they COULD have had it, they just chose to drop it. Barf city
Old 06-04-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Tell me about it. Couple years ago you would never hear me say anything good about EA. However, Activision are showing themselves to be quite the whiny baby.

Ugh, why Activision? Why?

You use to be so cool.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasl View Post
Yep, that pretty much sums it up. This is a pretty F'd up situation.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:07 PM
HDD Contributor

Still, there's not much that can be done. There might be a certain ethical highground to boycotting Activision, but that evaporates in the face of:

A) A new guitar hero game.

B) A new Call of Duty or Modern Warfare game.

C) An expansion for World of Warcraft.

Activision can do whatever they like at this point and sit safely in the comfort of knowing that no amount of bad PR could ever hurt them. Their flagship franchises have too much appeal and can't be ignored. They are pretty much immune to bad press at this point with a line up like that.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Still, there's not much that can be done. There might be a certain ethical highground to boycotting Activision, but that evaporates in the face of:

A) A new guitar hero game.

B) A new Call of Duty or Modern Warfare game.

C) An expansion for World of Warcraft.

Activision can do whatever they like at this point and sit safely in the comfort of knowing that no amount of bad PR could ever hurt them. Their flagship franchises have too much appeal and can't be ignored. They are pretty much immune to bad press at this point with a line up like that.
A) No
B) No
C) No

Looks like I could easily stand strong in a boycott