IGN gives cross edge a 3.5 of 10.... anyone play it? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-04-2009, 12:55 AM

Default IGN gives cross edge a 3.5 of 10.... anyone play it?

Ok need some JRPGer input, anyone here actually play this?

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/988/988422p1.html

Seems he didn't like the menu's and learning curve.

Is this game terrible or not? You can never tell these days with JRPGs.

If any vets have input it'd be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:58 AM

What I've heard: if you like any of the characters, get it. If not, then don't.

I really want to get it but I've heard some bad things so I'm on the fence at the moment as well.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:33 AM

I'm playing it right now and a couple of hours in now.. Game is.. Well it's a budget RPG not sure what else to say. It's not great for sure, how much you like it will probably depend on how much you like/know the chars and are willing to except it's quirkiness.. It's already feeling like it's going to be hard though...
Old 06-04-2009, 02:23 AM

I'm playing it on hard.. The systems are somewhat intriguing, but this is really a very classic and simple and grindy JRPG in most respects. There is a basic field where you have random encounters based on elapsed time since your last encounter. You can search the field for special events or pickups. There are multiple types of experience gained from encounters. This can be used to upgrade weapons, stats, and skills. Monsters drop different types of components which can be used to upgrade weapons or in the alchemy system to make new items. So far there is also an achievement style reward system for "titles" in game, and a costume system I have yet to get to.

I'd probably rate it a 6/10 on a JRPG scale so far, but frankly I'm not too deep into it yet. It has the potential to be a bit better than that, but only if you are truly a hardcore JRPG fan. If you are an average gamer, then the IGN score makes sense and this game is not for you.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingtotalass View Post
Ok need some JRPGer input, anyone here actually play this?

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/988/988422p1.html

Seems he didn't like the menu's and learning curve.

Is this game terrible or not? You can never tell these days with JRPGs.

If any vets have input it'd be greatly appreciated.
It's been on my doorstep for about a week, but I'll let you know how I feel about it once I get it.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:16 AM

Now, I haven't played every (J)RPG out there, so this may not be true, but, Cross Edge is innovative in one respect: When you're on the World Map, hit R1 and you get a random encounter without having to wait/run around. That would have saved me soooooooo much time in other RPGs.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:31 AM

Yeah, the reviews kind of make me wary of this game, but with only 2 so far, they may not mean much. Still, even if the game isn't very good I almost feel obligated to buy it, just to show my support for companies to bring over more of these quirky titles that usually wouldn't be localized. It's probably the sort of game I'd enjoy more than the average player anyways.

That said, I'm still waiting until Mana Khemia 2 comes out and I've played it before I play Cross Edge. I'm an anti-spoiler fanatic and don't want to risk them ruining anything for me. It does seem odd to come out with the crossover game a few months before one of the games that's part of the crossover.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:46 PM

I played a bit more of it last night and I'm having a lot more fun. If you think the quality bar of your average GUST rpg and stick it in high def you'll have a fairly good idea of Cross Edge. Put a couple more hours in, figured out more battle system stuff, meet Etna (join me!) and had fun. My biggest complaint at this point is how terrible the game at explaining game systems and setting you up to fail unless you know what to do.

For example.. One of the new group of people can actually cure (and is the only person i know that can). Too bad in order to switch her to healing mode you have to manualy go into the menu, and switch her attack to the healing art one. Luckly i stumbled across it last night or I would have had my ass handed to me. It didn't help that at that point i thought in order to execute an EX attack you had to have a full bar (it only takes one chunk of bar plus full AP to execute). It's stuff like that really brings the game down. I can see someone who say.. Missed the fact that said character could heal (and her EX attack actually revives) existed in the game would be screaming about how much the game sucks.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godstar View Post
It's been on my doorstep for about a week, but I'll let you know how I feel about it once I get it.
Better than your damn neighbors taking it eh?
Old 06-04-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasl View Post
I played a bit more of it last night and I'm having a lot more fun. If you think the quality bar of your average GUST rpg and stick it in high def you'll have a fairly good idea of Cross Edge. Put a couple more hours in, figured out more battle system stuff, meet Etna (join me!) and had fun. My biggest complaint at this point is how terrible the game at explaining game systems and setting you up to fail unless you know what to do.

For example.. One of the new group of people can actually cure (and is the only person i know that can). Too bad in order to switch her to healing mode you have to manualy go into the menu, and switch her attack to the healing art one. Luckly i stumbled across it last night or I would have had my ass handed to me. It didn't help that at that point i thought in order to execute an EX attack you had to have a full bar (it only takes one chunk of bar plus full AP to execute). It's stuff like that really brings the game down. I can see someone who say.. Missed the fact that said character could heal (and her EX attack actually revives) existed in the game would be screaming about how much the game sucks.
Sounds like the same person who designed last remnants tutorials did some work here