Anyone notice you can't switch to XBL Silver on console? - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-18-2009, 10:37 AM
crazzeto's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14,885
Default Anyone notice you can't switch to XBL Silver on console?

Anyone notice that you can't switch from XBL Gold to Silver any more on the console or on the MS XBL website? You have to call them, and the process isn't easy either... They demand as much information from you as they possibly could, seriously. I'm still trying to switch to my account, I'm getting the idea that they're going to require met to send a vial of blood to finish the process... You can never be too careful with security I guess, and obviously being able to play games online is the most important thing in the world. More critical and demanding more security than moving money around in your bank accounts or something...

So, if you want to go from gold to silver you will need all of the following information on the phone:

Gamer Tag
Ph# associated with gamer tag
email assocated with gamer tag
Full home address associated with gamer tag, down to zip code
last 4 digits of the CC used to pay your monthly renewal....

Seriously!!! Why can't I just switch it on account management any more??????
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-18-2009, 10:38 AM
intheend's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 901
Default

why would you want to go back to silver? just let it run out or make a new account.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-18-2009, 10:39 AM
crazzeto's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14,885
Default

I don't think you understand, it's an automatic monthly renewal... It never runs out as long as the CC is good! I just didn't want to continue paying for something I hardly ever use.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-18-2009, 11:05 AM
intheend's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 901
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
I don't think you understand, it's an automatic monthly renewal... It never runs out as long as the CC is good! I just didn't want to continue paying for something I hardly ever use.
Oh well that sucks. I used my credit card to make a renewal but I took off automatic renewal on xbox.com, don't know why its so hard for you.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-18-2009, 03:34 PM
ElwoodJD's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 648
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
Anyone notice that you can't switch from XBL Gold to Silver any more on the console or on the MS XBL website? You have to call them, and the process isn't easy either... They demand as much information from you as they possibly could, seriously. I'm still trying to switch to my account, I'm getting the idea that they're going to require met to send a vial of blood to finish the process... You can never be too careful with security I guess, and obviously being able to play games online is the most important thing in the world. More critical and demanding more security than moving money around in your bank accounts or something...

So, if you want to go from gold to silver you will need all of the following information on the phone:

Gamer Tag
Ph# associated with gamer tag
email assocated with gamer tag
Full home address associated with gamer tag, down to zip code
last 4 digits of the CC used to pay your monthly renewal....

Seriously!!! Why can't I just switch it on account management any more??????
Having to make a phone call to cancel a subscription is hardly smackdown imo...also, if they didn't make you have all that information to make changes to your account, you'd probably be complaining that XBL security isn't tight enough...we've all heard account hijacking horror stories.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-18-2009, 05:08 PM
onavarr8's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,699
Default

Dude monthly renewal is more expensive than yearly. Isnt it like 7.99 per month?

IF you do the math thats almost $100 a year when the 1 year is only what....$49.99 now.

My friend had the exact same thing setup but hes gonna change to 1 year subscriptions.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-18-2009, 05:22 PM
murphjp's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by onavarr8 View Post
Dude monthly renewal is more expensive than yearly. Isnt it like 7.99 per month?

IF you do the math thats almost $100 a year when the 1 year is only what....$49.99 now.

My friend had the exact same thing setup but hes gonna change to 1 year subscriptions.
If you rarly play games online, but wanted to play gears 2 for a few month's then monthly would be the way to go. When I get bored of KZ2 online I probably won't be playing another game online untill the fall. Although if sony charged me to play online I probably wouldn't, unless it was heavaly supported, like MMO's.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-18-2009, 07:20 PM
crazzeto's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14,885
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwoodJD View Post
Having to make a phone call to cancel a subscription is hardly smackdown imo...also, if they didn't make you have all that information to make changes to your account, you'd probably be complaining that XBL security isn't tight enough...we've all heard account hijacking horror stories.
This isn't SD, it's fustration... And I'm sorry but not allowing someone to change from gold to silver at will really doesn't or certainly should not pose a great security risk.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 484
Default

Can't you take your CC off XBL from a website now?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-18-2009, 08:24 PM
TripleHBK's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
I don't think you understand, it's an automatic monthly renewal... It never runs out as long as the CC is good! I just didn't want to continue paying for something I hardly ever use.
Here's an easy way to fix this...

Go buy a 3 month XBL Card. About 1 or 2 weeks prior to your current month running out input the new info. This new card will replace cc renewal method and in your account management section it will list "XBL 3 Month Subscription card". I did this after my first year on XBL because I had bought the vision camera bundle for my 2nd year and used that subscription card. Since then I've always been able to find yearly deals on XBL memberships and have bought the cards and haven't ever had to worry about an automatic renewal.

On a related yet different note... why didnt you just take adavantage of the Amazon/Shopko/Target/Bestbuy/ EVERYWHERE deal that ran for like 3 months earlier this year where for $30 you could get a year subscription? Paying 7.99 a month is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone else notice 3 weeks till i robot comes out can't preorder anywhere? docmanjay2 Blu-ray Software General Discussion 0 10-17-2007 09:23 AM
Did anyone notice on Dawn of the Dead? M. Bison HD DVD Software General Discussion 14 09-02-2007 09:47 PM
Can't really notice vampireleah General Discussion: Both Formats 2 08-22-2007 03:09 AM
Anyone notice alot of noise on their HD DVD movies? messin18 HD DVD Software General Discussion 18 05-26-2007 08:28 PM
Did anyone else notice.... Dwellon High Definition Smackdown 43 02-14-2007 10:06 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off