Audio nerds get in here. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-11-2009, 10:44 AM

Default Audio nerds get in here.

I'm looking for a new pair of high quality earphones for my DS/PSP and mainly for the gym

Just looking for audio nerds opinions, right now i'm favoring this:
http://www.buy.com/prod/shure-se530-...204563889.html

but I keep reading on how poor the cords are and how they break.

Any better options or opinions?
Old 04-11-2009, 11:41 AM

I can give you an opinion, but then I'll be known as an audio nerd.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:53 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Bliss View Post
I can give you an opinion, but then I'll be known as an audio nerd.
fire away. we're all nerds here in some form.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingtotalass View Post
fire away. we're all nerds here in some form.
The Shures SE530 ear phones are the best along with Ultimate Ears UE-10 Pro and UE-11 Pro. I own the shures for about 4 years now. I have tried so many other EPs but I always end up returning to the shures. The issue with the cables is a thing of the past. They have resolved these annoying cable problems that plagued these EPs for years. I should know 'cause I had to send them back twice for repair. They sent me brand new ones both times. That's what's great about Shure, their customer service is the best, the last time I sent mine out they were the s500 PHT same model but with a different name. Once I knew that they have the new model SE530 replacing the 500s then I requested mine to be replaced, and they did with no questions asked. The SE530s all have the new cables with a smoother cable that doesn't crack with use. The older models had this stiff layer that any sweat or body oils would make it crack eventually. Thank God all this happened within the 2 year warranty time. On the sound quality, they are considered one of the best, when I listen to music on them, I'm always amazed on how good they sound. Some people say their bass is a bit rolled-off, but it doesn't bother me at all. Actually after some burn-in they do sound much clearer and crisp. EPs don't require much burning -in, about 50 hrs or so. Anyway man, you can go wwrong with this choice of ear phones, looks like you've done your homework, nice choice! Just stay away from the overhyped Bose ear phones. Here's a link to a review on the SE530s: http://www.headphone.com/products/he...hure-se530.php LEt the nerd name calling begin: right? Point Dexter?
Old 04-11-2009, 12:36 PM

Thumbs up

hahah dude that's awesome input I appreciate it, buy.com has them for 274 shipped so after your input i'm going to buy.

I am one of the biggest video game nerds on this board probably, I have a gamer score a hair away of 40,000 it's totally cool. This board is kind of like the end of "Revenge of the Nerds" when everyone mans up to being one in some form

Myself i'm cool with it, i'd rather be a nerd than a "cool kid" of today.

Thanks again for the input, the cord weakness had me weary as using them in the gym would speed up the brittle. But if I can i'll get a warrenty to.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:25 PM

Sony MDR-EX51LP - They sound decent with surprising bass, nothing amazing, but your source is obviously lossy MP3s. They come with three different sizes of silicone earbuds for a good fit. Best part is that they're $20, so you won't mind too much if you destroy them while you're getting buff.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:29 PM

I've own the Sennheiser CX300 earphones for about 4 years now, and given they are mid-range interms of investment, I'm incredibly happy with them.

I purchased them to replace the buds that came with mi 160Gb Classic (utter pieces of crap), and I fell in love with these.

My advise is, if you are going to give them a "rough" use (gym, the bus, street, running, and so on) I think you'd be more confortable spending around $50 bucks on a set of these, which are great, rather than a $100 and up on audiophile-quality earphones (which would be best suited to use in your own house, at the office, or on vacations) which usually have awesome terminals but poor cords.

Imagine getting the cord of a $150 earphones, stuck on a machine @ the gym... there's no warranty coverage for that, man!!
Old 04-11-2009, 02:04 PM

I use a pair of these.

http://www.amazon.com/AUDIO-TECHNICA...9472920&sr=8-6

and love them. Great sound, but low bass (if that's your thing). They're also cheap, and have the added geek bonus points of being the same brand/style (but not model) as the ones that the main character in persona 3 wears.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Lugo View Post
Imagine getting the cord of a $150 earphones, stuck on a machine @ the gym... there's no warranty coverage for that, man!!
Well these are 500 dollars MSRP, and I always have a cord go dead on me or like the left ear phone dies out when I touch the input etc. (in the past with other brands)

So i'm buying a 3 year warrenty from Square Trade with ADH (accidental handling) so if I drop it or break it using it in the gym it should be covered. It's 50 bucks with ADH but considering the investment it's worth it.

I've spent a ton on ear buds in the past, broke bose ones through wear in tear (drove me nuts and wouldn't stay in my ear anyway, didn't care) and also accidentally washed my 100 dollar metal skull candy ear buds which shredded the cords.

So i'm going to the next level and protecting them, since i'm used to above average quality anyway the 40 dollar Sony headphones don't cut it!
Old 04-11-2009, 02:13 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingtotalass View Post
I am one of the biggest video game nerds on this board probably, I have a gamer score a hair away of 40,000 it's totally cool.
How does that translate into PS3 tropy-countese?

Actually, never mind. Maybe I don't want to know.