The Sims 3... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-20-2009, 04:25 PM

Default The Sims 3...

Looked back as far as I could to see if there was a discussion of this game and I can't find one in about 8 pages, so I'll start a new one.

I just installed this game two days ago and the 1st night I was up until 2 in the morning.. last night until 3 (I work 9-5) This new version of the Best Selling PC-Game of Alltime absolutely DESTROYS the previous 2 versions of the sims (their expansions included) The game is set to release on the 1st of June but I couldn't wait that long to try it out and see if it measures up... damn does it Ever measure up!! 10 out of 10...

The character creation-room is a little awkward at first but once you discover all the improvements and how you can change any color or pattern or skin-tone manually, it becomes extremely user-friendly. One of the 1st new changes you discover is you can actually set your characters VOICE... there's a slider that allows your ditsy blonde to have a high, squeaky voice, or your Large Marge or Muscle-bound Vira DeMillo have a super deep voice.

The biggest change in the game obviously is you can now walk all over town, or jog to anywhere you want, ride a bike or drive a car without a single loading screen. You can zoom out of a house or resturant, look accross town and zoom in to see who's playing at the park, at the swimming pools, on the beach, etc.. the entire town and surrounding areas is a complete virtual world.. like watching an electronic Ant Farm in action.

Skill requirements are completely gone for careers.. now it's all about performance or making the right decisions, pleasing the boss or co-workers, Not how many bars you have in Logic or Body or Charisma. SKILLS are learned by reading specialty books. And no, you dont own them automatically, you have to buy them at the bookstore or read them at the Library... skills like fishing and cooking and tinkering, etc.

Cooking you learn from books, but you also learn your recipes.. same with fishing, you read how to catch certain types of fish, including sharks. unlike previous games, everything has more then one purpose... when you catch a fish, you can either sell it at the market, use it in your cooking inventory, or use it to fertalize your garden.

Jobs... there's MAJOR changes here... like I said, you no longer need required skill lvl's to advance or get a promotion, but they didn't leave it there. They gave the game Quests.. Just like Warcraft, just like GTA... take for instance, the job I had... I started as a criminal... got busted in an attempt to rob a house.. sitting in jail I decided to join the Police instead of burning-up a couple days sitting in a cell.. and of course eventually I worked my way up to Special Agent (you can branch into the Special Agent direction or CSI direction.) Then my Boss gave me an assignment that if done well could help to get me promoted.. I was given a name and told I had to make the dude my friend so that he could become an informant. That's it... a name... I spent most of the night looking for the dude and finally I discovered his brother... so I built a quick relationship with the brother to get to the Informant.. finally finding him, he turned out to be a real asshole.. so building a friendship with him is easier said then done. But you get the point. It actually gives you the options of advancing your game by taking on missions or objectives or challenges to gain promotions or Life Rewards.

Life Rewards are no longer those stupid futuristic objects that drain memory, days or money from someone... it's now a huge directory of traits you can purchase with the rewards... traits like Super Tidy, that let you clean anything twice as fast, Life of the Party, that prevents you from ever having a bad conversation. Social and physical Traits that allow you to do things better and faster.

Every aspect of the game has been improved... especially the "looks" of the game.. the graphics are outstanding. (like outside the house, the trees and leaves actually sway and the shadows casted accross your garden are swaying as well. The visuals are just stunning. Every night you're finding 10 or 15 things you didn't know existed because they improved on the last couple games that much.

I give it two extreme thumbs up (and I play Warcraft daily, I havn't even desired to play Warcraft since I began playing Sims 3)

I'll be purchasing the collectors edition of the game on June 1st, because even though any download or trial version might be nice to see if you like it, you still need a viable registration if you ever want to upload custom content and custom made sims and clothing from the exchange... and that is more then worth the price of admission.

Last edited by zombiequest; 05-20-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:34 PM

not my type of game, and i tried playing a sims game for the psp and it was alright.
this looks pretty cool though, also based from what you've said it sounds good.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:05 PM

3rd night and a LOT more improvements were discovered...

Biggest Improvement... when you make enough money with any career you have, you can click on businesses and become a "partner" in the business. Depending on the size of the business.. a diner for instance cost $6,000 to become a "partner".. while a Supermarket cost $16,000 and a Business Building costs around $18,000. Good news is you dont have to do squat to run the business.. you're only finacing it once when you become a Partner for that price. After that, every month you go from business to business at the end of the month and collect half of their profits... which is usually $1,000 from the Diner, $3,000 from the Supermarket, etc... depending on the size of the business determines your profit from that company. THEN... lets say you have around $30,000 in income sitting around... when you hit the value of their business you're given the option to Purchase the business outright, and thereby getting ALL the profit it makes every month... It's like Tony Soprano in action.. you can pretty much own the entire town eventually. Add more businesses to the town and buy them out, etc.. you can become a Mega-Millionare without working a day from then on as long as you turn off the Aging so you're not an old fart by the time you have enough to buy out businesses. It's a blast! You couldn't do this with previous games I dont think.. you could start your own business in the past, but you had to work there or go through the hassels of hiring or firing people to keep it afloat. You can do that also in this game if you want to, but just becoming a partner and then buying the businesses and becoming their CEO is an easier way to go.

Of course it goes without saying that ANYTHING in the game can be customized.. re-colored with just a click of the mouse and hundreds of patterns and textures to chose from you so you can change anything... I changed the Bikini-texture my Babe was wearing into Lizard Skin, cow hide, plastic-wrap, leather, Metal, etc... it looks baddass no matter what you add, but you never need to find those textures outside of the game ever again... it's so sweet!
Old 05-22-2009, 01:41 PM

I had zero interest in this game until I saw this preview here... DARN YOU

Now I want it bad and I am not sure my laptop can handle the graphics
Old 05-22-2009, 02:59 PM

I had a luke-warm interest in the game also after being so pumped up for Will Wright's Spore that turned out to be a collosal Mess and a huge waste of time and money.. Sims 3 is light years away from that or anything else Will put out.. Completely won me over and its definitely worth the price of admission. And it wasn't lead by Will Wright this time.. (Maybe that's why it's so good.. he spent all his time bombing badly with Spore instead.)

I plan on getting the Manual with the game eventually also so I know how to do a lot more things.. I've fired a few lame employees from a couple of the businesses I own and I was unsure how to entice or hire new employees to replace them, took a little while but finally figured out how.. having the book would save some time on those minor details so you can get back into the game-play again.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:47 AM

Does it use the same copy-protection they use in Spore?
Old 05-23-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky Pine View Post
Does it use the same copy-protection they use in Spore?
No. That was done by Will Wright's team for Spore only and they completely eliminated it after the massive backlash... To be honest, this has the same sims "Feel" (only better) but it was done by a completely new and better team of creators. Will Wright and his team had little to zero involvement as far as I've heard.. Unless they all follow the same EA format of protection, this is completely without it. (I think Spore learned it's lesson, now they're trying to make amends... too late if you ask me.. Spore had one shot to impress you and it failed.)
Old 05-23-2009, 03:16 PM

That's a relief.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:01 PM

Hmmm Might have to check my PC Specs out, see if it can handle this game...

But I always got verrrrry bored of my sims not seeming to be able to stay up throughout the day............... it frustrated me... If I want you to sit, read, workout all day... you'll flippin do it until you wet yourself and if your friend starts to whinge about it, they'll find themselves sealed into a room until they DIE!!!
Old 05-23-2009, 09:34 PM

Satan's Puppet: Try this http://www.systemrequirementslab.com...option_id=8077

Though I found it strange that it told me I could run the game even though I don't have SP 2.