How can I back up my saves from my PS3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-18-2009, 07:40 AM

Default How can I back up my saves from my PS3

I have a feeling that my PS3 HD is giving up the ghost soon, been acting weird since the last system update and a couple of days ago the database had to be rebuilt. After that I can't quit games using the PS button.
After looking for some information online it seems that it is an indicator of a HD crash so I wanted to back up my game saves and stuff like that. But there is copy protection on the saves so that makes me wonder if I have to remove the HD and connect it to my computer.
What's the best way to do it?

It's a 60 GB launch model.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarez View Post
I have a feeling that my PS3 HD is giving up the ghost soon, been acting weird since the last system update and a couple of days ago the database had to be rebuilt. After that I can't quit games using the PS button.
After looking for some information online it seems that it is an indicator of a HD crash so I wanted to back up my game saves and stuff like that. But there is copy protection on the saves so that makes me wonder if I have to remove the HD and connect it to my computer.
What's the best way to do it?

It's a 60 GB launch model.
You can simply copy your saves to a USB stick. I'm not sure if you need to use the back-up utility for that or not.

A better way is to back-up your entire hard drive contents to an external HDD and then replace your hard drive with a new one since you 're convinced that it's about to die. The process is very easy (you simply have to unscrew five screws, swap the drive, screw them back) and then you simply restore your stuff from the external HDD. That way you solve the problem without having to deal with Sony's service at all.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:06 AM

to copy saves you just need to use a usb stick and push triangle and it'll give you the option to do so

the backup utility copies everything over completely so when you load it up onto a new hard drive it'll be exactly the same
Old 04-18-2009, 11:11 AM

The best thing would definitely be using the Backup Utility, but there are things to keep in mind:

You will most likely need an external hard drive for this which MUST be FAT32 formatted for the PS3 to recognize it

If you like your trophies, you MUST sync them with the server before you swap out your drive

Also, you MUST be careful with the screws. A good pair of Needlenose pliers are almost a requirement to use as a makeshift wrench as it is very likely that you'll strip at least one of the screws.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmahan52 View Post
to copy saves you just need to use a usb stick and push triangle and it'll give you the option to do so

the backup utility copies everything over completely so when you load it up onto a new hard drive it'll be exactly the same
None of the saves I have give me the option to copy. What's the point of copy protecting them anyway?

So it looks like I'll go the external route.
Thanks for the help guys.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:51 PM

Just to reiterate, games can have 3 levels of saveability:

- Copy saves as much as you want. (Triangle in Save Game utility, as stated above.)
- Copy saves as much as you want, BUT it won't work or work worse once you try to use them after a reformat or on another account. (Example: WipEout HD, LBP.)
- Cannot copy saves. Triangle thing won't work. (Example: KZ2.)

HOWEVER, all games' saves can be safely backed up by using the Backup Utility. I don't think you need a hard drive for it; a big enough memory stick should be fine. It won't need to back up all your videos and games and shit (you can redownload those).
Old 04-18-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
Just to reiterate, games can have 3 levels of saveability:

- Copy saves as much as you want. (Triangle in Save Game utility, as stated above.)
- Copy saves as much as you want, BUT it won't work or work worse once you try to use them after a reformat or on another account. (Example: WipEout HD, LBP.)
- Cannot copy saves. Triangle thing won't work. (Example: KZ2.)

HOWEVER, all games' saves can be safely backed up by using the Backup Utility. I don't think you need a hard drive for it; a big enough memory stick should be fine. It won't need to back up all your videos and games and shit (you can redownload those).
I think the Backup Utility makes you back up EVERYTHING though, because I couldn't figure out how to select which stuff I wanted backed up. So you need at least 10 gigs, is what it told me. So....an external hard drive is preferable, and Needle Nose pliers!!!!!!!!

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 04-18-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslaught X View Post
Needle Nose pliers!!!!!!!!
This is rule 1 through 6, 9, and 13 of PS3 Hard Drive Swap Club
Old 04-18-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebonz View Post
This is rule 1 through 6, 9, and 13 of PS3 Hard Drive Swap Club
The PS3 Hard Drive Swap Cool Guy Club

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club