Fat Princess Beta Impressions - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-25-2009, 02:40 AM

Default Fat Princess Beta Impressions

I was invited into the Fat Princess Beta and have been given the all clear to share some impressions, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to do so. I'll try and section this off as best I can, so that you guys can get a good idea of what the game is about and what this beta build is playing like.

I typed out this entire thing myself and all the thoughts below are mine. Please feel free to ask questions. I typed everything below so that people can get a good grasp of what the game is like.

Impressions
I'll talk loosely here about the gameplay and its mechanics. If you want to understand something more clearly, please read the sections below.

Graphically, this game is REALLY well done. It is cartoonish in look, with a HINT of cell shading. The art is really colorful and very beautiful. Having said that, it is awesome how well done the blood spattering animations in this game are. It took me completely by surprise that a game so "cute" when you first see it, can turn so bloody and gory when arrows start flying and swords start swinging (Watch the beginning of this video to see what I mean). Puddles of blood pour out of people and when massacres occur, there is much evidence left behind.

The controls are really easy to get the hang of and are very simplistic. It was kinda confusing at first what exactly was going on with building and hats, etc. But like any game, a quick look at the controls menu will tell you everything you need to know.

The lock on system allows you to lock onto an enemy that you are facing so that you can pound them with arrows or slice them with a sword. Locking on also makes it easier to chop down trees and heal teammates who are low on life.

Moving your character around itself is pretty loose but feels perfect. The character have a sort of loony run animation, so it all feels just right.

This brings me to one of the highlights of the game. The humor!

"They're in our base, killing our dudes!" is just one of the hilarious things that this game has in its dialogue. That line is made especially awesome because of its StarCraft roots (Here, I'll save you from having to Google for it). There is so much humor thrown around here from turning enemies into chickens to the actual feeding of cake to make the princess fat (and boy can she get large). Hearing the princess say "I'm Hungry!" is something you'll have in your head for a while. It is awesome seeing the homages to other video games. My personal favorite is the bot that is named "Solid Cake," and his arch nemesis on the other team "Liquid Cake." Though some names are fairly boring (Lancealot, Troy), there are some truly creative gems that are just interesting tidbits.

Humor surrounds this game, even in the main menu, where you have to choose to either "Play With Others" or "Play With Yourself." To see your stats and multiplayer scoring, you choose the "Bragging Rights" menu option and you can change the games video, audio, and controller settings by using the "Twiddly Knobs" menu option. There is even a "Get Fabulous" menu, which lets you customize the look of your character. Browsing the games statistics hint that there will be lots of bears, hair, eyes, skin tones, and costumes to unlock.

The gameplay itself is really fun and generally very fast paced. The map that is currently available in the beta is sized perfectly, even for the games 32 player online multiplayer. You can play 32 player single player offline, also, wherein the game is filled with bots. When you are playing online, if there are not 32 humans playing, the empty spots are filled by brave bots.

The game is pretty balanced. Each class has its primary function and it does it well, but if you try to storm the castle as a priest... by yourself... it just ain't happening. You are better off going on a solo mission as a warrior, but going it alone as a warrior has its pitfalls too, because warriors carry the princess slower than any other class. The upside to this is the fact that the warrior also has the most life. You'll have to decide what class you like the most.

Overall this seems like it is going to be a hit when it hits the PSN this summer. Judging by what is here, and what I can assume will be there in the future, I would say this game will likely sell for between $10 and $15 USD.

If you have questions, please ask and I'll answer. Otherwise, continue reading this post, I have typed out a bunch of the games features and mechanics below.

You can see some gameplay in HD here:
http://www.platformnation.com/2009/0...meplay-videos/

Those are not my videos, but they do show a good chunk of gameplay and they are great quality.

Overview

In case you haven't heard of the game, Fat Princess is at it's core a CTF style game... except the F in this stands for "Fat Princess." Red and Blue square off, once again, except this time in a medievil time game where you are the royal court/army. There are multiple classes to select from, all of which are chosen by what kind of "hat" you pickup at your castle. Please read the classes section for more info about this.

Though the Beta also features a Team Death Match game type, the featured game type here is "Save the Princess," wherein you and your army attempt to capture your respectively colored princess from the enemy castle. You start out with the princess of your enemy, and vice versa. Your mission is to safely return your respectively colored princess to her throne, while also imprisoning the enemy princess. When you have both princesses in your castle and in their places, a timer begins countdown to end the game. If the enemy can recapture their princess or capture yours, then the timer will stop until the requirements are met again.

The game is called fat princess because you can make the enemies life harder by feeding the princess cake while she is sitting in the dungeon. Feeding her cake makes her fatter, subsequently making her harder to carry as well. She loses weight over time if she is not fed cake. Joining the princess carrier in a pack makes carry the princess easier. Bigger packs carry the princess faster.

Team death match is a pretty straightforward game type. You kill the other team and every kill brings down the other teams remaining life count. When either team reaches zero, the game ends.

At this time, there are no other matches available, but the game has indications of "Invasion" (Capture and Hold).

Controls

The controls are VERY simple. They are:

Square:
  • Attack
  • Chop Wood, Throw Bombs (Worker Class Only)
  • Build (Worker Class Only)

Triangle: Switch Between Primary and Secondary Abilities

Circle:
  • Grab Items/Resources (Including Princess)
  • Join / Unjoin Pack (While Teammate Is Carrying Princess. Bigger Packs Carry the Princess Faster Than a Person By Themself)

X: Jump

L2: Zoom

R2: Push to Talk (Mic)

L1: Lock On to Objects (Enemies, Teammates for Healing, Buildings, Trees, Rocks)

R1: Strafe

Select: Brings Up Map Showing Everyone's Position, Location of Princesses, Captured Towers

Start: Players Scores

Classes

When you spawn, you get to choose from a number of different hats that are available from different hat factories. These hat factories dispense hats for your team to pick up. Each hat has its own machine and each hat is also representative of a different class type. Each class has 2 levels, which are made available when the hat factories are upgraded. Hat factories are upgraded individually and pretty much as quickly as your team gains the resources for the upgrade. (More info about resources, upgrading, and building in the next section)

Additionally, you can pick up the hat of a fallen comrade or enemy, which makes for interesting runs because if you are a priest and your warrior goes down, then you may want to pick up his hat to fend for yourself.

The game currently features 6 classes:

Standard Hatless Villager
  • 2 Life Bubbles
  • Fastest of All Classes
  • Primary Ability: Slap / Punch
  • Secondary Ability: None
Ranger
  • 5 Life Bubbles
  • Primary Ability: Shoot Arrows (Holding Down Square Shoots 1 Powerful Arrow)
  • Secondary Ability: Buckshot Shotgun (Holding Down Square Spreads the Buckshot Wider and is More Powerful)
Mage
  • 4 Life Bubbles
  • Primary Ability: Fire Bolt (Holding Square Charges Up AOE Fire Attack)
  • Secondary Ability: Ice Bolts (Holding Square Charges AOE Ice Attack That Freezes Enemies
Priest
  • 4 Life Bubbles
  • Can Thwack People w/ Staff
  • Primary Ability: Light Priest - Healing (Holding Square Charges AOE Heal)
  • Secondary Ability: Shadow Priest - Life Drain (Holding Square Charges AOE Stun)
Warrior
  • 6 Life Bubbles
  • Can Block Projectiles With Shield (While Holding R1 and Only If Shield Is Equipped)
  • Primary Ability: Sword and Buckler Attacks (Holding Square Charges Spin Attack)
  • Secondary Ability: Two Handed Weapon Attack (Holding Square Charges A Charge and Slice Attack)
Worker
  • 4 Life Bubbles
  • Upgrades Buildings, Chops Wood, Breaks Stones
  • Primary Ability: Wood Chop / Axe Attack (Holding Square Charges A Spin Chop)
  • Secondary Ability: Bombs / Stone Breaking (Holding Square Cooks It)

Gameplay Mechanics
  • Workers chop woods and break stones, which give the team resources to upgrade hat machines, build catapults, ladders, springboards, and a few other objects.
  • Upgrading the Ranger class lights torches around the castle. Touching these with an arrow gives the ranger fire arrows.
  • Upgrading the Mage class gives the team the ability to use a potion on the enemy. Potions temporarily turn people in the area (despite team) into chickens and give them only 1 heart bubble of life.
  • You capture towers by standing next to them.
  • Can only get inside enemy castle with siege objects (ladders, springboard, catapult) or by breaking down the castle gates, which can be done by attacking the gates, causing them to wear down and break. Workers can repair seige objects, castle gates, and the well inside the dungeon of "Black Forest" map.

Maps
There is currently only 1 map available in the beta. It is called "Black Forest." There is a castle on either side with a lake in the center. You can run through the lake, but running through a deep part can result in you drowning if you run out of life bubbles. Running through the water makes you slower (obviously).

Each castle has a well that can be broken, which opens up a water vortex that takes you outside. This can be used for quickly getting the princess out.

----------

Thanks for reading! Sorry for the length, but I like to be thorough. If you have questions, feel free to ask.

To avoid a mess, please do not directly quote my entire post. If you need to highlight something, only quote the specific portion you are asking about, thanks!

If there is something I forgot, I will add it as I remember and make a post to note the changes.

Last edited by fireb0x; 04-25-2009 at 03:09 AM.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:12 AM

Excellent post. Lots of details. Thanks for taking the time to do this. I know you were planning on posting impressions, but I hope you didn't feel compelled to do it tonight just because I asked for your thoughts. I noticed you were playing this when I got on PSN at around 11:30pm and it's now 3:08am and you haven't stopped yet. So, I'd hate to have interrupted your fun.

Anyways, with the huge caveat that this game is still a Beta, do you have any concerns about it? Also, are players leaning toward any specific class right now as the favorite or are people enjoying all of them?

Thanks again.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow1019 View Post
Anyways, with the huge caveat that this game is still a Beta, do you have any concerns about it? Also, are players leaning toward any specific class right now as the favorite or are people enjoying all of them?
So far, my favorite class is probably the light priest. I say that because it is a ton of fun charging into a castle with a few warriors and mages and casting heals that get to them JUST in the nick of time. Its kinda cool because there is a moment where you are charging up steps and there is resistance but everyone knows that as soon as the priest goes down, stuff is gonna get hairy.

For the most part, everybody enjoys all classes it seems. At the beginning of the game, there is lotsa workers because the team is building up resources and upgrading buildings, etc.

Another cool thing to do is capturing a tower near the enemy castle and using the ranger to pick off dudes who are fighting on the outside.

I'd like to see the option to choose between starting off with the princesses already fat and trying to keep them fat, rather than them starting skinny and making them fat. I wonder how that might change the dynamic of the game.

At this point, there isn't anything that concerns me that I can't chalk up to it being in beta. This includes the fact that currently, when creating a game, you cannot specify a game time limit, and you cannot modify the amount of time you have to keep both princesses in your castle to win. Currently the game time is unlimited and the amount of time to win is about 15 or 20 seconds. I think these are optimal settings for beta though.

There is some issues with objects getting stuck or the princess getting caught behind a wall, or princess not registering as captured. But all these things are minor bugs that the devs have already said are being fixed in the beta forums.

By the way, no need to feel bad. I had already typed some stuff into word last week in preparation for this. I posted cuz I felt compelled to, though I was encouraged by the interest people were taking.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:41 AM

thanks for posting all this information. i was a little bit interested in this game but i wasnt sure how it worked and didnt think about searching up the stuff. This looks like me type of game and i think ive been waiting for a game like this for awhile. the humor looks really funny in this one too. imma still wait for the rating and reviews but i think im getting this one.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:35 PM

I got into the Beta, but gave away my code on the GAF. I've got finals this and next week, so no sense in me wasting a code, right?
Old 04-25-2009, 01:20 PM

Wow, thanks for the awesome post. I'm really looking forward to this one. Any idea if there is a party system? Sorry if I missed it.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerGuy View Post
Wow, thanks for the awesome post. I'm really looking forward to this one. Any idea if there is a party system? Sorry if I missed it.
I have not had the chance to test the party system because I haven't had any friends who have the Beta on.

What I DO know, is that when creating a game, you can reserve "Friend Slots," which I would assume allow you to hold spots in the game for your friends. There is functionality to "Invite a Friend" and "Join a Friend" though, which is a good sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeofTheImmortal
I got into the Beta, but gave away my code on the GAF. I've got finals this and next week, so no sense in me wasting a code, right?
The online is supposed to last at least till the end of the month. The single player, which is still great because of the smart AI, can be played till whenever I would imagine.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:56 PM

Well, Let's just say that if I had the beta, I'd do none of m studying.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeofTheImmortal View Post
Well, Let's just say that if I had the beta, I'd do none of m studying.
Yeah. I have finals, but I've been real tired lately and haven't been staying up to play games. Once finals are done though, I will likely be back in it more often.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:03 PM

i found this 17 minute preview on giantbomb

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-...incess/17-478/