Best PSN/XBL games that no one knows about - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-03-2009, 02:58 AM
Banned

Default Best PSN/XBL games that no one knows about

List the best downloadable games you have/played that not many others seem to have it. The best PSN game I have that gave me 100+ hours of entertainment and counting for $15 (it's now down to $9.99!) is Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle Cars. I urge anyone who likes driving and sports games to try it out. It's a simple game with simple graphics, and matchmaking is a pain since not many people play it, and its lag handling and voice chat is terrible (they say they use gamespy technology for that), but my god, it is worth it. You basically play soccer up to 4 vs. 4, but you use radio controlled cars and have a giant ball to push around. You can jump in the air, perform acrobatics, kicks, etc. And it supports up to 4 player split screen, so it's a great party game as well. It's also shareable, so you and a friend can split it, and both can play online at the same time, even with each other.

There is even a demo on the PSN, so go check it out. I don't play other PSN games a full year after their release, but this one I do. Oddly, it's an UE3 game that's PSN exclusive.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpimgt View Post
List the best downloadable games you have/played that not many others seem to have it. The best PSN game I have that gave me 100+ hours of entertainment and counting for $15 (it's now down to $9.99!) is Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle Cars. I urge anyone who likes driving and sports games to try it out. It's a simple game with simple graphics, and matchmaking is a pain since not many people play it, and its lag handling and voice chat is terrible (they say they use gamespy technology for that), but my god, it is worth it. You basically play soccer up to 4 vs. 4, but you use radio controlled cars and have a giant ball to push around. You can jump in the air, perform acrobatics, kicks, etc. And it supports up to 4 player split screen, so it's a great party game as well. It's also shareable, so you and a friend can split it, and both can play online at the same time, even with each other.

There is even a demo on the PSN, so go check it out. I don't play other PSN games a full year after their release, but this one I do. Oddly, it's an UE3 game that's PSN exclusive.
LOL. That game sounds epic. I am gonna pick it up tonight.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:59 AM

Wik! It's actually pretty good!
Old 04-03-2009, 10:52 AM

although people know about them i like the last guy and crash commando
Old 04-03-2009, 11:07 AM

Has SuperSonic really been out a full year? I thought it was only out for a few months... and I've read it did a lot better in EU (Probably due to the fact Europe loves its soccer) than in NA.

Right now I'm loving some Astro Tripper... 5 bucks for a fun little space shooter with an interesting twist, albeit one that isn't incredibly earth shattering:

With no real back story or plot to speak of, you're a ship. You can face left or right (You flip by hitting O) and you have 2 types of upgradeable weapons: Straight and Angle shots. You can move in 360 degrees, but only shoot in the direction you face. The key is to switch directions and weapons at key times - It's tricky until you get the hang of it (Maybe about 10-15 minutes until it feels natural).

As you upgrade them, Straight shot gets more powerful and a larger direct beam in front of you, while Angle shot (Which starts out as a < type projectile weapon with 2 shots coming out) grows to include more angles from which it fires (Eventually you'll be firing from 6 or 8 angles, but never straight ahead). If you hold down fire, the weapon will exhaust itself, so you should just mash the button repeatedly for rapid fire.

Before this, it was Cuboid - Really interesting puzzle game that makes you think many many moves ahead... For anyone interested, youtube up some gameplay videos. Some of the levels get pretty tricky. I can't explain it well enough with words... but if you watched a few videos, you'd grasp the concept easily. Basically, you get a 1x2 rectangular cube that you flip-flop around the board, looking out for pitfalls, weak tiles, landing on pressure switches to raise/lower panels, etc. Very fun, very engaging.

And of course, I have to plug Pain - Anyone who owns a PS3 and doesn't have Pain is either living under a rock, or has no sense of joy in their life. You have a slingshot (Or a mechanized punching fist, or a pneumatic chair...), you have a dude (Hasselhoff being the best choice), and you have a scene waiting for you to destroy it with said dude. More pain, more points.

I've bought every single add on / new character they've put out for it, because I think it's one of the best games put out on the PSN.

I have a bunch of other titles downloaded... if anyone is on the fence about a specific game, I can tell you my thoughts on it. I'm a big supporter of the smaller indie games they put out on PSN (As opposed to say, games put out by larger name studios like Capcom), but due to budget constraints, I can't always buy them lol.

I'm coming to realization that a lot of these games are much more enjoyable (in terms of bang for the buck) VS big name 60 dollar releases. There are a bunch of really fun looking games on XBL I'd love to play, if I had an 360.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmahan52 View Post
although people know about them i like the last guy and crash commando
I loved Crash Commando - I really need to go back and keep playing it some more, how has the online held up since it released?

I need to stop getting distracted by new games and keep playing my current line up... lol
Old 04-03-2009, 11:20 AM

i haven't played it in a while either
Old 04-03-2009, 11:57 AM

I actually really enjoy Linger in Shadows, even though it's not a game, and Jeopardy - even though it's really a pretty bad game.. no Alex, the character customization is terrible etc..
Old 04-03-2009, 04:53 PM

IMO the best PSN downloads are:
Super HD Stardust, Flow, Tekken 5R.

The best 360 downloads:
Braid, Dishwasher Dead Samurai, Puzzle Quest, Catan
Old 04-03-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godstar View Post
IMO the best PSN downloads are:
Super HD Stardust, Flow, Tekken 5R.

The best 360 downloads:
Braid, Dishwasher Dead Samurai, Puzzle Quest, Catan
Have all 3 of those (for PSN)

SSHD is one of the most fun games i've played in a long time.. I can zone out and play that game for hours.

Flow is really fun, when there was literally nothing else on the PSN, it was a blast. It's still a great game... For anyone who enjoyed the first part of Spore, get Flow.

Tekken DR... Meh. I dunno... I played it a little bit but I regretted the purchase... I've stopped playing Tekken until they man up and release a Tekken Tag 2. TTag was one of the most fun games I played back when I first got my PS2, and the nostalgia is slow to wear off.