Cross Edge (5/09) ? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-17-2009, 09:00 PM

Default Cross Edge (5/09) ?

So I just realized that this comes out in a month or so. Amazon has it for just $47. It's a huge cross over RPG that looks like Valkyrie Profile.

Anyone know anything about this really?

I think I want to get it.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:34 PM

If this is what you are talking about then yeah it should be 20 bucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUE1B_HBL0w
Old 04-21-2009, 03:07 PM

Do yourself a favor and wait for the bargain bin on this one, its just crap IMO.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:39 PM

Going to wait for some reviews. Don't know what to expect with a big crossover game like this. Pretty sure I'll end up picking it up unless the reviews are bad. Curious if there's a spoiler free reason for the hate though? I don't ever watch clips from RPGs because I'm so averse to spoilers. So all I really know is that it's a crossover game, the games it takes characters from, and that it's a turn-based RPG.

Even if I weren't averse to looking into it more, I'm surprised there's enough info to get such a definitive opinion on its quality unless you're checking Japanese sources. There's almost no info on the game in English that I know of.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStroms View Post
Going to wait for some reviews. Don't know what to expect with a big crossover game like this. Pretty sure I'll end up picking it up unless the reviews are bad. Curious if there's a spoiler free reason for the hate though? I don't ever watch clips from RPGs because I'm so averse to spoilers. So all I really know is that it's a crossover game, the games it takes characters from, and that it's a turn-based RPG.

Even if I weren't averse to looking into it more, I'm surprised there's enough info to get such a definitive opinion on its quality unless you're checking Japanese sources. There's almost no info on the game in English that I know of.
They could just be basing it on NIS's track record, which isn't that great.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godstar View Post
Disgaea on the PSP is awsome. Disgaea on the PS3 makes my eyes bleed though.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
If you're referring to NIS America's localization efforts, I'd have to agree with you, but Nippon Ichi is my #1 favorite dev studio. But wikipedia lists Nippon Ichi, Gust, Namco Bandai, Capcom, and Idea Factory all as devs for the game. I'm not sure how much each studio had to do with it. I'm hoping it was more Nippon Ichi and Gust and less Capcom, Namco Bandai, and Idea Factory, as I have very little trust in those three.

It could also end up a case of too many cooks spoiling the broth. I'm still cautiously optimistic at this point, however.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
If you're referring to NIS America's localization efforts, I'd have to agree with you, but Nippon Ichi is my #1 favorite dev studio. But wikipedia lists Nippon Ichi, Gust, Namco Bandai, Capcom, and Idea Factory all as devs for the game. I'm not sure how much each studio had to do with it. I'm hoping it was more Nippon Ichi and Gust and less Capcom, Namco Bandai, and Idea Factory, as I have very little trust in those three.

It could also end up a case of too many cooks spoiling the broth. I'm still cautiously optimistic at this point, however.
Yes, I'm talking about their localization (the last Gust game), their PS2 quality game on PS3, Disgaea 3, their overcharging of DL characters on PSN, you name it. They've done nothing but piss me off this generation.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Yes, I'm talking about their localization (the last Gust game), their PS2 quality game on PS3, Disgaea 3, their overcharging of DL characters on PSN, you name it. They've done nothing but piss me off this generation.
And despite all that, they put the Japanese language track in all their games. That alone makes up for all their faults and puts them above most other localizers such as Atlus in my book.

Disgaea 3 is still my favorite next game I've played (competing against Lost Odyssey, Oblivion, Tales of Vesperia, Ratchet and Clank, Killzone 2, Valkyria Chronicles, and Enchanted Arms.)

As for the DLC characters, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. If you buy all the character it's what? $20 or something like that? If it's something you really think you'd enjoy, $20 is not a big deal at all. And anything I'm not willing to pay a one time $20 fee for, I don't care for enough to get mad about them for charging that.

I mean it's like $6 a combo pack or something like. That's like what I'd pay for lunch around here. And I got more enjoyment out of the little skits that came with the characters than I did from lunch today.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
And despite all that, they put the Japanese language track in all their games. That alone makes up for all their faults and puts them above most other localizers such as Atlus in my book.
Um... why? For some games it's nice to get a Japanese track (or would be nice, like in Star Ocean 4) but when the voice acting is as great as it is in say, Persona 3 or Lost Odyssey (which was intended for English audiences first), it seems moot to me.

Quote:
Disgaea 3 is still my favorite next game I've played (competing against Lost Odyssey, Oblivion, Tales of Vesperia, Ratchet and Clank, Killzone 2, Valkyria Chronicles, and Enchanted Arms.)
Problem is, it's not next gen.