Odd 360 Question - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-08-2009, 10:37 AM

Default Odd 360 Question

OK I have 3 XBox 360 Units (2 20GB NON HDMI and a 60GB HDMI) and they are all hard wired to my wiring closet. I use the 2 20GB units to stream netflix and for my kids to play disney games on and the 60GB is used for me to play on. The only issue is that when ANY of the 3 are on Live (they all have seperate gold subscriptions) then the other 2 will not log in to Live.. This is a bit frustrating. For example if I log into Live to stream netflix in the living room (which my kids do regularly thruout the day) when I get home and turn on my 360 it will not connect to Live (gives me an error saying Live is unavailable). If I go turn the one in the Living room off and wait about 5 minutes (or reboot the router) then the one in my theatre room works fine but the living room one doesn't connect (or the one upstairs either) I can connect just fine with any of the 3 just as long as the other 2 are not on and connected. If they are on and not signed in to Live then it doesn't seem to matter. Any ideas on what the heck the issue is? This is frustrating me rather badly as I really want to stop having to go thru the house turning things off and/or rebooting my router constantly. Everything else works splendidly. All the HTPCs, The HD DVD players, the BD players, PS3 etc all work fine just cant log into Live but on one at the time. As I said they all have seperate accounts (they aren't subaccounts they all have specific Gold accounts). Any help on this would be great.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:19 AM

Are they all using wireless adaptors, or hard wired?
Old 05-08-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrochaos View Post
Are they all using wireless adaptors, or hard wired?
All Hard Wired. Connected to a 48 Port 10/100 Switch in my wiring closet that connects to my router.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:48 PM

I had/have a similar issue. I run a Cisco 8xx series router wiht a 48 port switch and was having the same issues with multiple xboxes on the same network. There are a few resolutions to this depending on your network setup. The issue stems form MS locking the ports needed for Live in the system and not allowing them to be user specified. You can sing up for 2 extra Public Ips from your ISP. If you don't want to do that let me know what your network setup is like and we should be able to get you hooked up. Unfortunately some of the fixes only allow one of the xboxes to have "Open NAT".

I use quotes because MS apaprently just decided to make up a crazy phrase like open nat and have not explanation of what it is...it doesn't make any damn sense.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyone01 View Post
I had/have a similar issue. I run a Cisco 8xx series router wiht a 48 port switch and was having the same issues with multiple xboxes on the same network. There are a few resolutions to this depending on your network setup. The issue stems form MS locking the ports needed for Live in the system and not allowing them to be user specified. You can sing up for 2 extra Public Ips from your ISP. If you don't want to do that let me know what your network setup is like and we should be able to get you hooked up. Unfortunately some of the fixes only allow one of the xboxes to have "Open NAT".

I use quotes because MS apaprently just decided to make up a crazy phrase like open nat and have not explanation of what it is...it doesn't make any damn sense.
He might be able to get around it by forwarding the ports in his router to each specific 360.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godstar View Post
He might be able to get around it by forwarding the ports in his router to each specific 360.
Unfortunately port forwarding does not work like that. Each forwarded port is only capable of being pointed to a single host at a time. And with the xbox 360s not allowing you to specify which ports to use for connecting they all use the same port and cannot be forwarded staticly.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyone01 View Post
Unfortunately port forwarding does not work like that. Each forwarded port is only capable of being pointed to a single host at a time. And with the xbox 360s not allowing you to specify which ports to use for connecting they all use the same port and cannot be forwarded staticly.
Ah, I thought they had a range of ports, so you could use 1, 2 or all of them.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:17 PM

I've got two 360s running online in my house.
I run one hard wired and the other with the MS wireless adapter.
They've been online together for about two years and there's rarley ever been a problem.

I don't really have the specific answer to your dilemma, but running one wirelessly may help.
Good luck.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:42 AM

Thanks for the responses guys. I have a single static IP now (I am a network engineer so feel free to use the big words if you have solutions ) but run NAT thru my router and use port forwarding now to my Home server. I am pretty sure that being wired vs wireless should make no difference as they both would run back thru the same router and the same interface (although I am willing to try it to see if it resolves it) but the issue that I have is that wireless doesn't work very well in my house (large house with plaster walls) so streaming from Netflix gets pretty choppy on wireless (which is what the other 2 XBoxes are used for primarily..like 99.9% of the time) so wireless would only be a "see it works doing it this way" solution not a permenant solution. I could live with just being able to get 2 at the time working (they are never all 3 in use at the same time) so if there is a network workaround for that I am willing to do whatever. If anyone has a link that tells me what to do I can probably manage it I just can't find any solutions after wading thru 10000 posts about people complaining about connectivity issues with just 1 XBox (which I have never had) but nothing about issues with 2 on the same network
Old 05-09-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tormond View Post
OK I have 3 XBox 360 Units (2 20GB NON HDMI and a 60GB HDMI) and they are all hard wired to my wiring closet. I use the 2 20GB units to stream netflix and for my kids to play disney games on and the 60GB is used for me to play on. The only issue is that when ANY of the 3 are on Live (they all have seperate gold subscriptions) then the other 2 will not log in to Live.. This is a bit frustrating. For example if I log into Live to stream netflix in the living room (which my kids do regularly thruout the day) when I get home and turn on my 360 it will not connect to Live (gives me an error saying Live is unavailable). If I go turn the one in the Living room off and wait about 5 minutes (or reboot the router) then the one in my theatre room works fine but the living room one doesn't connect (or the one upstairs either) I can connect just fine with any of the 3 just as long as the other 2 are not on and connected. If they are on and not signed in to Live then it doesn't seem to matter. Any ideas on what the heck the issue is? This is frustrating me rather badly as I really want to stop having to go thru the house turning things off and/or rebooting my router constantly. Everything else works splendidly. All the HTPCs, The HD DVD players, the BD players, PS3 etc all work fine just cant log into Live but on one at the time. As I said they all have seperate accounts (they aren't subaccounts they all have specific Gold accounts). Any help on this would be great.
Ouch! That must really suck. Perhaps you should call microsoft?