Anyone notice you can't switch to XBL Silver on console? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-18-2009, 10:37 AM

Default Anyone notice you can't switch to XBL Silver on console?

Anyone notice that you can't switch from XBL Gold to Silver any more on the console or on the MS XBL website? You have to call them, and the process isn't easy either... They demand as much information from you as they possibly could, seriously. I'm still trying to switch to my account, I'm getting the idea that they're going to require met to send a vial of blood to finish the process... You can never be too careful with security I guess, and obviously being able to play games online is the most important thing in the world. More critical and demanding more security than moving money around in your bank accounts or something...

So, if you want to go from gold to silver you will need all of the following information on the phone:

Gamer Tag
Ph# associated with gamer tag
email assocated with gamer tag
Full home address associated with gamer tag, down to zip code
last 4 digits of the CC used to pay your monthly renewal....

Seriously!!! Why can't I just switch it on account management any more??????
Old 04-18-2009, 10:38 AM

why would you want to go back to silver? just let it run out or make a new account.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:39 AM

I don't think you understand, it's an automatic monthly renewal... It never runs out as long as the CC is good! I just didn't want to continue paying for something I hardly ever use.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
I don't think you understand, it's an automatic monthly renewal... It never runs out as long as the CC is good! I just didn't want to continue paying for something I hardly ever use.
Oh well that sucks. I used my credit card to make a renewal but I took off automatic renewal on xbox.com, don't know why its so hard for you.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Anyone notice that you can't switch from XBL Gold to Silver any more on the console or on the MS XBL website? You have to call them, and the process isn't easy either... They demand as much information from you as they possibly could, seriously. I'm still trying to switch to my account, I'm getting the idea that they're going to require met to send a vial of blood to finish the process... You can never be too careful with security I guess, and obviously being able to play games online is the most important thing in the world. More critical and demanding more security than moving money around in your bank accounts or something...

So, if you want to go from gold to silver you will need all of the following information on the phone:

Gamer Tag
Ph# associated with gamer tag
email assocated with gamer tag
Full home address associated with gamer tag, down to zip code
last 4 digits of the CC used to pay your monthly renewal....

Seriously!!! Why can't I just switch it on account management any more??????
Having to make a phone call to cancel a subscription is hardly smackdown imo...also, if they didn't make you have all that information to make changes to your account, you'd probably be complaining that XBL security isn't tight enough...we've all heard account hijacking horror stories.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:08 PM

Dude monthly renewal is more expensive than yearly. Isnt it like 7.99 per month?

IF you do the math thats almost $100 a year when the 1 year is only what....$49.99 now.

My friend had the exact same thing setup but hes gonna change to 1 year subscriptions.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onavarr8 View Post
Dude monthly renewal is more expensive than yearly. Isnt it like 7.99 per month?

IF you do the math thats almost $100 a year when the 1 year is only what....$49.99 now.

My friend had the exact same thing setup but hes gonna change to 1 year subscriptions.
If you rarly play games online, but wanted to play gears 2 for a few month's then monthly would be the way to go. When I get bored of KZ2 online I probably won't be playing another game online untill the fall. Although if sony charged me to play online I probably wouldn't, unless it was heavaly supported, like MMO's.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwoodJD View Post
Having to make a phone call to cancel a subscription is hardly smackdown imo...also, if they didn't make you have all that information to make changes to your account, you'd probably be complaining that XBL security isn't tight enough...we've all heard account hijacking horror stories.
This isn't SD, it's fustration... And I'm sorry but not allowing someone to change from gold to silver at will really doesn't or certainly should not pose a great security risk.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:22 PM

Can't you take your CC off XBL from a website now?
Old 04-18-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Here's an easy way to fix this...

Go buy a 3 month XBL Card. About 1 or 2 weeks prior to your current month running out input the new info. This new card will replace cc renewal method and in your account management section it will list "XBL 3 Month Subscription card". I did this after my first year on XBL because I had bought the vision camera bundle for my 2nd year and used that subscription card. Since then I've always been able to find yearly deals on XBL memberships and have bought the cards and haven't ever had to worry about an automatic renewal.

On a related yet different note... why didnt you just take adavantage of the Amazon/Shopko/Target/Bestbuy/ EVERYWHERE deal that ran for like 3 months earlier this year where for $30 you could get a year subscription? Paying 7.99 a month is ridiculous.