360 games questions. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-06-2009, 04:32 PM

Default 360 games questions.

Now that I own a 360, and I've been making my way through the couple of games I bought it with, I'm looking into what other 360 games may be worth getting.

One of them I'd been considering is Fable II. However, I've heard the game doesn't let you have multiple saves and autosaves at certain times. My question is, how oppressive is the autosave? Can I still enjoy the occasional random killing spree or reload to see what happens if I choose a different path in conversation? Or do I have to constantly live in fear that it'll autosave right I do so and force me to start over if something goes a way I don't like?

Any rumors of a PC version where this restriction could more easily be gotten around?

Second, Mass Effect, at $20 seems like you can't hardly go wrong. My question is more PC vs 360. Reviews I've seen pretty much unanimously say the PC version is certainly the better version, with a number of enhancements made to parts that were annoying in the 360 version. However, I strongly prefer console to PC with other factors even, and was wondering if any of the improvements from the PC version may have gotten patched into the 360 version giving me the best of both worlds?
Old 04-06-2009, 04:37 PM

Hmm good question w/ Fable 2. It's a great game regardless and recommend you get it. I debated here n there of killing indiscriminately but then worried it would autosave at that point and i'd be stuck evil lol. I'm honostly not sure how it works. I know you can manual save, but dunno about multiple save slots. I only rented the game and beat it, so can't check personally. Sorry can't be of more help.

As for Mass Effect, it prolly benefits from an HDD install on the 360, but I can't speak anymore in regards to it as I haven't played.

Overlooked gems though on the cheap for you:

Kameo Elements of Power (Under $10 most likely)
- Great lil Zelda wanna-be game that still has visuals that hold up today with a lively world and compelling gameplay n boss fights/exploration

Dead Rising 1 (prolly around $15)
-Great game with lots of replay value, and will get you ready for the sequel

Condemned 1 (prolly $10)
-Dunno if the original title ever hit PS3, but if it didn,t try out the 1st game as it's much better and creepier then the 2nd game IMO

Lost Odyssey ($15-20)
-Best JRPG this gen so far IMO, but some may argue Tales of Vesperia beats it out. Regardless even those who think that still hold this game in very high regard if you're an old school JRPG fan.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStroms View Post
My question is, how oppressive is the autosave? Can I still enjoy the occasional random killing spree or reload to see what happens if I choose a different path in conversation? Or do I have to constantly live in fear that it'll autosave right I do so and force me to start over if something goes a way I don't like?
Yes, it's not oppressive. It doesn't save unless you tell it to save, so you can go to different zones and do things and then go back. I used that fact to do one of the quests achievements for sacrificing people on the evil alter. I think I sacrificed like 30-40 or so people, it was cool, but once I finished I just reloaded my save and carried on my merry way. Trick is not to save unless you are happy with the choices you make. It's also usefull to save before the end so that when you make your 3 choices, you can do all 3 without having to play it 3 times in a row.

Oh and here are my recommendations in addition to SlayerFaiths, since you're an RPG nut like me:
- Blue Dragon
- Lost Odyssey
- Spectral Force 3 (tactical TBS game)
- Operation Darkness (3D tactical TBS game)
- Culdcept Saga
- Fallout 3
- Infinite Undiscovery
- Tales of Vesperia
- Last Remnant
- Bioshock

Most these games you can get for $10-25 now.

Last edited by Godstar; 04-06-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:05 PM

Fable 2 is ok, but it's a rent or bargain bin title. Unless you're really into the Sims, it's a short game that's stupid easy. And the moral choice stuff is super over rated. You can murder everyone and all you have to do is pay a fine.

Mass Effect is just an awesome game and you should play it. If you have a sweet PC, get that version. If not, the 360 version is great.

You should pick up both Gears of War titles and play them through solo, then find a buddy on Xbox Live to play through co-op on Hardcore or Insane difficulty. The chainsaw bayonet just never gets old. Gears 2 adds Horde mode, which is the most fun I've ever had on Live when playing with 4 friends. If you ever need someone to play these games with, add me to your friends list and I will jump in.

Halo 3 - Nuff said

If you're into JRPGs, check out Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, and Infinite Undiscovery.

Condemned is awesome like Slayer said - just don't expect good graphics...

Ninja Gaiden 2 - Has some slowdown during a few scenes, but overall this is a really kick ass 3D combat game. You can get some serious mileage out of this one.

Also keep an eye out for Forza 3, Alan Wake, a new perfect dark game, and Halo: ODST which will likely be dropping this year.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:16 PM

I'm over 105 360 games now... here are my top recomendations.

Retail Titles:

-Dead Rising - (Under $20)
-Assassins Creed (Under $20)
-Halo 3 (Under $30)
-Gears of War (Under $20)
-Beautiful Katamari (Under $20)
-Call of Duty 4 (Under $20)
-Fallout 3 (Under $50)
-Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Under $20)
-Grand Theft Auto IV (Under $20)
-Fable II (Under $40)
-Lost Odyssey (Under $30)
-Viva Pinata (Under $10)
-Crackdown (Under $20)
-Any Guitar Hero/Rock Band Game
-Amped 3 (under $20)

I tried to recommend a wide variety of titles. Some shooters in the mix, but not limited to them... People always knock Beautiful Katamari but it's addictive as hell, cheap, and well worth the price.

Xbox Live Arcade Games:
-Geometry Wars 2
-Pacman Championchip Edition
-Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD
-Worms
-Marble Blast Ultra
-Bomberman Live
-Uno (Although I HATE this game)
-Carcassonne

Again a wide varitey of games here, all well worth the cost. Also, don't forget the free XBL games...

-Dash for Destruction
-Aegis Wing
Old 04-06-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godstar View Post
Yes, it's not oppressive. It doesn't save unless you tell it to save, so you can go to different zones and do things and then go back. I used that fact to do one of the quests achievements for sacrificing people on the evil alter. I think I sacrificed like 30-40 or so people, it was cool, but once I finished I just reloaded my save and carried on my merry way. Trick is not to save unless you are happy with the choices you make. It's also usefull to save before the end so that when you make your 3 choices, you can do all 3 without having to play it 3 times in a row.
That's good to know. Going on random killing sprees just to see what happens is one thing I truly do enjoy about Western RPGs over JRPGs. If I couldn't do that, it would probably take about half the fun out of the game for me.

Lost Odyssey is the #1 reason I bought 360 so I already have that game. And as much as Strategy JRPGs are my favorite sub-genre within my favorite genre, I admit I've been completely scared off of Spectral Force 3 and Operation Darkness by their abysmal metacritic ratings. You just don't see ratings as low as those every day.

Well I've often disagreed with a rating, I've found it pretty safe that if a game drops below a 70 average, it's not very good. Growlanser Generations is the only game, to my knowledge, with less than a 70 rating that I actually enjoyed. And even I'll admit the last quarter of the game or so was pretty terrible.

ToV is my other game, but I may have to look into Culdcept Saga. Somehow I always mixed it up with the two that had horrible ratings and thought it was one of them, so I find I know next to nothing about it.

Blue Dragon I may have to try if it's bargain bin, but from what I've heard, I really don't have high expectations for it. I'm not the type to enjoy it just for the sake of being old school and I've hard the plot is really slow until the very end with less than stellar characters.

Infinite Undiscovery and Last Remnant also suffer from that scary sub 70 metacritic rating, but at least they're close enough I won't discount them completely.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:24 PM

Arcade games have been supprisingly good pickups, if I were you I'd check out brade or dishwasher dead samuri. as far as full game purchases I've enjoyed:

Overlord (can't be very expensive right now)
Fusion Frenzy 2 (cheap)
DOA 4 (cheap)

Hmmm, aside from the biggies I'm not thinking of other platform exclusives that are little known that I loved.

Edit
Not sure if overlord is out on PS3, I know it has a PC release.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm082e View Post
Fable 2 is ok, but it's a rent or bargain bin title. Unless you're really into the Sims, it's a short game that's stupid easy. And the moral choice stuff is super over rated. You can murder everyone and all you have to do is pay a fine.
Iím gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you on that one. IMO, Fable II is one of the best games of this gen, certainly for adventure games.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:36 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, but I'm afraid I only stick my head out of my JRPG shell a few times a year. Seeing as I bought Killzone 2 about a month ago and still haven't put into my own PS3 (just showed it off when visiting my brother as he's into FPS much more than me) I'm probably not going to to be getting into games like Halo or Gears of War anytime soon.

Still, I do appreciate everyone being so helpful and thanks again for answering my Fable II question so well Godstar.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStroms View Post
That's good to know. Going on random killing sprees just to see what happens is one thing I truly do enjoy about Western RPGs over JRPGs. If I couldn't do that, it would probably take about half the fun out of the game for me.
Great, sounds like a win/win situation.

Quote:
Lost Odyssey is the #1 reason I bought 360 so I already have that game.
It's a great game, probably the best RPG I've played this generation. The only thing that comes close is Valkyrie Chronicles.

Quote:
And as much as Strategy JRPGs are my favorite sub-genre within my favorite genre, I admit I've been completely scared off of Spectral Force 3 and Operation Darkness by their abysmal metacritic ratings. You just don't see ratings as low as those every day.
They are bread and butter turn based strategy RPG's. OD has a better story than SF3, but I personally like the gameplay better in OD. Granted they aren't graphically gifts to gaming, but they are fun. If you like tactical games and are in it for the gameplay and challenge, they are worth the purchase. And trust me, both games are extremley challenging.

Quote:
Well I've often disagreed with a rating, I've found it pretty safe that if a game drops below a 70 average, it's not very good. Growlanser Generations is the only game, to my knowledge, with less than a 70 rating that I actually enjoyed. And even I'll admit the last quarter of the game or so was pretty terrible.
Here is the problem have with the ratings for these games. They're probably being rated against games that have much bigger budgets and better development teams. Also, the turn-based strategy game market is so dead now, it's hard to say whats a good game to compare them to. Valkyrie Chronicles was a great game, no doubt, but it still sold horribly. So in that regard, if you're expecting Lost Odyssey, you'll be dissapointed. However, at the core is great gameplay so if you go into it just for that alone, you might be happy with them. I only speak from my experience, but that's generally how I feel about them. The only truly bad game I've played has been Zoids Assault, and while the gameplay was ok, the story was just bloody awful.

Quote:
ToV is my other game, but I may have to look into Culdcept Saga. Somehow I always mixed it up with the two that had horrible ratings and thought it was one of them, so I find I know next to nothing about it.
Culdcept is a collectible card game trapped on a monopoly board with RPG characters and story line. I adore it. It's a quirky game, but if you can stand that sort of game, you might like it too.

Quote:
Blue Dragon I may have to try if it's bargain bin, but from what I've heard, I really don't have high expectations for it. I'm not the type to enjoy it just for the sake of being old school and I've hard the plot is really slow until the very end with less than stellar characters.
It is bargain bin at this point. You can pick it up very cheap, so it's not a huge monetary investment. Games like that and the others I mentioned are good pickups used from the Amazon Marketplace.

Quote:
Infinite Undiscovery and Last Remnant also suffer from that scary sub 70 metacritic rating, but at least they're close enough I won't discount them completely.
I won't diss them just yet because I haven't played them (every game seems bad if you don't play it and just look at the ratings score), but I didn't finish them primarly due to dissapointment in how they turned out for a Square Enix game, more than because they were bad games. I built them up to be something more than what they could deliver and was mad when I saw the results. I think now I could probably play them having lowered my expectations. I mean every game can't be Final Fantasy if it has the Square Enix on it right?