Amazon - The MS Point Alternative - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-08-2009, 10:49 AM

Default Amazon - The MS Point Alternative

Amazon opened a Xbox Live store allowing customers to purchase with real money Microsoft Points, Gold subscriptions, and Arcade titles and instantly receive a download code once the transaction is completed. This takes care of the time you have to wait for a the card to ship to you if you ordered these items in the past and expands the number of games you can purchase download cards for. This might also open up the possibility for promotion codes that can save people a little bit of money in the process. (I haven't been able to try my ECA code yet.) Amazon is looking to do that same thing for PSN and Wii/DS customers.

http://www.amazon.com/b/?node=979417011

Source:http://feeds.gawker.com/~r/kotaku/fu...i-ps3-incoming
Old 04-08-2009, 10:59 AM

Browsing now, kind of nice. Literally buy a game for 5 bucks without dealing with MS points.

Looking to see if you can preview premium themes now which would be awesome.

hmm no themes available yet
Old 04-08-2009, 11:04 AM

Quick question about the ECA. Do you only get one code until they get the issue resolved with Amazon? If so I will wait to they get it worked out but if you can get codes whenever you want for the 10% off I might join today to see if this works with MS points through Amazon. If not I will wait until the ECA gets everything worked out with Amazon.

EDIT
Prices need to match cards IMO. Right now 13 months of live is $42.79 if you order the card. It is $49.99 for the online code. I hope they change this so prices are the same.

Last edited by diggumsmax; 04-08-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:17 AM
Watcher of stances

count me in, always hated having to buy XBL points in blocks.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:34 AM

Hmmm, buying in blocks hasn't really bothered me all that much to date. But I'll give it a whirl perhaps.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:44 AM

This is good if you don't snag point cards on the cheap like i always try to do. If i can get a $20 point card for $10-15, then i'll do that. But if i dont have any points and just want a $10 item, i'll use this amazon feature
Old 04-08-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealo View Post
count me in, always hated having to buy XBL points in blocks.
I really, really, really, really wish they would put the actual dollar value of your purchase next to the point value. It's very annoying not knowing exactly how much you're paying for something. I very much detest points and companies that insist on company debit cards which you pay into and use later on....and here's why.

You pay them $60, and say for the first month you don't use it. Well, it's instantly removed from your account, thus your account isn't earning any interest on that money. So, it's completley and totally to the companies benefit for you to buy points/put money on their card ahead of time since they're able to not only track your spending, but to earn interest on the money YOU'VE given them ahead of time, instead of keeping the money for yourself. Individually it might not seem like a big deal, but collectively if people spend $60 in points * 10, 000, 000 users * .02 montly interest rate, it ends up being about 12 million in profit, without their having done a thing to earn it.

Last edited by Godstar; 04-08-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingtotalass View Post
Browsing now, kind of nice. Literally buy a game for 5 bucks without dealing with MS points.

Looking to see if you can preview premium themes now which would be awesome.

hmm no themes available yet
That's one thing I really appreciated in moving from my 360 to my PS3 - was actual dollar amounts. Also, for the first year or so I had my PS3, you could purchase something on your credit card for its EXACT cost -- you'd have nothing leftover in your psn wallet after the purchase. Recently, I think they moved it to a $5 minimum expenditure -- so anything over $5 is something you can charge your card for the EXACT price of -- but it's still better than nothing.

I hate having leftover money sitting in some non-bank account.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:58 PM

Finally! I might actually buy something now.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:32 PM

I wanna see it in reverse order. You can EARN MS points by attaining achievements and then SPEND them on amazon like real money. Once they do that, count me in!