Sam Keller suing EA sports - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-08-2009, 10:37 AM

Default Sam Keller suing EA sports

sportsillustrated.com

Sam Keller you are a drain to society. If I buy a college sports game I like to be able to go into the roster menu and rename the players to match real players. EA doesn't give the real names, they randomly name players but you want to sue them because a user can rename the players to match the real player.

Sam I'm sorry you weren't a very good college quarterback and you failed to make it to the NFL. But grow a pair, go out and get a real job (you did go to college after all) and don't try to make money from suing game companies because a fan of yours renamed the Nebraska QB Sam Keller in a video game.

If this wins in court I think I might sue Sony because I was able to create myself in MLB '09 The Show and I'm not getting any compensation for it.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
sportsillustrated.com

Sam Keller you are a drain to society. If I buy a college sports game I like to be able to go into the roster menu and rename the players to match real players. EA doesn't give the real names, they randomly name players but you want to sue them because a user can rename the players to match the real player.

Sam I'm sorry you weren't a very good college quarterback and you failed to make it to the NFL. But grow a pair, go out and get a real job (you did go to college after all) and don't try to make money from suing game companies because a fan of yours renamed the Nebraska QB Sam Keller in a video game.

If this wins in court I think I might sue Sony because I was able to create myself in MLB '09 The Show and I'm not getting any compensation for it.
While I agree Sam is possibly just trying to money grab and likely wouldn't be filing this suit if he had an NFL paycheck, I also believe the suit has plenty of merit based on the little I've read. It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out.

I've got a thread on this in the water cooler section, but whatever.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:47 AM

it is a lot easier to upload/download rosters with the newer games, i don't know how people did it before, but last year's ncaa game had the "ea locker" where you could just put in someone's GT/PSN and download their rosters

but still, someone has to take the time to put in all that player info and ea isn't really providing it
Old 05-08-2009, 10:51 AM

I'm going to sue Nintendo for the head injury I received after I thought it was completely possible to break a brick wall with my skull
Old 05-08-2009, 10:57 AM

Why not sue CBS and ESPN? They play college games and the players don't recieve any compensation. I'm just saying EA doesn't use real names in the game becuase they are not allowed to use real college players. If a user wants to rename players in the roster section they should be able to. If Sam has his way I'm afraid that EA will not longer give the option to allow users to rename players in the game. I don't think college athletes should be paid for playing sports. Personaly, I think the compensation should be with EA, NCAA and the schools, not individual players. I'm just saying this hurts video games and opens the door to more lawsuits. What about stores that sale jerseys with the players name on them? The players don't get that money. I'll make my way over to the water cooler to see your prospective.

I don't know Sam and he might be a really great guy...I just don't agree with his lawsuit is all.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmahan52 View Post
it is a lot easier to upload/download rosters with the newer games, i don't know how people did it before, but last year's ncaa game had the "ea locker" where you could just put in someone's GT/PSN and download their rosters

but still, someone has to take the time to put in all that player info and ea isn't really providing it
In the past people would sale the rosters on ebay. You could buy the roster for a couple dollars send them your memory card and they would load it. Some also sold memory cards pre-loaded with the rosters so you could just buy that and not worry about sending your own. I never did this. I like the ACC so for Basketball I just renamed the players myself.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
Why not sue CBS and ESPN? They play college games and the players don't recieve any compensation. I'm just saying EA doesn't use real names in the game becuase they are not allowed to use real college players. If a user wants to rename players in the roster section they should be able to. If Sam has his way I'm afraid that EA will not longer give the option to allow users to rename players in the game. I don't think college athletes should be paid for playing sports. Personaly, I think the compensation should be with EA, NCAA and the schools, not individual players. I'm just saying this hurts video games and opens the door to more lawsuits. What about stores that sale jerseys with the players name on them? The players don't get that money. I'll make my way over to the water cooler to see your prospective.

I don't know Sam and he might be a really great guy...I just don't agree with his lawsuit is all.

Oh, there's nothing really new over in my post, so no need to go check it out.

I won't pretend to know the details of the TV contracts and jersey sales, but I'm basing my stance on the following quote from my link in the other thread.

Quote:
“With rare exception, virtually every real-life Division I football or basketball player in the NCAA has a corresponding player in Electronic Arts’ games with the same jersey number, and virtually identical height, weight, build and home state,” the lawsuit claims. “In addition, Electronic Arts often matches the player’s skin tone, hair color and often even a player’s hair style.”

The suit further contends that the NCAA and its licensing arm, Collegiate Licensing Company, have approved such use of players’ names and likenesses, which clashes with the NCAA bylaw that prohibits commercialization of a student-athlete’s name, picture or likeness.
Perhaps this is similar to TV rights and I'm not sure how the jersey sales work, I just think the case is interesting and has enough merit to not be completely dismissed.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerGuy View Post
While I agree Sam is possibly just trying to money grab and likely wouldn't be filing this suit if he had an NFL paycheck, I also believe the suit has plenty of merit based on the little I've read. It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out.

I've got a thread on this in the water cooler section, but whatever.
yep, totally agreed on all points
Old 05-08-2009, 12:00 PM

he's got a point, if they can't profit from their likeliness which is stupid by the way, no one should. they should not allow those names and make it a fantasy ncaa game.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intheend View Post
he's got a point, if they can't profit from their likeliness which is stupid by the way, no one should. they should not allow those names and make it a fantasy ncaa game.
Would you say that college games shouldn't be played on TV or fans allowed to watch the games. More money is made from that than video games and players don't get compensated. I just see this lawsuit leading to more lawsuits with players wanting to be paid for playing college sports.

I guess I'm in the minority of gamers who play sports games. I don't want a "fantasy sports game" I want a sports game that is as close to real life as possible...even if I have to modify the rosters myself. It just seems that Sam Keller and those who posted on this forum don't want me to be able to rename players .

I understand those who don't play sports games not caring if a user can modify player names but are there any gamers on here who do play college sports games that would be fine with EA not allowing you to modify your rosters? I mean it's not like they do a perfect job. I always have to go in and modify player attributes to better match the real player.

If EA created the players with real names I could understand them getting in trouble and being forced to stop...but not allow me to do so once I buy the game seems silly. I guess no one else agrees (or cares), I can live with that. The world would be pretty boring if we all thought the same way.