inFAMOUS Impressions - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-05-2009, 09:58 AM

Default inFAMOUS Impressions

So I am putting these in their own thread here because its really separate from the part about getting the free games. The original stuff is here:

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/game...one-2-a-2.html

Adam and I will put our impressions of inFamous in here, since it seems as if other games have impressions threads such as this. I'm hoping to be able to play it again tonight and I am sure he is playing it today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftoverchinese View Post
Here are my initial thoughts. I just put the game in and it took almost no time to install. I would have thought it would take forever considering the 1729MB HDD space it recommends on the back. I am just learning the controls, but the inverse left and right look is going to take some getting used to. You move the joystick to the left and you look right. Maybe there is a way to change that or a reason for it later in the game, but it is difficult to deal with as of right now. Maybe I'll think differently after more than 10 seconds of play.

I'll comment back later.
Quote:
Sweet, I found the way to change the inverted look controls.

It does support trophies because I just got the first one called "good eats." So, for you trophy hounds out there, it does have them. It is one player only, though. No multiplayer or online.

It seems like a cross between spider man, bioshock with the cut scenes from twisted metal. He can climb on seemingly everything. There is also an auto jump if you bounce on an object which has killed me once, lol. So I guess it isn't perfect. None the less, I am enjoying it more than I thought I would thus far after seeing the preview. It was a little difficult having a shootout with that inverse look, but I have that straightened out now, so it should be pretty easy now.

You have an over weight friend that provides comic relief and you have to make decisions that effect your karma either good or bad.

I assume that collecting good karma is the way to go since that was advantageous in bioshock.
Quote:
Ok, depending on whether you aim for good or bad karma depends on what weapons and abilities you can unlock and use. It is much like Jedi and Syth. As you defeat enemies you get experience points which you can use to unlock better powers.

At any rate, much like GTA, there are different things to collect throughout the city. There are charged fragments from the explosion that you can collect to increase you battery holding and there are satellite dishes that give you cell phone clips from someone which gives you snippets of the story.

At this point in time I seem to be working with the aid of an FBI agent who calls me on the phone and directs me as to what to do next. There are also side missions to help civilians, much like the side missions from GTA IV, you get abilities unlocked by completing them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeadFL View Post
I just got a chance to play this (he brought it over) and my impression so far is that its a lot of fun to play. Its also pretty to look at.

The climbing is a lot like Assassins Creed... it makes it easy... theres not really any jumping puzzles. It kind of makes sure you end up in the right spot. Plus, you can jump from any arbitrary height and it does no damage. You can also grab onto things during a fall, which can be useful...

The combat I think is way better than the GTA4 combat system (L1 free aim, R1 fire (or modifiers)). The overall world and map system has a GTA4-like feel. Its story missions and side missions, and you have a cell phone which essentially works similar to the GTA4 cell phone although only for incoming calls. Initially story missions are working towards essentially finding information or tracking people down.

The side missions involve any number of things, like trailing someone without being detected (like Act3 of MGS4, although not as annoying), or taking out a group of enemies, or going and tracking down a bunch of waypoints and doing something with them. These side missions 'free' portions of the city from the enemies control. This is nice because initially the entire city is under enemy control and they snipe you and shoot at you all over the damn place. You can stand and fight or try to run and gun, but theres so many I always ended up just running to get from A to B. Once you free portions of the city, it becomes easier to move around.

Some of the side missions can't be completed depending on whether you are good or bad, though. My playthrough I was 'good', so I was blocked from some of the bad guy missions.

You seem to have basically unlimited lives, it just restarts you a little further back from where you started. From what I've played so far, its not overly difficult. Theres definitely some strategic planning involved in how you have to make your attacks, because you need to stay near a power source in order to regain life. You can also sap life from downed enemies or non-combatants if you choose, although this takes away karma.

My only criticism so far is that the story missions seem to have cutscenes at what could be interesting moments. Often you won't see an event, just the cutscenes. The cutscenes are anime-like, kind of like some of the non in-game ones in MGS4. They are interesting, but often involve critical plot points and involve significant shifts forward in time.
Quote:
Well, I did a google search and it seems a trophy list is already up. However, it is missing some trophies.

http://goonlinegames.net/2009/04/28/...y-list-leaked/

That is the list that is already available. That isn't complete though. There is a platinum trophy for fully completing the game and there are also 4 hidden trophies. I only have 3 so far, so I guess I have a long way to go, lol. There are different trophies for completing levels in either a good fashion or an evil one, so I guess the only way to do that is to play through it twice. None the less, it is a pretty cool game thus far.
More impressions to follow...
Old 05-05-2009, 01:11 PM

It is reminding me more and more of GTAIV with its side missions and some of the trophy challenges. The side missions seem to be meeting people more often than not. However, if a villain shoots the person that you are trying to meet or you inadvertently hurt them then you can no longer do that mission.

I got a new ability today which lets me essentially skate on long conductive wires that connect buildings and also on the train rails throughout the city. There are a few trophies associated with that skill. One is riding the train for 2 kilometers which was easy, the other was to ride the rail for 25 kilometers which I haven't quite completed yet. The problem is that there are now trains on the rail and if you happen to meet one head on you go flying quite spectacularly. This new ability also makes navigating the city much easier and faster.

I have also found that moving up in my skill set seems to be only truly possible by completing missions. You get experience points in other ways, like helping sick people, but that takes forever. I even went as far as to stand near some construction sites where people commonly trip. If you get to them before they stand up by themselves then you can heal them which is a very simple way to get some good karma.

I have found a mission or two where it would be beneficial to take the evil path. There is a poison that has mind altering psychedelic and hallucinogenic effects. It also lowers your battery life for the duration of its control over you making it more difficult to complete your task or to fight enemies. Well, you have an opportunity to make an innocent bystander get into harms way for you. This wasn't the path that I chose to take, but it was a costly one none the less.

None the less, I'm having fun. I must be enjoying it more than I thought because I haven't stopped to play killzone 2 yet. I'm 4 trophies in thus far and I'll update you guys later.

Spoiler
I get the feeling that I am going to be betrayed by either the FBI agent who is helping me at present or the guy that is my best friend in the story. Neither one seems to fully trust me since I have acquired these powers and the best friend doesn't seem to like that I am cleaning up the city. Since I am returning power to the city it is hurting his business selling home made batteries and he is also jealous that he isn't getting any recognition. I'll let try and keep you abreast as to what happens
Old 05-05-2009, 01:19 PM

One of the other things which I forgot to mention was that the experience points can be used to purchase upgrades to your abilities. (i.e. Stronger lightning bolt, stronger electrical blast, take less damage) Some of these things seem to have two paths... following the 'good guy' path allows you to successively upgrade them one way, and the 'bad guy' path is a different set of upgrades.

As you become more good or more bad you 'level up' in terms of 'karmic rank' or whatever they call it. You become Heroic, or Legendary, or whatever. Generally these upgrades require a certain rank and XP cost.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:23 PM
HDD Contributor

This really is starting to sound more and more like "Electro Jr. Goes To Liberty City."
Old 05-05-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
This really is starting to sound more and more like "Electro Jr. Goes To Liberty City."
LOL, the name of the city is Empire City. Maybe they are paying homage to GTAIV with that name as it seems to be in the same vain as liberty city.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:35 PM

A lot of the city visually kind of reminds me of the Broker area in GTAIV. Its quite detailed and often really cool to look at. Especially the 'under the train tracks' area. I don't know if its inspired by GTAIV or by New York in general, but its similar.

Also, the graphics are about on par with GTAIV or maybe a bit better or a bit worse in places. For instance, looking out over the water is very GTAIV-like... there is a pattern that unfortunately repeats a bit too much. But also the effects and abilities that your character uses are absolutely beautiful. The lighting is also a bit more natural looking, I think.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:34 PM

Yeah, I agree about the similarities with GTAIV.

I just had a karmic shift where I went down a level because I jumped off a building and power landed on some civilians. I get the feeling it would be easier to level up going the evil route than it is the good one. Unless the game just makes it easiest to go to 0, which is entirely possible.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:59 PM

The more I play this the more it seems a little like resident evil as well. I also got my first hidden trophy.

Spoiler
The first villain in the game seems to be a former girlfriend of the hero. She also has some sort of ability given to her from the initial blast. Only, she has turned evil and dwells in some sort of a swamp in a collapsed tunnel.

Be certain to take care of EVERYTHING in the first zone as you cannot go back once you go into the tunnel. Don't make my same mistake. I neglected to collect all of the satellite dishes while I was over there and it looks like that will have to wait till later. He mentioned something about finding a way back, so I assume later I'll be able to travel between the islands. So, heed my warning and finish up everything before you enter the tunnel.

The first hidden trophy is a silver trophy for defeating Sasha, who, as I mentioned before, is your former girl friend. I also received a silver trophy for completing all of the side events in the Neon district.

I am now in the Warren district. The enemies do not look the same as they did before and they blend into the background a little better. The first ones were red so they stuck out like a sore thumb. These guys are gray.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:21 PM

Clairification:

Spoiler
a way did open up to go back to the previous island. It came in the way of a bridge that required you to protect some engineers while they repair the bridge. Does anyone remember goldeneye on N64??? LOL. So I managed to go back and find the one sat dish that I missed to get my trophy for "just scratching the surface."

Also, the new bad guys are called dustmen and the previous ones are called reapers. The dustmen are sometimes gray and sometimes army green. Still, not as easy to spot as the red ones.

Also, all the trophies look the same. Why is it that some games, like pixel junk monsters, have a different picture for all of their trophies and other games do not? These are all bronze plaques with a lightning bolt through them and the silver ones look blue and are round with two lightning bolts crisscrossing.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:57 PM

I guess this is the place to post this. If you pre-ordered the game, the demo can be downloaded now. Not sure if it went up today or what, but it's working for me now. Obviously I won't be able to post anywhere near as in depth as you other two, but I will post my own tomorrow night after my finals when I actually have a chance to play.

I really hope I like the demo, so I can justify buying the game to get the Uncharted 2 Beta!