Gamestop trying to scam me ? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-06-2009, 02:02 PM

Default Gamestop trying to scam me ?

So I traded some games into Gamestop and was about to use the credit to buy GH:Metallica. He said to grab the display copy off of the shelf. There were 2 and he said that they only had 2 left. When I got to the counter instead of giving me a sealed one he took one out of the cabinet in a paper sleeve to place into the display copy case to give to me. I asked if he had any sealed ones and he said that since they were down to 2 he just had these ones. I said no thanks I will get a sealed one from another Gamestop.

So I go to another Gamestop and they tried to do the same thing. I protested and they all of a sudden "Found" a sealed one. This seems very shady to me. They sell the used ones for 55 which is still too much for a used game. I dont know what they pay for a game within its first couple of weeks but I doubt its too fair. At any rate if I am to pay 60 bucks for a game I want a sealed new one.

Sounds like a scam to me. Like they are trying to sell lightly used ones that they bought for 35 bucks for 60 to the next guy that walks in. If they need a display copy why dont they use the 20 pre-order boxes they had out. Why would they open a brand new game just to place it on the shelf. It just dont make any sence.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:05 PM

uh-oh, Here it comes...
Old 04-06-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunyaga View Post
uh-oh, Here it comes...
Is this suppose to mean that they try and do this to everyone ? If this gets ugly I will move it to Smackdown I just felt like they were trying to rip me off.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:11 PM

Gamestop tries that sh*t all the time; selling a "display copy" as new, cuz they claim that the game hasn't been played yet, but they just had to open it to have a display box.

If they ever try that on me, I tell them they better sell it for the used price if the seal is opened, and if they refuse i ask 4 a manager. That's right, I'm a nasty consumer who will b*tch to get their way. It's a shady thing and it might be a scam like you're suggesting, as Gamestop is not the most upstanding company
Old 04-06-2009, 02:12 PM

they do this all the time from what i know, i got them to sell me the orange box and the sonic collection for a used price after some bitching

discs were mint though, it's just the principal
Old 04-06-2009, 02:14 PM

Coming from GameStop, this is nothing new, the practice is called "gutting", one of the many reasons I will never step foot inside their stores again
Old 04-06-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx_75 View Post
So I traded some games into Gamestop and was about to use the credit to buy GH:Metallica. He said to grab the display copy off of the shelf. There were 2 and he said that they only had 2 left. When I got to the counter instead of giving me a sealed one he took one out of the cabinet in a paper sleeve to place into the display copy case to give to me. I asked if he had any sealed ones and he said that since they were down to 2 he just had these ones. I said no thanks I will get a sealed one from another Gamestop.

So I go to another Gamestop and they tried to do the same thing. I protested and they all of a sudden "Found" a sealed one. This seems very shady to me. They sell the used ones for 55 which is still too much for a used game. I dont know what they pay for a game within its first couple of weeks but I doubt its too fair. At any rate if I am to pay 60 bucks for a game I want a sealed new one.

Sounds like a scam to me. Like they are trying to sell lightly used ones that they bought for 35 bucks for 60 to the next guy that walks in. If they need a display copy why dont they use the 20 pre-order boxes they had out. Why would they open a brand new game just to place it on the shelf. It just dont make any sence.
I've actually had this happen too. They don't give you a sealed one, but give you one off the shelf. Makes me wonder if I'm not really buying a new game. Anyways, I don't buy games there often anyways unless it's an emergency and even then, I insist on a sealed copy now. If they don't I just suck it up and wait the 2 days from Amazon.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerfaith1982 View Post
If they ever try that on me, I tell them they better sell it for the used price if the seal is opened, and if they refuse i ask 4 a manager. That's right, I'm a nasty consumer who will b*tch to get their way. It's a shady thing and it might be a scam like you're suggesting, as Gamestop is not the most upstanding company
Nothing scarier than a mad gay man in a frenzy! Watch out!
Old 04-06-2009, 02:22 PM

Gamestop is notorious for this behavior and any ex-employee will tell you they are directed by management to sell gently used copies as new. This is one of the many reasons you should avoid Gamestop and spend your money elsewhere if at all possible.

Gamestop is only in business because the majority of their clientele don't realize how much Gamestop is screwing them. Their bread and butter is the uninformed gamer who does not read gaming news or shop on the web.

From my own personal experience, if you are unwilling to buy a game from Amazon and get it a couple of days after release (typically at a discount, and with no tax..............................), you should call the GameStop first and ask if they have a sealed copy available. If they say yes, which they usually will because they want to get your wallet in the door, ask them to hold it for you and give them your first name. It's not policy that they can do this, but some clerks will if you tell them you are heading up there right away. Once you get there, if you get a different clerk who says they don't have any, tell them someone just told you otherwise and you want to speak to a manager. Either they or the manager will conveniently find one in the back somewhere...
Old 04-06-2009, 02:23 PM

and as far as trading in a new game, pretty much right when you walk out of the store it's only worth $30 to them tops