Aquanaut's Holiday - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-14-2009, 11:46 PM

Default Aquanaut's Holiday

This is basically for you Shoeless, but is Aquanaut's Holiday worth 29.90?

http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-...j-70-3d7j.html

That's the deal at Play-Asia right now, and I was thinking about getting it(First import this gen).

Last edited by BladeofTheImmortal; 05-15-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:12 AM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeofTheImmortal View Post
This is basically for you Shoeless, but is Aquanaut's Holiday worth 29.90?

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-...n-70-3d7j.html

That's the deal at Play-Asia right now, and I was thinking about getting it(First import this gen).
It's worth it if you can get into non-violent games with bizarrely ecological and spiritual plots. If you're more of a shooter fan, avoid, AVOID, AVOID, you WILL hate this game with a passion.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:30 AM

It's my birthday today. I saw this thread and on a whim I ordered it. Hope it's good.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:13 AM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZebraMajor View Post
It's my birthday today. I saw this thread and on a whim I ordered it. Hope it's good.
It really depends on what kind of gaming you enjoy. Strange plot aside, the best way to describe the game is a High-Def, interactive version of BBC's "Blue Planet" documentary series, except that at that price, it's probably even cheaper than the DVD compilation. The graphics are quite pretty, with very detailed recreations of marine life and your goal in the game is two fold; you play a journalist trying to get to the bottom of the disappearance of a marine biologist, while at the same time exploring the atoll's reef and cataloging its life. It's a very relaxing game, and if you have a family EXTREMELY educational, but as I said, a traditional hardcore gamer that feels that games begin and end with first person shooters? Complete hatred. It's a non-game in that sense since you don't kill anything.

The English translation was clearly not done in the west as there are some obvious grammar errors here and there, and the journalist's dialog (all text, no spoken dialog) consists of tacking the word "Well..." at the end of nearly every sentence he utters.

But shortcomings aside, for people that can embrace non-action oriented games, or just people looking to explore the oceans virtually (or even families looking for new interesting ways to get their children interested in marine life) this probably one of the more interesting entries in Sony's library. Unfortunately it will likely never be properly localized for the West as Sony has correctly surmised the audience here isn't big enough for it, though it actually sold decently in Japan.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:52 AM

Pretty much in agreement with Shoeless.

If you're into playing the more obscure side of games you'll enjoy it. It's kind of like one giant underwater treasure hunt with a dash of simon says tossed in. I found it to be an enjoyable distraction for about 10 hours, but I don't have the patience for the trophies.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:00 AM

Ok, so I mean what are the "objectives" in the game? I play tons of shit. I want to get Flower, love Katamari, Rythym Heaven, and just the weird titles. Most of them usually have an objective though, so I'm just wondering if it's a game that'll actually hook me even though there isn't killing or maybe even an actual objective.

I love Ocean Life and reading about it, is it kind of like Hakuna Matata(Afrika).

Afrika and Aquanauts Holiday are both 29.90 right now, I'm just wondering if it would be worth it for one of them because I do like the artsy games like Ico/Shadow of the Colossus, but both of those still have an objective to help you through the game, are these the same?

EDIT: I love Planet Earth on Blu-ray, if this helps any.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:38 AM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeofTheImmortal View Post
Ok, so I mean what are the "objectives" in the game? I play tons of shit. I want to get Flower, love Katamari, Rythym Heaven, and just the weird titles. Most of them usually have an objective though, so I'm just wondering if it's a game that'll actually hook me even though there isn't killing or maybe even an actual objective.

I love Ocean Life and reading about it, is it kind of like Hakuna Matata(Afrika).

Afrika and Aquanauts Holiday are both 29.90 right now, I'm just wondering if it would be worth it for one of them because I do like the artsy games like Ico/Shadow of the Colossus, but both of those still have an objective to help you through the game, are these the same?

EDIT: I love Planet Earth on Blu-ray, if this helps any.
As I said, in this game the primary objective is finding the missing marine biologist. That's the MacGuffin that kicks this whole thing off. The game is divided into two modes, the actual ocean exploration mode, where you'll spend the bulk of your playtime, and the "base mode" when you return to resupply, and talk to the two primary NPCs to open up side missions or advance the main plot.

When you're exploring the ocean, you really only have one primary goal; to expand your range of mobility. The game rationalizes the atoll as having some bizarre magnetic properties that render conventional radar useless, so in order to safely travel, sonar buoys have been dispersed around the area by the missing marine biologist. Unfortunately, all the batteries have run out on the buoys, and the mini-sub you use to explore has been outfitted with a safety mechanism that kills the engine if you attempt to explore beyond a fixed range from an active buoy.

So as the game progresses, you reactivate the buoys with batteries purchased at the base, expanding your range until you finally finish the main storyline. That's the main objective, though the game doesn't end when you finish the main plot and quite a few added side-missions become available upon completion.

A secondary objective is, believe it or not, singing to fishes. In each area, there are a certain number of fish (this doesn't happen until a few chapters into the game) that simply remain stationary and emit note sequences comprising only four notes. You have to listen to their song and then replicate using the shoulder buttons, with each new visitation to said fish requiring a song of increasing complexity to replay. If you successfully replay the song, you'll be rewarded with "meme" (the game's equivalent of XP) which you can use to purchase sub upgrades such as increased speed, better turning rate, larger carrying capacity for batteries, etc.

And finally the tertiary objective is the cataloging of marine life. This is in no way actually necessary to completing the storyline, but it's probably the most fun aspect of the game. Especially when you start encountering the larger and more exotic forms of aquatic life such as the whale shark or giant squid.

Of course, completing ALL of these objectives is required for the full platinum trophy, but none of them are particularly difficult (not when compared to say, Elite difficulty on Calzone 2) just extremely slow and/or tedious.

Graphically it's a very good looking game. It's obviously not the showboat that Calzone 2 is, but let's be honest, creating polygonal fish is probably not a hard thing to do, and they've done an excellent job of recreating each individual species with very convincing animation. You'll occasionally see some frame rate hitches when you have a million buzillion fish in a school swarming you, but it doesn't happen too often. The game is also largely seamless when you enter the water, though it can sometimes pause (again Calzone 2 like, for a moment or two) if you move to another area too quickly and the game hadn't anticipated your movement there and pre-loaded it.

That's a basic mini-review of the game. Myself, I paid full price for it on Play-Asia and I have no regrets. However, from what I've heard Afrika and even the bizarrely named Hakuna Matata Asian version are not in English, so there's a lot more trial and error involved in that game as opposed to this one.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:52 AM

Hmm, it said English/Korean for Hakuna Matata. Guess I'll check out Aquanauts Holiday then. Sounds pretty good, and I plan ong etting Infamous too, so a game based around not killing would be fun to have as well.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:24 PM

Ok, I bit and I can't wait till this game gets in. I'll update with impressions when it gets here
Old 05-15-2009, 09:26 PM

I liked Linger In Shadows (which isn't even really a game) and Flower so something off the beaten path is OK by me. It sounds similar to Endless Ocean on the Wii.

I'll update with my impressions as well when it comes in.