Look out, GameFly: Blockbuster to launch online game rentals - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-11-2009, 06:55 PM

Thumbs down Look out, GameFly: Blockbuster to launch online game rentals

PRESS RELEASE -- An upcoming pilot program from Blockbuster Inc. (NYSE:BBI) (NYSE:BBI.B) , a leading global provider of media entertainment, will offer consumers one-stop shopping for their online video game and movie rental needs. The pilot program, which will be launched during the second quarter, will allow select BLOCKBUSTER Total Access(TM) online customers to rent video games, as well as movies, through the mail as part of their subscription plan. With a goal of having the offering available nationally in the second half of the year, the company is launching the pilot program as the first step in its plan to make BLOCKBUSTER Total Access the only online rental service offering both movies and games.

"We already rent more video games than any other company, store-based or online, in the nation, so we know our core customer loves games as well as movies," said Bob Barr, Vice President and General Manager of blockbuster.com. "With this pilot program, we're laying the groundwork for offering BLOCKBUSTER Total Access customers easy online access to the movies and games they want, through an integrated subscription offering. Plus, according to their plan, they'll continue to be able to exchange their by-mail rentals both for free in-store movies as well as half-price in-store game rentals. A combination video game and movie online offering -- with in-store exchange privileges -- is a tremendous value and convenience offering not available through anyone other than Blockbuster."

In addition to more than 90,000 movie titles to choose from, BLOCKBUSTER Total Access subscribers in the pilot program will have the option of selecting from game titles across major platforms - including Nintendo Wii(TM), PS2(TM), PS3(TM), Xbox and Xbox 360. Participating subscribers will also continue to have the same subscription benefits as they currently do, plus the added benefit of video game availability.

http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/...-game-rentals/

What, no GameCube loving
Old 02-11-2009, 07:02 PM

With the recent price increase of in store rentals, I can doubt this will compete with Gamefly either.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:36 PM

If they add on demand streaming to BD players, PS3's and Xbox's it'd be one killer service. I'd prefer a Netflix-Gamefly merger and a single monthly fee, maybe this will catalyze such an event...
Old 02-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Watcher of stances

hopefully netflix buys gamefly and i only have to pay for one service
Old 02-11-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealo View Post
hopefully netflix buys gamefly and i only have to pay for one service
Even better!
Old 02-11-2009, 09:17 PM

would be nice to consolidate netflix/gamefly for sure.
One would hope..
Old 02-11-2009, 09:21 PM

Would be nice to have Netflix in Canada.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:22 PM

LOL if the Blockbuster game service is as bad as their movie service (in terms of quickness to get movies vs. netflix) it won't be good. Although gamefly is super slow too. I would give it a look though.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:20 PM

gamefly rewards are awesome though. It would be nice to have one service for movies and games, but I'm pleased with netflix and gamefly.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:25 PM

It would be very nice to have 1 service for both. I would eat that up I think, if it was good. Gamefly rewards are awesome though.