Nvidia provides free physics tools for PS3 developers - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-17-2009, 09:56 PM

Default Nvidia provides free physics tools for PS3 developers

Admittedly, I have no clue if this is necessarily something to get hyped about or cheer. I'm guessing, at the very least, it's just one more tool devs can use to have fun with the PS3 console.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/17/nv...s3-developers/

"Sony Computer Entertainment Inc and Nvidia have inked a deal to bring PhysX SDKs to registered PS3 developers free of charge. The partnership gives PS3 devs the binary version of the PhysX kit, which includes a full-featured application programming interface and physics engine.

And just like fellow middleware Havok, Nvidia PhysX is also free for PC developers. Most games developed with PhysX have been PC titles (Empire Earth III), but PS3 support seems to be growing. In the past, PhysX was used in 2006's Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire. Not the best game out there, but future titles that will harness PhysX in some way, such as the upcoming PS3-exclusive Heavy Rain, show much more promise"
Old 03-18-2009, 04:56 PM

Analog I think it may be a big thing since Sony has gone on about Physics operations or other posters on here, about how the CELL processors really eat up Physics calculations.

This would just make it a lot easier to tap into that aspect of the CELL I suspect. So depending on how big said company is about physics aspects in their games it could speed up production of their PS3 games.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:00 PM

sounds good for the PS3 platform, I suspect this is a result of their selecting nvidia as the GPU of choice for the console and microsoft's falling out with nvidia with the original x-box.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:22 AM

It been free on the PC and only a handful of titles used it so I wouldn't expect much to change.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Man View Post
It been free on the PC and only a handful of titles used it so I wouldn't expect much to change.
It's hard for PC games to invest in something that they can't be guaranteed that the end user will have. I'm sure it would see more use with the PS3 considering you could use it as a centralized physics solution that every PS3 in the world would be able to run.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasl View Post
It's hard for PC games to invest in something that they can't be guaranteed that the end user will have. I'm sure it would see more use with the PS3 considering you could use it as a centralized physics solution that every PS3 in the world would be able to run.
Speaking of this type of thing, has Monolith started to even look at offering a BR edition of some of their newer stuff. I mean I know they don't usually have an issue with multiple DVD's but it would be nice to see new comp. games in general just run the game directly off the BR instead of this HDD install nonsense.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarang View Post
Speaking of this type of thing, has Monolith started to even look at offering a BR edition of some of their newer stuff. I mean I know they don't usually have an issue with multiple DVD's but it would be nice to see new comp. games in general just run the game directly off the BR instead of this HDD install nonsense.
It doesn't make a lot of biz sense so no they haven't to my knowledge. Considering to the best of my knowledge there's never been a PC game released on blu-ray, and how long it took the PC games industry to simply switch from dvd to cd I wouldn't be expecting any publishers to be doing it in the near future.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:48 PM

See I could never understand that. I mean PC gamers were always the one's bragging about getting the new graphics card on the market and they were too cheap to buy a DVD drive?
edit: I just checked your backlog. Do you know Japanese?
Old 03-20-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarang View Post
See I could never understand that. I mean PC gamers were always the one's bragging about getting the new graphics card on the market and they were too cheap to buy a DVD drive?
You're thinking hardcore PC gamers. Most PCs tend to be 4 years behind the curve, and BR drives even now aren't standard. You also have to factor in that re releasing a game really doesn't happen all that often. Most games don't have sustainable sales more then a couple of months past release. Only the biggest of biggest have a long shelf life and most of the time the extended shelf life of games is simply companies trying to sell the stock that they've already got.