Duke Nukem Maker 3D Realms Shut Down - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-06-2009, 10:11 PM

Default Duke Nukem Maker 3D Realms Shut Down

Assuming the rumors are true, it's a sad day for fans of the first-person shooter genre and videogames alike. Both Shacknews and The Escapist are reporting that sources have told them that the mighty game developer 3D Realms (formerly Apogee Software) -- best known as the company behind Commander Keen, Wolfenstein 3D, and Duke Nukem 3D -- has shut down. This news comes just a day after 3D Realms celebrated the 17 year anniversary of Wolfenstein 3D's release.
It's currently unknown what impact this will have on the ongoing development of been-in-development-forever Duke Nukem Forever. Many figured the game would never see the light of day even with 3D Realms open, given that the game was first announced in April 1997 and had only seen minimal exposure to the public over the years, with its most frequent appearances being on annual vaporware lists.

We're waiting to hear an official announcement about the status of the company. It's depressing to think that the company that was responsible for so many games I played during my childhood (going back as far as things like Crystal Caves) might be gone for good. Former 1UP news editor Patrick Klepek pointed out on Twitter that 3D Realms' website still has a listing for a level designer, which leaves me with a shred of hope -- however small it might be -- that this is a stunt to get people talking about Duke Nukem Forever.

In all of this, one thing has been confirmed to us: Duke Nukem Trilogy, a platformer for PSP and DS in development at Apogee Software -- a separate entity that was formed last year -- is still in development.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3174096
Old 05-06-2009, 10:20 PM

No, could it possible be the end of kicking ass and chewing bubble gum.

Oh well, i dont have time to play with myself.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:18 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZf64NfQATM

Never gets old....SUCK IT DOWNNNN
Old 05-07-2009, 09:59 AM

i chuckled a little over the concern over the status of duke forever... that said, it's sad that such a good studio is down and out apparently.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:04 AM

I dont know.......when it takes you 12 years to write a game I can kind of see why you would go out of buisiness.....

As a none programmer I'm pretty sure I could have taken a few night courses, learnt to program, written the game in my free time and still had it finished in less than 12 years.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:24 AM

Yeah, they clearly developed some serious bad management issues... I'm sorry but at a certain point who cares whether Duke 3D has the baddest graphics at launch or not... At some point it just needs to launch period. If they really wanted the game to be the best graphically at launch (which was at least in part the issue given how many times they switched engines) they should have opted not to use someone elses engine and just write their own. I hate to sound like a dick, but with that kind of management they do sort of deserve it. Someone there needed to be fired and wasn't.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:27 AM

I wonder if Sony & MS are looking to buy the IP and actually finish the game.

Just don't give it to Dyack!
Old 05-07-2009, 11:42 AM

I'd kind of like to see ID get the IP if anyone is going to get it.... They could probably get the game finished with the Rage engine pretty quickly.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS1138 View Post
I dont know.......when it takes you 12 years to write a game I can kind of see why you would go out of buisiness.....

As a none programmer I'm pretty sure I could have taken a few night courses, learnt to program, written the game in my free time and still had it finished in less than 12 years.
Yeah except game creation takes far more disciplines then just a programmer if you're going for something of that level.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:41 PM

What the Carmack?