Sony: PS3-focused 'movie plus game' Blu-ray Discs coming this year - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-11-2009, 05:00 PM

Default Sony: PS3-focused 'movie plus game' Blu-ray Discs coming this year

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/11/so...oming-this-ye/

Could be slightly cool, providing the cost benefit is there....and the games don't suck. I'm guessing, from what it sounds, it may be more of a demo aspect?
Old 02-11-2009, 05:04 PM

Hopefully the games won't be completely shitty... I don't see them packaging anything worth a fuck though, unless they ramp the price up where nobody will buy them.

It is a bit of a problem, really... make the game where it only plays on the PS3 and the Blu-ray loses a selling point for anyone who doesn't have a PS3. Make the game shitty and the PS3 guys will let you know that it sucks ass.

I don't see it working out for the better. They might piss off 3rd party Blu-ray manufacturers as well.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceNine View Post
Hopefully the games won't be completely shitty... I don't see them packaging anything worth a fuck though, unless they ramp the price up where nobody will buy them.

It is a bit of a problem, really... make the game where it only plays on the PS3 and the Blu-ray loses a selling point for anyone who doesn't have a PS3. Make the game shitty and the PS3 guys will let you know that it sucks ass.

I don't see it working out for the better. They might piss off 3rd party Blu-ray manufacturers as well.
Ever the buzz kill...goddammit.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnalogKid View Post
Ever the buzz kill...goddammit.

Let me try again:

Holy shit! This is going to be fucking amazing!!!
Old 02-11-2009, 05:47 PM

Holy shit.

That's going to be fucking boring.

Seriously. Will they enclose anything else but demos? I don't think so.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:04 PM

I will definitely check it out. In essence, by putting a blu ray movie and a PS3 game on the same disc, Sony and the rest of the BDA will have to play it safe I would think, and release popular hits. This could be beneficial to new PS3 buyers.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:41 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by darczap View Post
I will definitely check it out. In essence, by putting a blu ray movie and a PS3 game on the same disc, Sony and the rest of the BDA will have to play it safe I would think, and release popular hits. This could be beneficial to new PS3 buyers.
They've already done this. It was called Dragon's Lair.

Oh, and Space Ace.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post

Oh, and Space Ace.

Hmm. That does sound awful.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnalogKid View Post
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/11/so...oming-this-ye/

Could be slightly cool, providing the cost benefit is there....and the games don't suck. I'm guessing, from what it sounds, it may be more of a demo aspect?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceNine View Post
... I don't see them packaging anything worth a fuck though, unless they ramp the price up where nobody will buy them....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx123 View Post
...Seriously. Will they enclose anything else but demos? I don't think so.
...Uhhh....Is February 2008 already such a distant memory that people here have forgotten that this concept has already been done & implemented before on the PS3?

The Stranglehold Collector's Edition (which was initially only $10 more than the regular one) had both the movie Hard Boiled in 1080p Blu-ray video, and the Stranglehold game itself.
http://www.amazon.com/Stranglehold-C...4409591&sr=8-5

Now, admittedly, it wasn't 100% what they're proposing (you had to launch the game in order to play the movie). But, the whole question of "Would it be more than a demo" has already been settled, no?

(And, as far as cost, this disc can now be had for around $20, depending where you look for it. IMHO, both a great old movie, and a very cool videogame --especially for that price.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post

Oh, and Space Ace.
No, they've already done this. It was called Stranglehold (Collector's Edition).

But, what the heck is your point, exactly? Dragon's Lair & Space Ace were sourced from Laserdisc-based arcade videogames. Just like the previous DVD versions of these "games", they were not "games" in the traditional sense at all: just a series of timed/selective AV tracks.

--That doesn't even come close to what even Stranglehold did ... which itself is still a step or two away from what this article proposes: that the discs released this year would play like normal Blu-rays on any set-top player, but also be able to launch a 'real' PS3 game if played on Playstation.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:41 PM
Banned

Sounds like they are talking "full games"
http://kotaku.com/5151969/ps3-games-...d-on-same-disc

I could see this as a marketing tool, buy a new movie and get a movie tie in game, or buy a new movie and get a "platinum hits" game for free. Excellent value proposition...it's like getting two things you love on one disc. Microsoft can't match this, other than offering free rental coupons with the purchase of full games. (might not be a bad idear!)