HAZE, 1 year later...You were right. You were all right - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-24-2009, 06:57 PM

Default HAZE, 1 year later...You were right. You were all right

I picked up HAZE the other day. My impressions of this game were that many people reacted badly to hype. The game was perhaps over-hyped, and nit-picked, but the game actually turned out pretty decent, maybe a 70% to 80% effort, and well worth the play. Sure the Mantel Soldiers are dick-tards (sorry- no offence to any dick-tards in here!), but that was planned in the story.. people just need to realize this. Sure the bodies dissapear when you kill, but that's Mantel control too. Oh, Resolution, well - COD4 wasn't 720P either.. so I'm sure it's just nit-picky. I've had my eye on it since I played the demo, and I've re-played it a few times. It seemed fun, just not a must- purchase. Well, I was at Futureshop the other night, and it was 23.99. Finally the time to buy it.

Friday night my buddy and I played it for a while. I just looked up the walkthrough on IGN and we've now made it through 6 chapters, which up until this second, I thought were one or maybe 2. There apparently are 15 chapters, so I will update once we've played through, if we can stomach it.

The first thing we noticed that really sucks, is the menu system for co-op doesn't make sense, fine - single player and then join the other guy, that works, but it's dumb. Split screen.. well, you can't choose how this is done, and the angle is too narrow (they split it vertically, and give a tight, zoomed FOV, so gameplay isn't very natural feeling). Okay, fine, well at least you can change all your controls, and custom map.. right? well, yes and no. If you spend 10 minutes mapping all your controls, but re-map the nectar administration button, your vehicle controls will change, and it won't let you proceed or save, until you've fixed this. Fine, change vehicle controls.. wait, now we are in an endless loop saying that not all vehicle controls are mapped, but no more are given. Great. How hard is it to do a COD4 setup? Honestly.. remap, but leave the Nectar button alone, and don't touch the vehicle controls (which, by the way, I'm already dreading driving a vehicle - which FPS had good vehicle driving? If you're gonna say Halo or R1, Nope, they sucked.. forget that crap).

20 minutes in and we still haven't played the "demo" portion of the game. The game gets started, my expectations are still there for a decent, fun game, that might be a little on the sucky side with some issues.

Then, the cutscene happened. Oh, my flyingspagettimonster. Wow, was that ever long and the quality seemed suspect. The dialogue was pretty bad, and the voice "acting" on a couple of the characters was pretty bad. The best part was the whole, "hey, good to have you back, we missed you.. this is Jon, Kevin, Tiny and the black guy with the ridiculous voice" I think the writers forgot that the guys were supposed to know each other. Anyways, nice to meet you Snads, James, Vsions, Badger, Mid, HuskerGuy, Mase, Viewsonic etc. After playing through the demo portion (of which the computer controlled guys did most of the killing as we were figuring out the crappy controls) we are "treated" to another crappy cutscene that takes itself way too seriously, has terrible dialogue that deals with complex subject matter, all too simply, and does not know how subtlety works at all. The animation (or in-engine rigging) was pretty bad, looking like a bad PS1 effort, and the graphics were pretty plain and low detail. (both models and textures).

The cutscenes are too long. Far too long. I can't wait to start Killing the Mantel troops, but at the same time, I know the "rebels" will be as bad in the cutscenes, and I'll want to go back to killing them.

Good points - well, for the most part the shooting is satisfying, the controls are not however. There is no run, so you are stuck just going in slow or slower (crouch) mode. I'm trying to think of more good points. Co-op, that's also nice to have, up to 4 player, and I think you may be able to multi with bots, we haven't tried yet. For the most part, the graphics are passable, but as soon as you put something else in, you see how lo-res the game is. We put in Battlefield BadCompany, and were blown away with how crisp it was, and realized how bad HAZE was in this regard. I don't find this with COD4 though, and it's subHD... I think the modelling and texturing might be responsible. It's all very boring.

Design is boring, stale, and seems very focus-group driven.

Vehicle section was terrible, some of the campaign is just walking for the purpose of walking, no enemies, or puzzles/switches.

All in all, this feels like a game that was thrown together, and I don't think SONY had a right to market it the way they did. Pretty poorly done.

I will have more thoughts later, I just had to get this started. Anyone else have anything to share?

I have to say, yes, you were all right. This game is pretty bad. I expected to like it, but I'd say that the action ranges in score between 40% to 65% for a grade, and the cutscenes are a dismal 10% to 20% - because they are so long, it makes this "game" very difficult to play, and sit through those things. I'd say in overall quality, it could get a 30-40% from me.

I was hoping 65% at least I will try the multiplayer, and see what it is like, but I don't have much hope.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasp View Post
I will try the multiplayer, and see what it is like, but I don't have much hope.
I dont have much hope of you finding anyone online to try the multiplayer with )
Old 02-24-2009, 07:41 PM

I don't know why you even bothered with HAZE. Your money could have gone to something better, like a good older PS3 game, maybe a new type you never tried out or dare I say it, a 360 game? a Bluray? I wouldn't pay $10 for HAZE.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:44 PM

You decided you wanted to push your luck? Bad idea.

*in b4 BBM*

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 02-24-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewsonic View Post
I dont have much hope of you finding anyone online to try the multiplayer with )
Yeah, not playing online, I will be trying this split screen only. That is if my buddy is a masochist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuco33 View Post
I don't know why you even bothered with HAZE. Your money could have gone to something better, like a good older PS3 game, maybe a new type you never tried out or dare I say it, a 360 game? a Bluray? I wouldn't pay $10 for HAZE.
Well, in Hindsight- a good, older PS3 game like ?? That's actually what I was hoping for on this one. I don't have a 360, so as bad as HAZE is, I am getting more gameplay out of it than any 360 game! ) I don't watch movies too much, Well, the thing is that I liked the demo, and for the most part, around here, I take everything with a huge grain of salt, I thought (as I mentioned in the OP) that I expected that it was pooh-poohed because of the PS3 haters. I also don't agree with popular opinion lots, and am glad to play some games that others may not like! This just isn't one of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslaught X View Post

*in b4 BBM*
Yup. I will definitely give Timeshift some pause - this is one of those B games I was considering.. Unfortunately, I had put those games in the same category as Army of Two (elevated) and, well, Army of two was okay.. but I see that these are natural stinkers now.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:10 PM
Banned

Quote:

*in b4 BBM*
you beat him this time! he might be out, Sodomizing Underage Boys.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:03 AM

Quote:

*in b4 BBM*
Screw you... You knew I was gonna post anyway...

In anycase, I still maintain that it's a servicable shooter. In fact, during the ice storm a few weeks ago, when I lost internet on campus, I was bored enough to play through the entire game in one sitting.... And I did. And it wasn't that bad. Definitely not as disgusting as TimeShift or Turok or BlackSite or Conflict: Denied Ops or.... I could keep going, but I won't. Point is, those games make Haze seem awesome... Because are truly awful. What Haze is, is mediocre. Servicable, but not extraordinary. Kinda like WalMart brand lemon soda compared to Sprite. Not as good but not awful.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:39 AM

Well, I gave single player a try last night, and finished my time with the Mantel troops. I wanted to see what the combat was like full screen (not co-op) Just to see if I enjoyed it - as I said earlier, the gunplay is somewhat satisfying. 15 minutes later, and I've gone through a couple horrible cutscenes, run through a swamp, with no gun and the mantel helicopter w/searchlights chasing me (but no consequences that I could see - I never got killed despite not knowing where to go..) and never got any gunplay in before I saw my buddy come online w/COD4. Needless to say, I chose COD4 and had a blast..

BBM - I don't doubt that it's a serviceable shooter, you MUST be able to skip the awful cutscenes after finishing it though. They are awful, and FR would have had a much better game, had they taken them out and just had a loading screen with a dossier on it. The game would seem to be much higher quality.

Out of the Junk games you mentioned, I played only Conflict:denied ops. I got it again, because of the co-op and split screen - I was deciding at that time between it and Army of two.. I think I may have enjoyed Conflict better, although that game was buggy as hell - if you didn't kill all the guys in a level, you'd have to go back and find 'em, kill em' and then progress. I only played in Co-op and we never finished it.. oh I remember now, yes it was really really shitty. The Sniper rifle was gutless, and you could only use it if that's who your character was. I sold that for Army of Two..

Yeah, you're likely right about HAZE being better than Conflict, but the cutscenes are definitely not. Maybe we should play it online co-op some time (if that's possible)..