PSN Classics heating up: Next week: RE: Director's Cut - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-22-2009, 08:59 PM

Default PSN Classics heating up: Next week: RE: Director's Cut

http://www.capcom-unity.com/mattd/bl..._to_psn_may_28

May 28th for $9.99!

Quote:
Resident Evil: Directors Cut PS1 - Coming to PSN May 28!
Friday, May 22, 2009, 05:17 PM CST [General]

What is up!

This is my first blog post, so I'll start out by making a quick introduction. My name is Matt Dahlgren, and I am one of the marketing dudes that work here at Capcom. I am the lucky one that gets assigned all things Resident Evil, so will be posting here more often trying to give you some tidbits of information about what is going on with the franchise.

(I don't mean lucky sarcastically, I've been following this series long before I even dreamt of working for the company. Working on RE gives my gamer soul a bit of validation - at least the part I haven't sold to the marketing gods. Heh)

First up for information - Capcom recently announced that it was going to be making some of our original PlayStation 1 titles available for download on PSN. First on that list happens to be the original Resident Evil: Director's Cut, which is going to be available on May 28 for the price of $9.99. This is pretty awesome news, because it is an easy way to experience the introduction of the franchise if you missed out when it came out originally. This is the game that hooked me on this franchise; I still have very fond memories playing this all night with a friend after renting, and dying repeatedly on the first zombie encounter while trying to figure out why playing as Chris Redfield was so effing hard. Scenes come across as super cheesy by today's standards, but for the hardcore, these are things that make the game pretty endearing. It's definitely a classic to say the least.

A quick search on YouTube, I found a pretty entertaining video about Director's Cut, with some interesting British commentary. What YouTube doesn't have, I dunno... Enjoy.

For more info on Director's Cut - click More.

This game also features both Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine, who both appeared in RE5. If you want to check out the back story, this is a cool opportunity to see how these characters were introduced into the series, and how they subsequently put themselves in a position to be repeatedly attacked by zombies for years to come. Such is the life. Haha.

For those who don't know what the Director's Cut version is, this is the updated version of the original game that spawned the Resident Evil franchise, which was released 18 months after the original. It features an "Arranged Mode" which essentially mixes up the item placement, camera angles, and enemy placement, to give people a different path through the game than found in the original 1996 version. The game also includes classic moments such as the dogs that jump through windows and scare the crap out of people, as well as one of the cheesiest live action intros ever made.

(I still remember thinking as a kid - OMG, PS1 can do live action! Yet simultaneous wondering why the acting was sooooooo bad. Haha)

Also, speaking of the original game, the awesome remake that was done back in 2002 on the GameCube is making its way to the Wii under the Resident Evil Archives sub-brand this June. If you didn't own a GameCube, or don't own a GameCube controller, this is an easy way to experience quite possibly one of the best Resident Evil games ever made for only $29.99. For fans who loved the original, the remake is pretty much a completely different experience, full of new levels and enemies, yet still has all the nostalgia and classic moments of the original, with a few twists to keep you off guard.

That's it for now - I'll be back with other Resident Evil related news/commentary, especially stuff on Darkside Chronicles soon.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:06 PM

Screw Resident Evil... Where's my Final Fantasy VII and my Legend of Dragoon?
Old 05-22-2009, 09:26 PM

Here is my requisite post asking for Diablo.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:44 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx_75 View Post
Here is my requisite post asking for Diablo.
I actually remember playing that with a friend on the PS1 back in the 90's. We'd get together at his girlfriend's house (she was rich) where a HUUUUUGE projection screen would put it up and we'd spend the entire afternoon playing through that thing.

Good times.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBM128 View Post
Where's my Final Fantasy VII...?
Already in your game collection!
Old 05-22-2009, 10:01 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
Already in your game collection!
Yep. I've still got my CDs sitting in their case. Even fired it up last year... and couldn't get past the super-deformed anime characters.

I kind of wish they'd done a FFVIII on it in terms of art design instead of being so wildly unpredictable with which character style they were going for, even in cut-scenes, for some reason FFVIII has aged better to my eyes as a result of that consistency.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:05 PM

I hope for the sake of anyone picking this up that it's not the Dual Shock version. But seriously, $10 is too much when you consider that the Japanese version is only about $5.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:39 PM
Watcher of stances

10$ is too much, 5.99$ would have been my cutoff
Old 05-22-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Yep. I've still got my CDs sitting in their case. Even fired it up last year... and couldn't get past the super-deformed anime characters.

I kind of wish they'd done a FFVIII on it in terms of art design instead of being so wildly unpredictable with which character style they were going for, even in cut-scenes, for some reason FFVIII has aged better to my eyes as a result of that consistency.
Totally agree. Hell, Xenogears has aged pretty well, IMHO. It looks rather smooth via the PS3.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSX2 View Post
I hope for the sake of anyone picking this up that it's not the Dual Shock version.
That's the one with the different soundtrack...right?

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.