The DLC discussion - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-14-2009, 01:23 PM

Default The DLC discussion

Some support it, some are blatantly against it, some are indifferent. Let your thoughts be heard here.

I personally enjoy it when it offers something substantial. IMO, great examples of DLC are

GTA: The Lost and the Damned.
It includes a brand new story, new characters, new art, new physics, weapons, new activities and it's about 8-12 hours long in a $20 package. A great deal. This is what we used to call an "Expansion" in the PC days

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion - Shivering Isles
A whole new world with brand new art, quests, characters and equipment. Although this one was considerably pricier then GTA: L&D, it offers something substantial.

Fallout 3: The Pitt.
For $10 you get a brand new episode set in Pittsburgh with new equipment, enemies, and a brand new sense of survival far with a greater sense of urgency then the original plot conveyed. Even level 20 characters get a challenge from it.

In case you didn't get what these have in common, here it is... IT SHOWS EFFORT WAS INVOLVED. You get CONSIDERABLE value for your dollar. The funny thing is that, these games were already a considerable value at $60. They are huge and expansive worlds with plenty to do. These DLC are also about the same length as a retail game!?!

So why is it that companies like Bethesda and Rockstar give so much compared to others for no more? Why is it that some studio's think it is ethical in any form to "nickel and dime" us $5-$10 for something that is:

1) Already on the disc, and therefore in their original budget
2) Brings nothing substantial to the game, no new art, no new characters... just something that most believe should have been offered with the original content like everyone else does?
3) Their original content is about 7-9 hours in length at most.

Riddle me that Batman.

(P.S. Since I know weasl will use his extra cheese analogy, why would I pay for it when the competitor across the street gives me the extra cheese for free along with a much bigger Pizza, all for the same price?)
Old 04-14-2009, 01:29 PM

I just see bad DLC as a slap to the face of those who bought the game. Especially when it's like PoP, where they actually locked out/removed content that was in game just so you had to pay for it. Or like capcom with the locked characters you bought, but had to unlock by paying for a key to play it. That type of DLC just pisses me off and I won't get it. Maybe if it was super cheap, I might go for it, but when they want 400-600 points, that's just highway robbery. I definetly prefer the way Fable 2, GTA IV and Fallout3 did their DLC.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:32 PM

It's all about profit and they see that DLC can bring in the most. For example look at Street Fighter 4. The costume for each of the fighters were already design from the start. Like in the past street fighter games it will normaly be added from the start. In this case it was remove to sell for $4-$5 a set. In all they are able to sell Street Fighter for around $70-80 for the regular version and over $100 for the Special. They do it because we keep buying it.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:36 PM

like you said i'm all for it if it takes effort and they actually worked on it as a separate experience

you have companies like bethesda, rockstar, incognito, infinity ward/treyarch, coming out with maps/game types/new missions/storylines that are great and show a lot of effort

the titan pack from epic for ut3 was another example of huge dlc that they didn't have to make but they did, and it was absolutely free

putting shit on a disc and then having to pay to unlock it is pretty bad and makes the company look bad in the eyes of the consumers, whereas the other companies that put a lot of effort into their product look like heroes
Old 04-14-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmahan52 View Post
like you said i'm all for it if it takes effort and they actually worked on it as a separate experience

you have companies like bethesda, rockstar, incognito, infinity ward/treyarch, coming out with maps/game types/new missions/storylines that are great and show a lot of effort

the titan pack from epic for ut3 was another example of huge dlc that they didn't have to make but they did, and it was absolutely free

putting shit on a disc and then having to pay to unlock it is pretty bad and makes the company look bad in the eyes of the consumers, whereas the other companies that put a lot of effort into their product look like heroes

Oh man! I totally forgot about the Titan Pack. I haven't even tried my copy of Unreal Tournament yet! I think I'm gonna get schooled by the mouse/keyboard users though!
Old 04-14-2009, 01:55 PM

for some reason my ut3 doesn't like my router so i have to bypass it to play without getting disconnected after five minutes
Old 04-14-2009, 01:59 PM
HDD Contributor

I like DLC, though I don't actually purchase too much of it (excepting Rock Band, where I seem to regularly buy new stuff every 2-3 weeks when songs matching my taste come out). So far I've only bought stuff like the Prince of Persia DLC, some LBP stuff, and Bioshock. But if more expansions along the lines of what the 360 gets (in terms of Mass Effect or GTA IV style expansions) were to come along I'd happily buy those.

For the most part however, it's specific to games. If I liked the game, I'm usually happy to get more DLC related content for it, provided it suits my interest. Like in the case of RE5, even though I enjoyed the game, the Versus Mode holds no appeal for me since I'm not a big competitive multi-player guy.

But I've resigned myself to take it on a case by case basis. Some DLC (like what Bethesda does with Fallout Oblivion) is worth it, while other DLC (like what Bethesda did with Horse Armor) is just a joke that I don't take too seriously at all.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:43 PM

To me, DLC (whether it's really on the disc or not) is a product. It's either worth the money, or it's not. If it is, I like it. If it's not, I don't. 9/10 times, it's not. It's usually some overpriced map pack.

It's really that simple. I don't feel it's some kind of sea change in the game industry. It's like the retail game itself. Is it worth the money? No? Well, then I won't buy it. That's all. I don't find it any more duplicitous or amoral than, say, deciding to charge $1.50 for a candy bar instead of $1. It's just supply and demand.

However, there is one exception to that simplicity, and that's when DLC is advertised as some kind of selling point of one version of the game over another version, ahead of its release. This implies the DLC is going to be worth something and should therefore affect which version of the game to buy. So when that DLC turns out to be blah, that DOES feel like a bit of a slap in the face.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
To me, DLC (whether it's really on the disc or not) is a product. It's either worth the money, or it's not. If it is, I like it. If it's not, I don't. 9/10 times, it's not. It's usually some overpriced map pack.

It's really that simple. I don't feel it's some kind of sea change in the game industry. It's like the retail game itself. Is it worth the money? No? Well, then I won't buy it. That's all. I don't find it any more duplicitous or amoral than, say, deciding to charge $1.50 for a candy bar instead of $1. It's just supply and demand.
The problem is, we all know what a Mars bar tastes like compared to an Oh Henry.

With DLC, it can very well be a crapshoot. I enjoyed Prince of Persia but I thought the DLC was recycled garbage.

Quote:
However, there is one exception to that simplicity, and that's when DLC is advertised as some kind of selling point of one version of the game over another version, ahead of its release. This implies the DLC is going to be worth something and should therefore affect which version of the game to buy. So when that DLC turns out to be blah, that DOES feel like a bit of a slap in the face.
You talking about Mirror's Edge? If not, what game?
Old 04-14-2009, 03:26 PM

For me it depends on the content. New tracks and cars for Forza? Bought them all. New episode for GTA4? Plan to buy it (not LIVE access). New "DLC" just 1 month after game's release that should have been free (RE5)? HELL NO!!!

I also think that collector's editions should have access to all DLC free. Maybe not GTA4 episode type but extra customes, tracks, or a small add on yes. Give the gamers a bigger incentive to buy the CE version and people will flock. Maybe then developers will get the consumer to drop $20-40 on something that costs them $2-3 more to make and if CE owners are guaranteed that any DLC will be theres free, expect more to pay for it