Wal*Mart enters used game market - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-18-2009, 02:10 AM

Default Wal*Mart enters used game market

Does it sounds so strange? Not really when you think about it, this is Wal-Mart after all. Most people are unaware at the moment, but Wal-Mart is now accepting used games to trade for credit.

Just a few hours ago, I went to the one near my house and was quite surprised at what I saw. Apparently they had a installed a new vending machine less than a day ago which allows you to trade in your used PS2, PS3, X-Box, 360 and Wii games.

The machine looks extremely similiar to the Redbox DVD rental machines. When I went to use the machine, however, it still had more than a few bugs that need fixing. The first issue occurs right after you login. When logging in, you are asked to scan your games. However once you do so, there is a glitch that logs you out immidiately entering your information. After you log back in, the issue seems to repeats itself.

An additional issue is that it seems that the machine is unable to scan games. I took a few of my games to test it out. Final Fantasy 12, Godfather 2, Mirror's Edge, Ractchet and Clank, Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando and Burnout 3: Takedown. However one game, Mirror's Edge, did indeed get scanned but i got a pop-up message which stated that game was not in its database.

In the end, all the bugs and glitches prevented me from trading in any of my games and customer service was closed at the time so I was out on my own. But still, if there is one business out there to give Gamespot some competition, it's the giant Wal-Mart. We'll be writing further on the issue about why we think Wal-Mart has the power to steal Gamestop's limelight in the used game market.

http://neocrisis.com/content/view/3918/1/
Old 05-18-2009, 04:19 AM

First time I have heard of this practice. Thanks for posting...I may deal with Wal-mart in the future instead of Gamestop...at least give them a shot.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:28 AM

Well, if you had a shrink wrapper Wal Mart has always taken in used.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taygan315 View Post
First time I have heard of this practice. Thanks for posting...I may deal with Wal-mart in the future instead of Gamestop...at least give them a shot.
Same here, Gamestop's tradein policy is atrocious. They wanted to give me $2.99 for store credit and sell my same game used for $14.99. I welcome an alternative option.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosul210 View Post
Same here, Gamestop's tradein policy is atrocious. They wanted to give me $2.99 for store credit and sell my same game used for $14.99. I welcome an alternative option.
My guess is that Walmart won't be much better. From the little I've seen, Amazon's prices aren't great either. I think it's simply the nature of the business.

I'd say if you really want top dollar for your used games (legally, Twonun ) you'd need to sell them on your own.

That said, it's always nice to have options.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:42 AM

I would rather have walmart store credit than GS.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:53 AM

Walmart would get my business before Gamestop would. The guys in there are complete jerks or at least in my local store. They try to be nice, but i've watched them with other customers and if your not spending a lot of cash, your in their way. I regularly buy new titles, but sometimes if I haven't played the new release like Fear 2 back when it came out, I would buy Fear 1 first, well they will try to talk you into buying both in one day for YOUR convenience.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerGuy View Post
I'd say if you really want top dollar for your used games (legally, Twonun ) you'd need to sell them on your own.
I only did it once...and only once. It was for an HD DVD of Crappy Feet that I bought. There hasn't been a film since that has pissed me off as much as that one. That's arguably the worst animated film I've seen this decade. Warner should be obligated to issue refunds for those unfortunate enough to have seen it.

Anyway, I'm starting to notice most stores are stupid enough to take back "reshrinked" disc. There's been quite a few times I've seen it done. Then again, I live in Baltimore. So, it's probably more of a city thing...what with all the druggies and shit. Hell, my local Gamestops, and used outlets have tons of "used" goods. "Used" as in five finger discounts. I scored a Blanka Fightpad for $20. Also, I can get BDs for $12.50...pretty much new. They still have the damn seals on them.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:30 AM

Hey guys...

If you hate their trade-in prices/policies...

Use eBay.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:58 AM

seeing as it's walmart, and going by the general walmart crowd in my area, i predict the machines to almost never-be functioning, and any available slots/holes in the machine to be crammed with loose change, trash, some various sticky substances, and smelling of curry.