Discuss E3 2009 Press Conferences Here - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-01-2009, 03:31 PM

Default Discuss E3 2009 Press Conferences Here

I hope to god this thread doesn't exist already.

Microsoft's conference is over and their showing was pretty great. It will definitely be hard for Sony to top the 360 on the end of innovation (unless they have something truly awesome up their sleeve).

Overall everything we saw was pretty good. The real nice surprises here I think is that we finally get to see the Natal system, which looks promising (albeit making you look even more ridiculous than the Wii controller).

I don't see myself using it, but it looks great for people who do.

Alan Wake's showing was pretty good also. It was nice to see something from the game and it looks like it will become a good Survival Horror.

MGS on 360 is pretty interesting. I hope this doesn't turn into a ninja game. Raiden screams ninja, I hope that isn't a reality.

Impressions from you guys?
Old 06-01-2009, 03:36 PM

it exists in the smackdown forum, there was actually less fanboyism going on than i expected

i posted already but i thought they had a few great looking games that interested me, splinter cell, alan wake, and the halo games

i didn't really think left 4 dead should get a sequel already, seems kind of rushed

but i think this may be the year i finally get a 360, convincing the wife on the other hand, that's another story
Old 06-01-2009, 03:39 PM

L4D sequel most definitely feels rushed....when it comes out this year in November, the gap between the 2 games is only 1 year.
I don't think I would get it, as L4D is getting kinda boring now after the first 2 months of playing.

TF2 however has much longer lasting appeal for me (as a PC gamer)
Old 06-01-2009, 03:41 PM

No smackdown intended, but that press conference was very yawn-worthy to me
Old 06-01-2009, 03:48 PM

I thought most of the "games" portion of the conference was good, but not yawn worthy.

Although I must say that Modern Warfare 2 looks exactly like COD4. I hope they bring some good single player, because I am sure the Multiplayer is going to be much of the same.

The L4D2 release seems kinda lame. The game itself became old REALLY fast.

Alan Wake was good and Splinter Cell looked graphically underwhelming. I am still getting it, but it kinda brought me down a bit.

The hardware updates they are doing are very nice, I just don't know what the mass appeal is going to be. I hope it works as well as they made it look.

By the way, opening a multiplatform games was kinda stupid.

It seems like they paid more money to get the "personalities" on stage, rather than showcase some truly new games. We still didn't see anything "new" software wise from them.

They shoulda kept the money they paid ringo, paul, that girl, and stephen spielberg to make appearances and put it toward the games.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:51 PM

I was very impressed. The Natal thing looked laughable at first but when Molyneux started showing that demo with the British kid I realized how much this was gonna change videogames. Actually interacting and talking with characters, finally having that emotional connection with them that developers keep promising and never delivering.

Crackdown 2 looks horrible. The new art style abandons the cel shading to look like a first gen 360 title with crap textures? Way too dark and serious tone that misses the fun mayhem of the original.

MW2 didn't blow me away either. I'm sure it will be solid, but IW seems to be playing it really safe with this one.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:58 PM
Watcher of stances

didn't care for the Natal thing and Milo.
i'm a huge fan of the fourth wall and not sure gaming should be heading in that direction.

"waggle type controls" are one thing, this seems unnecessary.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:04 PM

My impressions were postive. Alan Wake and Left 4 Dead have me excited but I felt a bit let down by how MS opened with a strong multi plat games.

New Halo.. Meh.. I'll buy and play them.

Natal looks cool in a gimmik like way. Details don't seem solid enough for me to really get excited. The AI stuff at the end looked incredible depending on how well it actually works.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:11 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasl View Post
My impressions were postive. Alan Wake and Left 4 Dead have me excited but I felt a bit let down by how MS opened with a strong multi plat games.

New Halo.. Meh.. I'll buy and play them.

Natal looks cool in a gimmik like way. Details don't seem solid enough for me to really get excited. The AI stuff at the end looked incredible depending on how well it actually works.
My feelings exactly. There's an incredible amount of promise there, but the same could be said for the Wii when it debuted a few years ago, and look how that turned out. And Molyneux making spectacular promises that he fails to deliver on... is a historical precedent.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealo View Post
didn't care for the Natal thing and Milo.
i'm a huge fan of the fourth wall and not sure gaming should be heading in that direction.

"waggle type controls" are one thing, this seems unnecessary.
I always felt that gaming is about breaking that wall down. So, I'm excited about it. However, I need something to latch onto.

I haven't seen the Milo thing, but it's Molyneux so it'll disappoint in some regards.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.