Penny Arcade episode 1 worth 800ms points? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-07-2009, 11:19 AM

Default Penny Arcade episode 1 worth 800ms points?

Just saw this was the LIVE deal of the week, and the 1st episode of this episodic RPG is cut from $20 to $10. The demo I thought was creative and interesting and not a bad RPG. Just was curious how the entire game holds up or does it get repetetive/stale or compelling/fun story etc?
Old 04-07-2009, 11:27 AM

The story's very very funny. So are the enemies. However the plot isn't very interactive per se. So if you need a lot of flare on screen you might not like this game.

But the content is awesome, examining random things gives you great dialogue like "this mailbox looks especially nefarious".

If you enjoy little things like that, must buy. I need to go back and finish EP. 2 yet.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:30 AM

how long are the games in general? like ur done after 2 hours or is it like substantial in quantity
Old 04-07-2009, 11:31 AM

I think it took me 8 to 12 hours to complete, I don't remember exactly. The only thing I don't like about the game's is the art direction & soundtrack. I find them boring.

The dialogue and what's actually going on throughout the adventure though is histarical.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingtotalass View Post
I think it took me 8 to 12 hours to complete, I don't remember exactly. The only thing I don't like about the game's is the art direction & soundtrack. I find them boring.

The dialogue and what's actually going on throughout the adventure though is histarical.
I would prefer it if the dialog was hispanical.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:54 AM

Two downsides to the game not already mentioned:

1. There almost seems to be an order in which you must fight enemies (think Mega Man) because it seemed that high level enemies mixed in with the easier guys, making it painfully hard on lower levels if you're not sure where to go.

2. There is a fixed number of enemies aka no level grinding
Old 04-07-2009, 12:53 PM

A buddy of mine bought episode 1 and 2 off of PSN and traded me those for a few of my games... I got maybe 3/4 of the way through the first one and never went back to it. The game itself wasn't very fun to play (I think it would've worked much better as a hack n slash, and not the traditional RPG model they tried to use) and even though some of the dialogue was pretty witty, I felt as though if I had actually paid for the game, I would be feeling rather ripped off.

I only played the 2nd one once by accident when I meant to play the game above it.

I used to be a big PA fan, but I haven't read the comic in a few years, and to be honest, I was pretty underwhelmed by the game itself. But, as someone who doesn't really read PA anymore (Even tho the random ones I get forwarded are occasionally pretty funny), my opinion on the game is probably suspect - it was clearly designed as a love letter to the RPG-minded fans of their comic.

My friend played through them both to get 100% trophy completion, and although he liked it more than I did, he agreed the game itself was kind of bad, and it was the dialogue that saved it for him (That, and he is secretly a trophy whore, he just can't admit it. He had no idea what PennyArcade was when he bought it).

I have no idea how much 800MS points are, but if it's more than 10 dollars, I wouldn't pay it. If you're a really big fan of the comic, then you'd probably get your monies worth regardless of price.