A sad day indeed, SoTC the game - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-07-2009, 09:31 PM

Default A sad day indeed, SoTC the game, the movie

http://weblogs.variety.com/the_cut_s...velopment.html

Can someone else qoute the article please?

For me personally this is horrible, the article talks about making SotC into a LOTR type epic, which would ruin the solitary exprience of the game IMO. im sure shadow will have somthing to say about this.

Last edited by Astreocclu; 04-07-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:33 PM
Watcher of stances

Sony adapting 'Colossus' into movie
Popular PlayStation 2 title heads to bigscreen
By MARC GRASER

Sony will adapt the popular PlayStation 2 title "Shadow of the Colossus" into a bigscreen actioner, with Justin Marks penning the screenplay and Kevin Misher in negotiations to produce.

"Colossus," which bowed exclusively on the PlayStation 2 in 2005, revolves around a man named Wander who must travel across a cursed wasteland and defeat 16 creatures, known as the colossi, in order to restore the life of a girl.

Project, which proved a big seller for PlayStation and was produced internally by Sony Computer Entertainment, will build upon the vidgame's fantasy setting of a solitary world with few characters other than the 16 enemies.

"Colossus" is the latest high-profile project for Marks, who is writing the redo of "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: Captain Nemo" at Disney, with McG attached to direct. He recently landed "Suicide Squad," based on the DC Comics book, at Warner Bros., for which he's also written "Green Arrow: Escape From Supermax," also based on the DC character, and "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe."

He's also adapted "Hack/Slash" for Relativity, based on the Devil's Due comicbook, and the '80s TV toon "Voltron: Defender of the Universe," for Mark Gordon Prods.

Misher will produce through his Misher Films shingle.

His pic "Fighting" bows this month through Rogue, and "Public Enemies" goes out this summer through Universal. Misher has a number of projects in development at Paramount, including the romantic comedy "Swingles" and "One Free Murder," which Marks wrote based on an idea by Nicholas Pileggi.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:38 PM

kill me now
Old 04-07-2009, 09:54 PM

Why was this even considered?
Old 04-07-2009, 10:22 PM

this guy also wrote the shitty new street fighter movie, great
Old 04-07-2009, 10:30 PM
HDD Contributor

This is, indeed, bad, bad news.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:36 PM

*sigh*

Whatever.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astreocclu View Post
http://weblogs.variety.com/the_cut_s...velopment.html

Can someone else qoute the article please?

For me personally this is horrible, the article talks about making SotC into a LOTR type epic, which would ruin the solitary exprience of the game IMO. im sure shadow will have somthing to say about this.
I absolutely have something to say about this - and it might surprise some people.

For years, I have dreamed and wished that Shadow of the Colossus and (to a lesser extent) Ico would be made into movies. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm as much of a movie fan as I am a gamer. So, just making it into a movie isn't enough - it has to be true to the game and the artistic expression of Fumito Ueda and Team Ico. That is, obviously, a very tall order for a movie industry that is only beginning to look at video games as a source for adaptations. So, the fact that Marks and Misher are attached to the SOTC movie production doesn't surprise me one bit. And I'm very much against the movie being made simply to capitalize on the coolness and "wow" factor of CGI colossi.

SOTC is about the story to me, so my dream is to have people produce, write and direct it who are well respected in the industry. The obvious choice for director would be Guillermo del Toro, who directed the critically acclaimed Pan's Labyrinth (excellent, by the way). Not only has he gone on record multiple times showing that he is a legitimate gamer, but he said what is easily the greatest compliment any Team Ico fan could ever hear:

Quote:
There are only two games I consider masterpieces: Ico and Shadow of the Colossus
http://kotaku.com/5042252/two-gaming...f-the-colossus

For anyone who's a fan of Team Ico, that comment shows that del Toro, simply put, "gets it." He understands the Team Ico games and appreciates them for what they are. What more could you want from a director of an adaptation of SOTC (or any game you love)? I have no doubt that everything I love about SOTC would be reflected in his film adaptation of the game. And, of course, I'm not the only one who thinks this. Do a search for "Guillermo del Toro Shadow of the Colossus" and you'll see countless sites where people are saying the same thing.

Also from that link above, check out this quote:

Quote:
I absolutely loved BioShock. I loved the world, the design, the lighting, the beautiful art direction and cinematography. I’m a fan of Silent Hill, Resident Evil and Devil May Cry. I love them all. The first Silent Hill was so beautiful, almost like a Lynch, Polanski or Romero type of horror experience...
I mean, how could you not want your favorite game turned into a movie if he was behind it?

So, long story short, I was delighted to hear that SOTC was going to be turned into a movie. But I was devastated to hear that it will likely be just a bullshit CGI, Uwe Boll quality action flick. I hope this production fails, but I'm happy to see that a niche game like this actually caught the attention of Hollywood.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:30 PM

I agree with that, if a game like bioshock or SotC COULD be made into a movie that does them 100% justice, and are every bit involving, i would be 110% behind that. However i don't think ive seen a movie that even comes close to the game, and until i do i am going to assume game movies=crap.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:34 PM

GOD DAMNIT! Why not get Del Toro to make them, not fucking douche chun li guy.

Last edited by BladeofTheImmortal; 04-08-2009 at 09:49 PM.