Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-29-2009, 05:56 PM

Default Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3...chet-and/49875

Looking good...is that some co-op I see?
Old 06-23-2009, 04:34 PM

Sounds like they took some ideas from Braid.

http://betav2.gamersyde.com/stream_11553_en.html

Quote:
Ratchet and Clank: A Crack In Time brings Ratchet's robotic sidekick, Clank, back as a playable character. In this game Clank was carrying carrying a golden staff that allows him to activate time pods.

When Clank stands a time pod he can record up to a minute of actions. After Clank is done time rewinds and a holographic Clank carries out the recorded actions. This feature was demonstrated with a puzzle where Clank needs to stand on two switches at the same time to open a door.

Solving this puzzle was easy. First, you record Clank standing on the left button, then rewind time. Then record Clank standing on the right button. While the second recording is going on the first holographic Clank carries out his duties and stands on the first button. Once two Clanks are recorded, the real Clank can run into the door. Players can record up to four Clanks using Time Pods. The puzzle was shown as a sample of how this will be used in the game, but holographic Clanks can also fight. If Clank defeats an enemy during a recording it will respawn when time rewinds and vanish when a holographic Clank attacks it when time moves forward.
Also, apparently this Interview mentions this game will read your Future Tools of Destruction save.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:02 PM

Guess I should have kept my Future Tools of Destruction save then?
Old 06-23-2009, 05:04 PM
HDD Contributor

What will the ToD save do for you? I've got a maxed out one just sitting there in my save game file. Unfortunately, the Playstation Blog is undergoing maintenance right now, so I can't read your interview link.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
What will the ToD save do for you? I've got a maxed out one just sitting there in my save game file. Unfortunately, the Playstation Blog is undergoing maintenance right now, so I can't read your interview link.
I think previous games did this and it gave you an extra weapon or something. Memory is a little fuzzy though.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:54 PM

Default Hands-on: Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time

Quote:
Considering Clank was entirely absent from Quest for Booty, it makes sense for developer Insomniac to give the robotic sidekick the spotlight in its upcoming A Crack in Time. A Crack in Time will feature the largest amount of Clank gameplay in the Ratchet & Clank franchise so far (barring Secret Agent Clank, of course) -- and that's a good thing, as our hands-on with Clank's devious time powers proved a refreshing change for the franchise.

If you've watched our previous video coverage, you'll know that Clank acquires a few Braid-inspired powers. Clank has the ability to throw an orb that slows down time, allowing Clank to effectively run circles around enemies, and slow down certain platforming obstacles. This ability makes Clank the most powerful he's ever been in the franchise, but that's not what makes his gameplay so exciting.

Rather, Clank's ability to create time clones, proves to work quite well in the context of the game. Yes, it's a gimmick that's becoming increasingly common in games, but it feels entirely appropriate for the Ratchet series. To activate Clank's various time clones, he must stand on special colored pads that will allow him to record his actions. One minute of gameplay can be recorded, during which Clank can open a door, pull a switch, or throw a time orb. By activating another pad, Clank's previous actions will be replayed, while this new Clank is able to progress further.

While the initial puzzles are straightforward, there's a lot of potential for more. In fact, Insomniac's James Stevenson told us that we'll eventually see puzzles that go beyond two simultaneous actions. The more challenging puzzles will have players see three, four and five Clanks working in tandem. Coupled with interesting platforming sequences and some action-packed battles, A Crack in Time has the potential to offer a rather unique experience.

Our time with the game was much too short, but it was immediately evident how much more power the Insomniac guys have been able to squeeze out of the PS3. Tools of Destruction was already quite stunning, but the addition of more detailed animations, self-shadowing, and stylized toon-esque explosions, make A Crack in Time even more impressive.

While some may criticize the Ratchet & Clank series for oftentimes playing it safe, A Crack in Time looks to make the most significant advances for the franchise so far. In addition to the new Clank gameplay, the developers are finally introducing the ability to fully customize weapons in the newest iteration. We didn't get to try the feature for ourselves, but it seems like a feature that's been too long in coming. The promise of customizable weapons, mind-bending Clank puzzles, and a proper ending to the Ratchet & Clank Future trilogy's story, has us thinking fans will have a lot to look forward to when the game launches later this year.
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/07/29/ha...crack-in-time/
Old 07-29-2009, 09:36 PM
Formerly the13stuff

I'm looking forward to this game. The first "Future" was my first R&C game and I loved it! The visuals and gameplay are both simply wonderful.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:44 PM

Sounds great. I've never played a R&C game, as I always thought they looked a little to 'kiddy' for my tastes..I suppose I was wrong. I won't go back and play the others, but I will pick this one up and start from scratch with it.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:18 PM

Oh man, that looks great! I wasn't really a fan of the previous games, but I loved ToD. I think the Graphics boost this gen really brought out more "character" in the series. Turning baddies into penguins + groovitron = hilarity. All done in real time and in HD glory.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:21 PM

I'm pretty pumped for this. Though, I wish they'd do an actual time travel game. That would open the door for some interesting levels.

I guess watching John Adams and shit made me want a game that allows me to participate in the Boston Tea Party.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.