PS3 and it's Firmware update possibilities! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-17-2009, 12:57 PM

Default PS3 and it's Firmware update possibilities!

I keep hearing jokes about the power of the PS3's firmware updates, such as "With a firmware update the PS3 can Play HD-DVD's or PS2 games, enabling an extra core or something like that etc." Is this even possible?

What I'm asking is if it's even possible for firmware updates to do such a thing?

What can the PS3 actually achieve in this regards?

I know this is mainly speculation, but I assume you guys are more techy than I am so maybe you can shine some light on the subject for me.

Thanks
Old 04-17-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vahdyx View Post
I keep hearing jokes about the power of the PS3's firmware updates, such as "With a firmware update the PS3 can Play HD-DVD's or PS2 games, enabling an extra core or something like that etc." Is this even possible?

What I'm asking is if it's even possible for firmware updates to do such a thing?

What can the PS3 actually achieve in this regards?

I know this is mainly speculation, but I assume you guys are more techy than I am so maybe you can shine some light on the subject for me.

Thanks
Depends on the specific rumor, but HD DVD playback will be a no as I think the HD DVD format laser sits at a different distance from the disk surface than Blu-ray, and the PS3 has never had any sort of actuator in it to adjust the height of the laser on command.

As for the PS2 BC, this one should be really obvious - If they could have done full PS2 emulation on the current chipset, isn't it highly likely it would have been inculded from the beginning? That board wasn't designed overnight. It took a great deal of time and work to create. I'm willing to state right here that current non BC PS3's will never get a PS2 emulator update.

Realistically, the PS3 could do anything the 360 can do. Netflix streaming, Party chat, cross game chat, etc. It's not the end device that is holding PSN back here; it's the infrastructure and the cost associated with it. (That's why I want Sony to start charging for PSN so they can get these features on the machine.)
Old 04-17-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm082e View Post
Depends on the specific rumor, but HD DVD playback will be a no as I think the HD DVD format laser sits at a different distance from the disk surface than Blu-ray, and the PS3 has never had any sort of actuator in it to adjust the height of the laser on command.

As for the PS2 BC, this one should be really obvious - If they could have done full PS2 emulation on the current chipset, isn't it highly likely it would have been inculded from the beginning? That board wasn't designed overnight. It took a great deal of time and work to create. I'm willing to state right here that current non BC PS3's will never get a PS2 emulator update.

Realistically, the PS3 could do anything the 360 can do. Netflix streaming, Party chat, cross game chat, etc. It's not the end device that is holding PSN back here; it's the infrastructure and the cost associated with it. (That's why I want Sony to start charging for PSN so they can get these features on the machine.)
Well not to hate on the system and all, but it seems as if Sony is focused on other crap like text messaging rooms and Divx and crap like that instead of gamecentric stuff. Maybe their just focusing on other things.

What I don't understand is PS1 and PS2 games on PS Store can be played on any system so why can't a firmware update solve this issue?
Old 04-17-2009, 01:22 PM

don't knock the divx thing. I use it almost daily for shows I download.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger Danger View Post
I'm not knocking it too hard, but I usually use my laptop for this sort of thing, I rarely transfer things to my PS3 to watch it on my TV.

I did for Coupling the European version, by the way is the funniest thing on Earth, but I would rather have better invite system, a better voice chat thing etc.

I honestly would rather have BC more than all.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:28 PM

Vahdyx, I don't think there are any PS2 games on the PSN store. PS1 and PS2 are 2 different animals. I wonder about emulation though, I think there was a PS2 emulator or 2 were there not? I would expect there must be a way to make it work, but I don't know that sony care too much about this.

As for the HD-DVD, I believe that it uses a different laser, and I don't believe that you could do this - I don't see why anyone would want this either. Well, I take that back, there are likely a few who want it, but seeing as HD-DVD only sold 700K players worldwide before they pulled the plug (and maybe doubled that number with the firesales) it is certainly a small population that has any interest in HD-DVD.

There are more people in the world who paint dungeons and dragon figures.. !

I think Sony needs to work on distributed computing, and sell it to corporations. There are plenty of corps that could use the extra computing power and pay handily for this. The stanford project has shown that the PS3 is excellent at crunching numbers, many times faster than ordinary PCs, and if gamers could earn credits for downloadable games or vouchers etc, they'd jump on board heartily! Sony would sell more games, make more money from corporations and be in a great spot finacially - and THAT is one thing that the PS3 can capitalize on, that 360 can't do (to the same degree)
Old 04-17-2009, 01:29 PM

yeah i dig being able to play any video i download from the net on my ps3 so it's a good thing in my opinion
Old 04-17-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger Danger View Post
+1 to this. I know I have to be in the minority, but some of us actually have working media sharing systems set up

<rant>One thing that would be really nice would be to upgrade the MP3 player to handle variable bit rate MP3's and FLAC files. I can live without the FLAC files, but come on now: Winamp has been able to play VBR since like 1996. It can't be that hard. And don't just say "Use Constant!" V0 VBR rips can be several hundred megabytes less than 320 CBR rips depending on the album. I have 2 of the few games that actually support custom soundtracks and dammit, I'm not re-ripping my CDs just to put in my own music!</rant>
Old 04-17-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vahdyx View Post
What I don't understand is PS1 and PS2 games on PS Store can be played on any system so why can't a firmware update solve this issue?
...I think you are a bit mistaken here. PS1 games are possible through software emulation, but as far as I know, there are no PS2 games available for download on the PSN store. This is what most of us have been wanting for the last couple of years. There are a ton of PS2 games that I missed and would be all over for $10 - $15 a piece.

And yeah, even the new 40/80/160 gig machines will play PS1 disks. I haven't used this yet, but I'm planning to go back though FF7, Symphony of the Night, and Blood Omen this summer.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:33 PM

There is no reason at all why the PS3 cant emulate a PS2 using just software. Software PS2 emulation is possible on PC's for crying out load using non official software (PCSX2) so do you really think Sonys own people cant get it going on the PS3?

The idea that it would have been done from the start if it could is simply not true. It is far easier to do it with hardware than to create a fully robust piece of emulation software.