Sega pits Aliens vs Predator on 360, PS3 in 'early 2010' - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-11-2009, 11:54 AM

Default Sega pits Aliens vs Predator on 360, PS3 in 'early 2010'

Quote:
Announced at a Sega event in London today, the "all-new" Aliens vs. Predator (that's a working title, folks) will mark the return of Rebellion, developers of the 1999 game of the same name that Sega calls a "legendary title that went on to define an entire generation of multiplayer gaming." But all this excitement doesn't come cheap: "With the opportunity to publish what promises to be a landmark game, SEGA has strategically updated the release of the other upcoming Aliens titles currently in development within its portfolio." We'll translate that for you: you won't be seeing Gearbox's Aliens: Colonial Marines FPS and Obsidian's is-that-still-in-development Aliens RPG anytime soon.

CEO of Sega West, Naoya Tsurumi, explains, "By adjusting the release of our other Aliens titles to accommodate [Aliens vs. Predator], SEGA will ensure that every title lives up to the high expectations of Aliens and AvP fans." We've asked Sega to clarify the delay (it's just a delay, right?) of both previously announced titles. Is Aliens vs. Predator "the first to launch in a series" of AvP games, or "the first to launch in a series" of Aliens games, including the previously announced two?

SEGA AND TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX LICENSING & MERCHANDISING ANNOUNCE NEW
ALIENS vs. PREDATOR GAME

Signing of Rebellion's Aliens vs. Predator makes for a third Aliens franchise game, which will be the first to launch in series.

SAN FRANCISCO & LONDON (February 11, 2009) SEGA of America Inc., SEGA Europe Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox Licensing & Merchandising (Fox L&M) today reveals exciting new details of their increasing portfolio of upcoming games based on Twentieth Century Fox's Aliens universe.

SEGA will publish an all-new Aliens vs. Predator (working title) game in early 2010. The game is currently in development with independent developer Rebellion, creators of the original 1999 Aliens versus Predator; a legendary title that went on to define an entire generation of multiplayer gaming.

With the opportunity to publish what promises to be a landmark game, SEGA has strategically updated the release of the other upcoming Aliens titles currently in development within its portfolio.

"The innovative new AvP game presents an exciting opportunity for us," says CEO of SEGA West, Naoya Tsurumi, "It represents a fantastic addition to our growing Aliens franchise and the reinvention of one of gaming's most cherished iconic titles. By adjusting the release of our other Aliens titles to accommodate it, SEGA will ensure that every title lives up to the high expectations of Aliens and AvP fans."

"SEGA continues to create masterful games based on our Aliens franchise and this new addition is sure to continue their successful track record," said Gary Rosenfeld, Senior Vice President, New Media for Fox L&M.

SEGA will announce further details of the new Aliens vs. Predator very soon.
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/11/se...010/#continued
Old 02-11-2009, 12:14 PM

Awesome!

I'm still torn between whether I liked the first, or Monoliths sequel more.

Hmm...

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:01 PM

pssh...give me the damn Colonial Marines game first.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:09 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairlesswookiee View Post
What he said.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairlesswookiee View Post
Amen. I feel like I was just ****-teased. I'm all for an AVP game, especially by the group that made one of my favorite PC games ever, but I really hate losing the Marines title.

It was going to be nice to have a purely Aliens product for once. Why does Fox always tie the two franchises together nowadays? This is why we'll never see a Predator 3 I think.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:50 PM

I hope its similar to AVP2 on the PC. That game was epic.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:51 PM

Last i heard Colonial Marines was better left unreleased.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:51 PM

Um, need jizz in my pants gif now.

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 02-11-2009, 11:22 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasl View Post
Last i heard Colonial Marines was better left unreleased.
You just keep raining on my parade for this one, man...
Old 02-12-2009, 07:34 AM

I was thinking about the Predator last night when its Chimeran bastard children were killing me repeatedly on R2.

This is on my radar, definitely.