PC Question: PCI Express x16 related - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-27-2009, 06:12 PM

Default PC Question: PCI Express x16 related

I'm helping my friend upgrade her bare-bones Dell Vostro 200.

I haven't build a computer in a long time and I don't know the difference between PCI x16 1.0 and 2.0. I called Dell up and they said that it's a PCI Express x16 slot. Does it matter if the vid card is 1.0 or 2.0? Will it work regardless? Dell said it would but the tech person didn't sound like they knew what they were talking about.

Also, the initial PSU is 300 watts....I probably need to get her a new PSU as well right?
Old 05-27-2009, 06:14 PM

its the same. you can use a pci x16 2.0 card on a pci x16 1.0 express port. supposedly 2.0 but alot of people say its just bs. as for the psu, it depends on the card.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:18 PM

More than likely you'd want a stronger PSU, but it does depend on the card, and the other devices plugged into it. As a reference, I just bought a 750w PSU for the purpose of (eventually) running 2 PCI-Es in Crossfire, but the card I bought (Radeon 4890) is a bit of a beast, so it needs the extra power. I got the 750w so when the price comes down and I can buy a 2nd one for cheap, I'll be ready for it.

Also, and I know this sounds obvious but I have to say it - make sure the Mobo has a PCI-E slot available to use before you go plunking down cash. As for 1.0 VS 2.0, this thread seems to indicate you'll maybe see a difference running in Crossfire/SLI, but nothing to worry about for singles

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=45229
Old 05-27-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maley View Post
I'm helping my friend upgrade her bare-bones Dell Vostro 200.

I haven't build a computer in a long time and I don't know the difference between PCI x16 1.0 and 2.0. I called Dell up and they said that it's a PCI Express x16 slot. Does it matter if the vid card is 1.0 or 2.0? Will it work regardless? Dell said it would but the tech person didn't sound like they knew what they were talking about.

Also, the initial PSU is 300 watts....I probably need to get her a new PSU as well right?
As to the PSU - yes you're likely to want to beef that up if she wants a higher end graphics card. Take a peak at whatever power recommendations come with the card she/you are interested in. If she just wants something basic, then you may not need a good card, and then 300w is probably fine.

I think I went with 500w the last time I touched my desktop (when I added an 8800gt)
Old 05-27-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maley View Post
I can't stress this enough...try to go as silent as possible. The noise at first won't bother you, but if you leave it as a "hub" like I do...go for silent. Also, don't bother with "bling lighting". It's annoying.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
I can't stress this enough...try to go as silent as possible. The noise at first won't bother you, but if you leave it as a "hub" like I do...go for silent. Also, don't bother with "bling lighting". It's annoying.
I know I know. This is for her, it's not going to be playing Crysis, she just wants to play some..what I'd call regular PC games, for example: Team Fortress 2.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:15 PM

I'm only spouting what should be said. It's a dummy check type thing. Most should know this...but just in case. It tends to slip the mind as those lights, and things look cool. However, soon those "cool lights" will bleed over into areas you don't what them to.

My computer looks like the Incredible Hulk. It's a monster case, with bright ass green lights. Sure, it looked cool at first...now it's just a fucking light bright. It's annoying.

I'm merely trying to save others. Learn from me...it ain't cool.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.